Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

How happy are you with your NX Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 06:13 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How happy are you with your NX Hybrid?

I'm currently zeroing in on the NX200t but keep harping whether I should be giving some serious consideration to the NX300h.

I drive mostly city, until I go cross country, so perhaps 50/50 overall.
I don't commute as I'm retired.
My normal driving habit is without heavy foot. An exception to that would be when passing on 2-lane highways. For that I do like having my current 2L turbo kicking in to get by traffic swiftly.
I usually drive speed limit, + 5/10km on occasion. Mostly 100/110, occasionally 120km/hr (60-70mph)

While I'm not in the mountains much, I do have to cross them if I go any distance. Some grades are 6/8 percent with some being short and others long grades, up and down.

Possible pros:
I think I would like the Hybrid technology. I say think, because I'm still learning about it.
Loosing a bit of cargo space - not a problem.
My towing would be well within limits.
Like regular gas as well as the possibility of increased range.

Possible Cons:
How much noisier would the 'h be under normal driving conditions ? Hoping to drive one next week to see for myself but would welcome comments.
In sport mode, how much slower for passing or hill climbing than the 't ?

While the hybrid is premium priced it may be a good time to buy one now due to slow sales.

Final decision is very personal and ultimately I will make it.
However, I want to avail myself to as much information as possible, pro and/or con and that includes feedback from current owners.

With luck, perhaps there are some owners in British Columbia to share their views.

What did I miss in my pros & cons?

Perhaps I'm totally nuts, but I have to work it through
The following users liked this post:
4482 (12-21-19)
Old 01-31-16, 10:15 PM
hwitten
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.... put a few miles on the dealer's NX300h tonight, highway and country.

Impressed. Noise not bad at all. Power seems plenty. Cruising at 100 km and stepping on it put me back in the seat. Ample for passing I would think.

Not impressed enough to pay the premium though

Main objective of this test drive was to spend time in the seats and to try out the goodies included in the Executive trim and to get a feel for the Nav and trackpad, lighting, etc. All doable, so for now the NX stays on my list, NX200t that is.
Old 03-05-16, 02:48 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife and I love her NX300H we couldn't be happier she loves the ride the power it gets up and goes the comfort , back seat is roomy with reclining seats and she is in love with her car, its loaded with options

2015 NX300H
2016 ES300H
Old 03-05-16, 04:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, from their Owner Surveys, NX owners are quite satisfied. Their report says that 75% would "Definitely Buy Again" which ranks it pretty high in the segment.

Others that did well were Macan 93%, A3 79%, Q5 79% and MKC 75%.
Old 03-26-16, 09:16 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We really enjoy our hybrid NX. It is smoother and quieter than the turbo, and while it doesn't have nearly as much power, it has plenty for our needs. We stepped down from the RX so we are enjoying the more compact size, while still lamenting the slightly bouncier, noisier ride. All told, we still think it was a good compromise, especially now that the new RX has grown so large. This is why there are different size cars with different power plants - to meet different preferences and needs.

Anyway, so far so good and in our case, with our needs for easier ingress/egress, we would absolutely do it over again. We also had Priuses for over ten years that we really enjoyed (except they were a bit noisy) and a hybrid ES, so we are very familiar with Toyota's hybrid drivetrain and appreciate the smoother quieter drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
4482 (08-17-19), ridenfly (08-19-19), summariess (10-17-20)
Old 03-26-16, 09:17 PM
Balien
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink E-CVT for the Win

So Far we love our Hybrid. The fuel economy is great, the engine noise is better. Plenty of power for me. I think this version will be much more reliable than a turbo. The hybrid system has no Alternator or starter or Belts at all. It's the same system as the Rav4 hybrid expected to be bullet proof. If your keeping this Car long term I would definitely get the hybrid. The only negative I have found is my breaks are a bit noisy as you stop. It's probably just some rust on the Rotors because they never get used due to regenerative breaking.

Another thing i like is the Hybrid NX uses the Electric AWD motor at all times from a stop below 2 degrees C up to 7KPH. This makes it grip ice in the city even with stock tires better than any car I have ever driven.

Toyota's E-CVT is engineering marvel if you don't believe me watch these video's

Traditional CVT designs are weak

Toyota's E-CVT

Old 03-30-16, 08:57 PM
Balien
Driver School Candidate

This car grips ice really well even without winter tires. When it's below 2c all 4 wheels using hybrid motors pulls you from a stop up to about 7kph. Very smart design.
4482 (08-17-19)
Old 03-31-16, 08:32 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am driving a 2016 NX300h while my RX400h is in for maintenance.

I'm mixed on it so far - it doesn't have as much "pep" as the 400h (unless it is in Sport mode, which defeats the purpose of a hybrid).

