Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How long for my 2010 RX hybrid "life expectance"

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 12:18 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
although the drivetrain is robust, at the end of the day you wont find too many repair shops wanting to touch a hybrid like say a regular gasoline version of the RX.

For instance if you have a problem with any of the electrical components of the RXH, you might loose the ability to reverse. Not so much on a bog standard RX.
While its true that for some hybrid specified repair you'll want to take the vehicle to a mechanic with the right training (not unlike deciding against taking a non-hybrid to a brake & muffler shop to fix an automatic transmission), your "for instance" is not really a fair assessment. There are components unique to a non-hybrid RX that will leave you waiting for a tow truck that are just as likely to fail, if not more so (transmission & starter motor being at the top of the list)
Old 11-15-15, 02:46 PM
jw5334
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Over a period of a month it just got quite noisy. It was so gradual I didn't notice it at first, until 1 day I was idling at a red light with the windows down and the engine shutdown and the silent was deafening. I said to myself, "holy crap, I'm driving a diesel". Never leaked or overheated, just got noisy. Replaced it and all was quiet again.
Thanks for offering the info. It's much better than drastic engine burn case someone mentioned before.
Old 11-19-15, 12:04 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried to clean the vents, could be some mould in the A/C system.
Yes I did, twice, with a specific product (a 2 Oz. spray bottle, which once activated empties itself, with the air conditioning speed set to the maximum and the a/c filter removed).
I also cleaned the carpet with (another) specific product, replaced the mats with brand new rubber ones, cleaned the leather of the seats (many times)... after all that, the interiors looked almost brand new, but the smell came back again after a few weeks. Strange, uh? I am afraid I have to get used to it...
Old 11-19-15, 12:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

While its true that for some hybrid specified repair you'll want to take the vehicle to a mechanic with the right training (not unlike deciding against taking a non-hybrid to a brake & muffler shop to fix an automatic transmission), your "for instance" is not really a fair assessment. There are components unique to a non-hybrid RX that will leave you waiting for a tow truck that are just as likely to fail, if not more so (transmission & starter motor being at the top of the list)
Not saying you are wrong, but this is how i interpret this question. In the long run, when the warranty is gone, and the years keep piling on, is it fiscally responsible to hold on to a hybrid vs a gasoline only R350. To me no, the Hybride may be robust (taxis etc) but in the long run, cost to own, keeping in mind ease of access to repair facilities, cost of such facilities, parts are going to be far more expensive then a gasoline ony version. In addition, the market devalues the resale value as it gets older (tru for other vehicles, but far more for a hybrid), and also resale value goes down if the gas market is doing poorly.
Old 11-24-15, 01:45 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Not saying you are wrong, but this is how i interpret this question. In the long run, when the warranty is gone, and the years keep piling on, is it fiscally responsible to hold on to a hybrid vs a gasoline only R350. To me no, the Hybride may be robust (taxis etc) but in the long run, cost to own, keeping in mind ease of access to repair facilities, cost of such facilities, parts are going to be far more expensive then a gasoline ony version. In addition, the market devalues the resale value as it gets older (tru for other vehicles, but far more for a hybrid), and also resale value goes down if the gas market is doing poorly.
I have a different point of view but no need to persuade you to change yours. My experience (I am on my third Toyota Hybrid) is that the odds are very high that the hybrid system will work well, dependably and for a very long time. I suspect that it will outlast me, actually. Things made on assembly lines simply do not get much better than that. It amazes me to see so many Generation One Prius cars (there were not that many built) still on the road and looking in good repair.

There are so many things in life which are not certain. Those who win, after all, are those master an understanding of the odds and use that concept well.
The following users liked this post:
DLeebold (02-22-22)
Old 11-25-15, 07:28 PM
jw5334
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allannde
There are so many things in life which are not certain. Those who win, after all, are those master an understanding of the odds and use that concept well.
Well said. As OP, my question is about the probability of breakdown early of a hybrid car. The certainty is they WILL breakdown one day and beyond the reasonable repair. So I am not challenging about the breakdown theory itself, rather to seek historical empirical statistics about such early breakdown. So far I can't find much facts which is encoranging news for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!
Old 01-30-16, 01:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Not to bump an old thread, but I was in this position to acquire a hybrid vs Non-hybrid and on further study it seems as though the statistical data to support one or the other seems a more available. With the recent gas price drops the hybrids depreciation curves have started to plummet and one can acquire a hybrid at the same or less price of a non-hybrid model.

In addition, the maintenance costs of the hybrid seem to run $300-$1000 more over a 5 year period depending on which source of info you go for.

The additional information is that the market is still muddled with the experiences on club lexus. On a random search of the 1st generation Lexus Hybrids the common complaints are:

1) Check Hybrid System
2) High Voltage battery replacement
3) Leaking coolant/ leading to or seperate inverter failure

Most of these costs to replace those top three issues are quite costly. $7k for inverter $6k for battery replacement

Again these are some concerns that a prospective buyer has to take into consideration when purchasing a hybrid for the longhaul.

I agree that these systems are quite robust, but it seems after the warranty runs out, these issues are quite costly to repair.
Old 02-18-16, 12:10 PM
drob5004
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2010 RX450H with 131,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. Gets great gas mileage and is so comfortable. I am 6-4 and appreciate that. For all of you guys who are getting rid of this at 85k let me know. I would love to take it off your hands.
jhanuman (01-17-23)
Old 02-18-16, 01:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad to hear, drob5004. Definitely keep us posted as the mileage climbs. Geez, I'd have to drive mine for another 11-12 years to hit that number. I'm at 42.7K.

BTW, congrats on your 450h. And welcome to CL.
Old 05-06-16, 10:05 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just picked up a 450h with 70k, full service history, every thing done on time.

Hoping for many more trouble free miles.
Planning to do all fluids within the next 5k as I do with every used vehicle I buy so I have a fresh start and a good base to go from.
jhanuman (01-17-23)
Old 05-06-16, 11:06 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by tdott
Just picked up a 450h with 70k, full service history, every thing done on time.

Hoping for many more trouble free miles.
Planning to do all fluids within the next 5k as I do with every used vehicle I buy so I have a fresh start and a good base to go from.
70K? It's just a baby still, probably still has some left over plastic wrap somewhere.
Old 05-06-16, 01:15 PM
tdott
Driver

70K? It's just a baby still, probably still has some left over plastic wrap somewhere.
That's what I'm hoping for!
Old 05-06-16, 06:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Recall that our Toyota/Lexus Hybrids do not have:
alternators, starter motors, power steering pumps
some do not have belts or external pulleys (RX's do)

The brakes can last twice or more longer because
they are used from 15 MPH rather than from 65.
Old 05-06-16, 09:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer
Recall that our Toyota/Lexus Hybrids do not have:
alternators, starter motors, power steering pumps
some do not have belts or external pulleys (RX's do)

The brakes can last twice or more longer because
they are used from 15 MPH rather than from 65.
Devils advocate here for a sec, but what does that have to do with long term reliability? The hybrid setup does not really completely remove start motors, it just transfers that traditional job to another integrated unit.

Same thing with brakes, although your mechanical brakes are doing less work, some other system is picking up the slack. Its one thing to completely remove an item, such an starter motor since there is no IC, but its another thing to redistribute tasks to other components
Old 05-07-16, 08:23 PM
tdott
Driver

While yes i think normal logic and thinking is that hybrid = more parts, therefore more things to go wrong.

But I believe Lexus/Toyota have done a great job with their Hybrids and have kept reliability fairly high even with the Hybrid add-on parts.

Quick Reply: How long for my 2010 RX hybrid "life expectance"