Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Moving On...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 08:44 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Moving On...

I want to thank members of the Club Lexus Community for nearly 16 years of help, thoughts, and friendly camaraderie that sets CL apart — especially those of you here in the RX Forums. Yes, I’ve decided to end my 20-year run owning Lexus, and my time here is beginning to diminish.

After weeks of research and soul searching, yesterday I sold my MBZ SLK convertible, and this weekend I begin preparing my 2013 RX450h for sale, consolidating to a new 100% electric Tesla S90D sport sedan that should arrive next month. No, that’s not the 0-60mph in 2.8sec "ludicrous mode" model — mine is a little more mellow at a paltry 4.2. …and yes, it’s a 4-door, 5 (or 7) passenger hatchback with a frunk, not the soon-to-be-delivered Model X SUV.

What Happened? The brand has been great to me throughout 5 new Lexi, however, some of you may have read in the 4th Gen Forum, that the increasingly aggressive design choices Lexus is making across the line are loved by many, but are not something I personally prefer, nor is it something I believe will grow on me. I was planning to keep my 2013 RX450h for at least another couple years, but the 2016 RX Reveal opened Pandora's box, and I found myself researching more and more future alternatives in the weeks that followed. I'm proud to have owned a Lexus RXh since the first month they came to the U.S. back in 2005, and I've always seen far more benefit owning a hybrid than the math some try to use justifying it over a traditional ICE. I had not paid a lot of attention to the whole Elon Musk / Tesla thing trying to change the world and create a sort of revolution, but it has now captured my attention -- especially being a guy that has always loved technology, and likes to think tries to minimize his footprint on the world even when it sometimes costs him a few pennies more.

I'm taking a huge leap going 100% electric in my garage, back to a single vehicle, with no ICE backup. I know some things with Tesla in their infancy are not as refined as I’ve come to expect with Lexus, but IMHO others are already light years ahead of what the auto industry provides and likely had in their plans before this little start-up came onto the scene. My impression is Tesla service and focus on the customer today is perhaps as great and action-oriented as Lexus was back when I bought my first 1995 SC300, when Lexus was still trying to establish a foot hold for their new brand and wanting to change the world with new paradigms for mass-market luxury vehicles. Anyway, I need to get back on track, so I don't have to moderate myself and move this thread to general chit-chat, so...

I'll still be around for awhile, and who knows, I may be checking-in or own another Lexus one day -- when you'll get to once again ponder or just skip-over some of the longest posts ever produced in these forums. The stellar Anita, Jim, and other RX Moderators that help and keep us all in-line here will still be around as my priorities shift, with some additional Mods coming on-board to help in the RX Forums before too long. I wish Club Lexus, the Lexus brand, and you, nothing but great success. IMHO, Lexus produces some of the best luxury vehicles there are today. It's going to be tough for any other brand to exceed the reliability and confidence I've enjoyed with Lexus for more than 20 years. For those with 3rd Gen RX, enjoy that great ride -- I sure have. For those yearning for a 4th Gen, I'm sure it will be a hit in the market, and you'll be thrilled with the new tech and styling it brings your world.
Side Note: I thought I might think about putting together another post as a 10-year Lexus RX Hybrid owner's reasons and initial impressions making the jump to a Model S 100% all-electric. There won't be any brand bashing, as I don't have any reason to do that -- but some of the ah-ha's I've had with man-weeks of research and a 40-min test drive earlier this week, along with the things that I've taken for granted with Lexus and know I'll miss or have anxiety about on day one, compared to my life with RXh may be of interest to some of you. If there is interest, please post back and I'll consider putting my thoughts into some sort of structure.
I'll see you on the boards. If you're in SoCal later this Fall, look for a Pearl White Tesla S90D quietly driving down the road with the rest of traffic, and a guy behind the wheel with an even larger grin on the take-offs than his pretty-dang-good AWD RX450h provides, or yes, he may be plugged into an electrical outlet somewhere -- recharging.

My best.