The size of it reminds me a lot of my old RX300 (except it is "shorter") - each generation of the RX has gotten longer - and now seems a little too big for my liking.

I do like the overall design (except the location of the radio!) & size - and when it comes time to look into replacing my 400h, the NX300h will be on my short list.
Old 04-04-16, 03:04 PM
anidream
Driver School Candidate

have had mine for 5 weeks and i love it. Had all the options put in it including rear power seats , body side moldings and then installed (myself) running boards. Couldn't be more pleased with the look. The car will never win a drag race but then again it was not why i bought it to begin with. Plently of get up when needed. getting 32mpg already and expect it to increase.
4482 (12-21-19)
Old 04-04-16, 03:32 PM
anidream
Driver School Candidate

Sorry first time responder- ride is quite good although not an Rx, braking is very good; seats are extremely comfortable; storage easily handles a few golf bags and overnight bags; rear seats are very roomy and comfortable; window clearance all around is good although right rear makes you feel as though someone is coming up on you(overcome by blind spot monitor system); pre collision and radar cruise control is ideal; contrary to other comments have no problem with touchpad; sport mode gives all the extra acceleration you might need
Old 02-20-18, 07:26 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the 2.5 with the electic motor they put in the Camry, Avalon, es300h, and now the nx300h is an awesome motor. it has plenty of power to get around and we all sit in traffic at some point and we cant avoid stop lights. It is a great gas saver and the ability to go many more miles between fill ups
4482 (08-17-19)
Old 03-09-18, 06:05 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I test drove an NX300h extensively and it has a beautifully crafted interior. Speaks volumes of the attention to detail that Lexus put into this vehicle. Whilst not as powerful as the NX200t, I think that the NX300h has more than enough power for daily driving, just as long as you are not pushing it hard all the time.

I ended up with an RX450h as I needed a bit more space in the cargo bay area. The ride on the RX was also a bit more compliant on poor road surfaces, but the RX is not perfect as it has slight interior trim movement noises which the NX didn't seem to exhibit.

Overall, the NX is a lovely package, and as long as you keep to Lexus recommended tyre pressures, and not attempt to pump it up for the sake of getting better mileage, it makes for a sufficiently comfortable ride.
The following 5 users liked this post by tempestv8:
4482 (08-17-19), astinus4 (03-12-18), Fran124 (04-28-19), summariess (10-17-20), TexasDave (06-05-18)
Old 05-06-18, 08:16 AM
ronr9286t
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Just turned in our RX450h with the "last 3 payments forgiven" option. The 450h was our second RXh, having one of the very early 2006 RX400h models. Loved that one and liked our 450h, although it didn't drive as well as the 400h. It is larger and seems a bit ponderous. and the steering is particularly "dead" on center. That made the 450h less of a pleasure on long trips.

I test drove an NX200t when they were first released. I was not impressed. My experience was rough driving experience and not particularly quiet. We chose a 2015 RX450h and loved it, with the exception of the items I listed, above.

At my 450h's last service, I got a brand new NX300 loaner, and really liked it. Took it home and my wife drove it and we concluded that this would be a good replacement for the 450h. The advances in the technology really enhanced the value and usability of the NX.

We were about to sign the papers and set in motion the dealer trade required for us to get our preferred configuration when I realized that we ought to look at the NX300h. We test drove the only one they had in stock, and loved it. The h model is not available in the color/interior combination we wanted, and my wife doesn't like white cars (their in-inventory h was Pearl White). We used the acceptance of the color combination as a bargaining tool, and got what seemed like a reasonable cap-cost reduction.

We drove it home yesterday, and so far, we're pleased. We put almost 100 miles on it yesterday, and are averaging 33.1 mpg on the dash meter. Road trip today (Tucson-Tombstone-Bisbee).

Ron
Fran124 (04-28-19)
Old 12-08-18, 09:00 AM
Lead Lap

Received 748 Likes on 502 Posts

Interior space of NX vs Rx from 2010-2015? How does it compare?
Old 12-11-18, 10:47 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I own NX and RX. Rx is not much bigger elbow/knee/shoulder/head wise but does feel more spacious. Definitely has more cargo room. My R elbow is very uncomfortable in NX because "arm rest" is positioned too high for normal human anatomy. None of that in RX. You are sitting a bit higher in RX, if it makes difference. I am 6' 4.5""
I believed RX seats were the best ever but my legs go numb in RX after about 30 min driving. I can take well over an hour in NX before getting uncomfortable. But in NX, due to canoe front seats design, you have to sit very still and straight, or your body parts start hitting this and that.
Fran124 (04-28-19)

Quick Reply: How happy are you with your NX Hybrid?