Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

12.3" monitor freeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 05:08 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 12.3" monitor freeze

550 miles thus far. Navi system froze. Zero ability to use any function. Locked out for 20 minutes, never returned to life until I shut my 2016 RX 450h down. This served as a reboot I suppose. I'm hoping this was a mere glitch and not an omen for what's ahead. Anyone else experience this? The NX board is loaded up with threads describing similar issues.

Fantastic vehicle, other than this one incident.
Old 12-05-15, 07:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

About 10 or so owners reported the freezing issue on their NX's: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-thread-7.html

The fix is for Lexus to replace the head unit. Hard to say how it will turn out with the RX's but at least Lexus will tackle it right away as they have for the NX.
Old 12-06-15, 01:35 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

To reboot the system without restarting the entire car, just press and hold the volume **** for a few seconds until you see the start screen again.
Old 12-06-15, 03:38 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks Dshar. Hopefully this was a glitch and it will not reoccur. If it does, I will attempt your suggestion. Most appreciated.
Old 12-08-15, 07:07 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had two head units replaced on my 3RX over 4 years. All due to freezes.
Don't tell me this BS persists on new navigations as well damn Lexus navigation core team needs to be rehashed or something :/
Old 12-11-15, 04:26 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You knew there was going to be trouble when one of the first instructions in the 2016 nav manual is how to reboot the system.
Old 12-11-15, 04:34 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Not sure whether it is the current gen head units or the software but these new head units are so slow. The one in my '13 GS isn't peppy by any means but compared to the one found in the '15 GS, it's a supercomputer.
Old 04-25-16, 07:43 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up my 4Rxh last week and I'm still learning all the new stuff...no freezes yet. However, the dealer finance person wanted to sell me the extended warranty by informing me that if the Nav unit goes out after the warranty (I think the head unit and 12" screen are combined) it costs $11K to replace! I almost buckled at that and signed up for it. She saw the look of horror on my face and thought she had me but an elbow to the side from my wife prompted me to blurt out NO. Whew!
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (11-16-17)
Old 04-25-16, 02:21 PM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have requested that they provide you with a list of parts totaling 11k? Somehow I doubit it very much.
But, here is a discussion on TSB on LX that outlines a multi-display is 4k... Whatever that includes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...first-tsb.html

Its funny, my finance person also pushed warranty, mentioned big screen/infotainment unit as potential high cost... It must work really well, because, you know, its a big screen, so must be expensive .
Old 05-24-16, 10:12 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I just picked up my 4Rxh last week and I'm still learning all the new stuff...no freezes yet.
Well 1 month later I must report it has locked up twice but restarting is pretty easy. And while this isn't a freeze condition I have noticed on a few occasions that the rocker switch between the Map and Menu buttons goes non-responsive with the map displayed (it's supposed to zoom in-out). I can reset the whole unit or just switch to the radio screen where it does work, then go back to the map and it then works as advertised. sigh...

It's on my list for the first service trip.
Old 05-24-16, 10:22 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

With 4RX, I gets soft reboots on a pretty regular basis… about once every two weeks.

The screen suddenly goes dark, music/navigation stops, and in a few seconds, everything's back to normal, with music playing again, but navigation route being re-calculated from the current position.

Not a huge deal-breaker comparing to my 3RX navigation just freezing completely and me missing highway exists and other "fun" things, so I'm OK with that, but as said, Lexus software engineers couldn't build a well-rounded software if their lives would depended on it :/
Old 05-25-16, 07:46 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

macdee,

Wow, what bad luck. Our 4RX exhibited those symptoms less frequently and Lexus replaced it (nav and radio) without question or hesitation. Well, I did track the dates it occurred with a brief description of the event(s).
Old 08-17-16, 01:23 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Well 1 month later I must report it has locked up twice but restarting is pretty easy. And while this isn't a freeze condition I have noticed on a few occasions that the rocker switch between the Map and Menu buttons goes non-responsive with the map displayed (it's supposed to zoom in-out). I can reset the whole unit or just switch to the radio screen where it does work, then go back to the map and it then works as advertised. sigh....
So I have now learned more about how to use this thing. The cursor must be somewhere in the map view, even if you can't see it (as opposed to in the far right pane) for the rocker switch to work.
Old 11-14-17, 07:39 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2016 ES300h that does that. My service guy told me if you hold the on/off button for the radio pressed in for about 10-12 seconds, the system will reboot and you don't have to stop and turn the car off and then on. I have used this trick several times and it works like a charm even while moving.

I mentioned it to other service reps, and none of them knew about it including the service manager. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

Getting a 2017 RX450h for my wife on Thursday. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-15-17, 03:43 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

how or why does your screen freeze ?? thanks for holding the power tip, i'll try to remember that
i have a bit longer to wait for my 450, it's being built the end of the month. so excited !!

Quick Reply: 12.3" monitor freeze