Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

New owner: 2016 RX450h......AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 02:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
It would be good to know the capabilities of what we're purchasing prior to ownership. Not after the fact. I had no idea there was even a difference between hybrid and full fuel versions of this SUV. Seems as though the salesperson should have a better idea of what's being sold. Seems like the brochure should make mention.

Wonderful driving SUV though!
I think that's a bit overstated. If you could not tell the difference between the two versions on a test drive, that means the designs are equally matched and the engineering is more then sufficient.
Old 11-24-15, 08:57 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

CoolSaber....I drove these vehicles in temps of 81 degrees. Not in adverse conditions. No....I would not know safety performance differences.
Old 11-25-15, 10:51 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterun
Mikeivan....no....Although I merely spent 15 minutes in the FWD hybrid, I sensed no difference. I noticed a huge difference between the full gas version (350) and the hybrid (450h). Skip the fuel savings (which really does not pan out, especially since the hybrid runs on premium). The drive, the ride, the quiet and vibration reduced motoring.....made it a "must have" for me. Perhaps it's the added weight, especially with the extra 3d motor in the AWD hybrid....the ride is very different than the RX350, imo. From the moment I drove the hybrid, there was no going back. I recommend test drives in both versions before committing.
One can use regular in the hybrid if they wish as no harm except a tiny less horsepower and slightly less mileage. At the cost difference from regular to premium it is not worth it.

Lexus says premium because that gave them the higher number for the EPA, no other reason.
Old 11-25-15, 07:52 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so technically, u can use reg fuel on Hybrid model? My wife wants hybrid to go to gas station less and just want to have higher range. I told her it isnt to save money on fuel economy.
Old 11-26-15, 05:03 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
so technically, u can use reg fuel on Hybrid model? My wife wants hybrid to go to gas station less and just want to have higher range. I told her it isnt to save money on fuel economy.
Modern engines will adjust timing to correct for the slightly less octane. It seems somewhat counter productive that Lexus wants premium but it is what they had to do to meet EPA standards. Neither your wife or you Lexus will notice a difference.

People will argue this as it is like a religion and the choice it up to you. Your wife will have to fill up less, especially if most of her driving is in stop and go or around town where a hybrid delivers the most savings.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 12-29-15, 11:18 AM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1st post :-)

AWD is primarily for safety, computer control of the rear wheels if traction loss is detected, going away from Volvo XC90 (very safe tank) I would only consider the car if it had AWD, we live in California so not doing much off-roading anyway. The hybrid noticeably does drive different than the gas version and I would suggest driving both before buying, but that's up to you. Really like the car so far.
Old 04-13-16, 08:01 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
RX350 & RXh are FWD all the time. The minute the system detects slip, the Rx350 sends torque to the appropriate axle, and wheel. It can only send 50% to the Rear axle (50% of 267 total torque). The RxH has to engage the rear motor. The difference is almost twice as much comparing the hybrid to the gasoline. However the important difference here is that. the hybrid torque is on demand and available from 0 rpm. The gasoline will not produce that kind of torque curve on demand until it hits the peak curve on the rpm band. Hence although its advertised as 50 of 267, if your stuck in a snow bank, you`ll need to be in the ideal power band and gear to achieve that number
After watching the graphics on my '13 Rxh it appears (and I'm sure I read this before) that the rear electric motor in the AWD hybrid does additionally, in fact, help the vehicle accelerate from a stop. Depending how hard you are accelerating the effect may last for a very short time but it is there none-the-less. Again, if you watch the Energy Monitor, you will see the front motor contribute to driving and acceleration frequently. In the '13 Rxh reviews I recall that's how it could claim more horses than the Rx350 (due to the rear motor's help).

Last edited by TexasRxh; 04-14-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 12:18 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
After watching the graphics on my '13 Rxh it appears (and I'm sure I read this before) that the rear electric motor in the AWD hybrid does additionally, in fact, help the vehicle accelerate from a stop. Depending how hard you are accelerating the effect may last for a very short time but it is there none-the-less. Again, if you watch the graphics, you will see the rear motor contribute to driving and acceleration frequently. In the '13 Rxh reviews I recall that's how it could claim more horses than the Rx350 (due to the rear motor's help).
Have you noticed the rear motor kicking in around turns? Vs the '13 Rxh?
Old 04-25-16, 07:36 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Have you noticed the rear motor kicking in around turns? Vs the '13 Rxh?
Just got my '16 Rxh last week and I'm still learning all the new stuff. I never noticed it on my '13 Rxh but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I'll try to keep that screen up for a while and see what it does.
Old 08-02-16, 12:45 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I believe the rear wheels are also engaged when you FIRST floor it..to give maximum traction off the line.
Old 10-21-17, 05:42 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for bringing back this old thread but does anyone know if we get the full 308hp from a roll? I've been looking at the awd power monitor and notice the rear electric motor only fires up from a stop for traction, and I assume for when there's slip detected. Most of the other times it's never on, so does that mean we don't get the full 308hp since the rear motor doesn't come on if we mash it from a roll?
Old 10-23-17, 12:37 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Sorry for bringing back this old thread but does anyone know if we get the full 308hp from a roll? I've been looking at the awd power monitor and notice the rear electric motor only fires up from a stop for traction, and I assume for when there's slip detected. Most of the other times it's never on, so does that mean we don't get the full 308hp since the rear motor doesn't come on if we mash it from a roll?
I would like to know this too.

I seldom have the graphic that show which wheels are doing what, but after trying it for a while I never saw the rear electric motors kick in.
Old 10-23-17, 10:47 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I would like to know this too.

I seldom have the graphic that show which wheels are doing what, but after trying it for a while I never saw the rear electric motors kick in.
Ok I answered my own question today. Decided to mash the gas fully a few times while looking at the wheel power gauge. Looks like the rear motor does kick in but only if you go past about 70%'ish throttle so I guess we do get the full 308. I was worried it wouldn't and only have the 259hp on tap from a roll. It's throttle based and not RPM based because I tried using the sport manual mode and brought it to redline a few times without flooring it. The rear motor never kicks in that way. I guess I didn't want to smash the gas fully before because I haven't gone past my first oil change yet and also because it's a hybrid I've been playing that how to get the most mpg game.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 09:02 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Ok I answered my own question today. Decided to mash the gas fully a few times while looking at the wheel power gauge. Looks like the rear motor does kick in but only if you go past about 70%'ish throttle so I guess we do get the full 308. I was worried it wouldn't and only have the 259hp on tap from a roll. It's throttle based and not RPM based because I tried using the sport manual mode and brought it to redline a few times without flooring it. The rear motor never kicks in that way. I guess I didn't want to smash the gas fully before because I haven't gone past my first oil change yet and also because it's a hybrid I've been playing that how to get the most mpg game.
I have owned both a 2016 RX350 and now two 2017 450h units. I know when I am doing like 50 on the highway and punch it to the floor, the 450h has a much better kick so those rear electric motors must be working.

Have not used the graphics in the gages but will give it a look!

Thanks for getting this cleared up!

Enjoy!
Old 10-24-17, 02:31 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

The rear motors also activate when you make left or right turns. The idea is that the rear wheel torque will counteract some of the horrible understeer. The car still understeers though.

Quick Reply: New owner: 2016 RX450h......AWD