Old 09-04-15, 09:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Can someone pass the tissues?
Old 09-04-15, 09:49 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Good choice, I'm envious!
Old 09-04-15, 10:36 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Good day fellow forum members,
As it is plain to see, no, I am not an owner of an RX and never have been, but I am an owner or a 4th gen LS 460.
This is my first Lexus and thus far I have enjoyed every moment of ownership.
I first would like to say congratulation to you BertL, for the purchase of a new vehicle! And from the sounds of it, this was an incredibly far cry from a "snap" decision. It was very researched, informed and calculated, and it seems to be a decision that you're fully aware that, though its not Lexus, you're A. Quite ok with that ideal, and B. Its one of the reasons you choosing another brand. But most importantly, you seem excited and happy about your decision, and that's what its all about!
I, for one, would love to hear you expose on the likeness and differences of the two. Part of that reasoning is because im simply an enthusiast! But as Tesla is emerging in the automotive market, I really don't think there can be too many honest, comparative and first person perspectives regarding an ownership experience. Especially when speaking on comparisons with Lexus, as they are competing in the same luxury segment.
So I'd love to read it if you/once you decide to compose your thoughts.
Lastly, I'd like to say that you are a grand testament and fine example to the level of class that is consistently portrayed here amidst the CL forum virtual walls.
Im not a member of a lot of forums, so I cant speak based off of comparative experience. But what I do know is that I have met some very classy, well-written, polite, jovial, selfless, well-informed, humble and just all around great people on this forum.
Its one heck of a place.
Thank you for allowing me to take up a parking space for a few moments to express my congrats and well as gratitude, as i'll be on my way...
Congratulations once again on your decision and purchase, and i'll be looking forward to hearing about the big "Delivery Day"!

Best regards,
Crowe14
Old 09-04-15, 11:27 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bert,
It's not just all of us Mod's here in the RX forums that have benefited from your 'composed' way with words but also each and every member that's read them.

From time to time a fancy will catch each of us to reach out for a taste. I did last January when it was time for shocks & 12v battery for Watson. But w/o all the details I had to test my faith by looking over the horizon to the 2015 Outback Limited. It's definitely not quite in the same league as the RXh but proudly holds it's own in it's category. In about a year (or less ) I'll be back to Lexus and still unsure as to which one.

I could replace the O/B with the new RX series or possibly Lola with one of the new RC coupes to keep the fun ride quotient and the SUV AWD style at the same time. But I've grown so used to the reason people keep flocking to the SUV style it could be trade both cars and go RX along with something fun like the Mini Vertte or topless Roadster trading the Vette for it. But loosing the throaty howl of the Vette's trumpets pushing out 460hp will be a tough decision . And I'm quite sure the constant admiration and questions from parking lot and gas station looky loo's will not be the same as the Vette offers . Everything is still in flux in that dept.

But it's not necessary you leave us just because you trade genetics. Hang in here as your input will always be a value to us. And like myself, Lexus could still be in your future .

Keep your windshield full of good scenery my friend
Old 09-04-15, 12:52 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I see you've upgrade the battery size to the max size possible. Wise decision. I am still looking to make my acquisition of 13 450h but that was only after considering and doing the math on the Model S many (and I mean many) times. And yes, I'm interested in the speed and range. but not necessarily in that order.

I share your sentiment with the new Lexus design direction. Frankly I think they will do a detour back to what works for Lexus which is conservative design, comfortable ride and rock solid reliability. All these swoopy styling, with low profile tires, and gargantuan grill size makes teenagers excited, but not too many other people. I'd bet that Lexus corporate will realize the original formula was just fine. 99 LS 400 was nice. 2007 (or was that 08) LS 460 also good. The original SC430 was cool. 2nd and 3rd gen GS were also nice. Lastly the 01 and 02 RX were great cars(I'm biased).

Lexus needs to stop this "sport tuned" nonsense. Sports models can be offered as an option (like an F Sport). But don't turn the whole fleet into Maseratis. The base models need to retain that higher than comparable profile ratio on the tires, comfortable damping rates on the shocks, roomy interiors not compromised by swooped back styling and plenty of usable low end torque instead of peaky horsepower that make your 0 to 60 times standout.
Old 09-04-15, 03:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Say it ain't so! Your threads were very helpful, particularly the one that outlined the difference between the '12 and '13 model. I went with a MY2013 based on that thread and couldn't be any happier. Good luck with the new car. Life is too short to stick to one brand!
Old 09-05-15, 08:33 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you the best, and thank you for everything!

Take care.

Chris
Old 09-05-15, 09:29 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Bert, thanks for your calm and level-headed contribution to the forum and of course, your loyalty to Lexus. I understand loyalty to a brand yet when an opportunity arises elsewhere, sometimes you just need to take the plunge.

The Tesla is gaining momentum up here in Canada too and if a compact-size sedan is ever produced in the 50K range, I may one day switch over too. Until then, it's with Lexus since 1991 and still for a little while longer.

Take care and enjoy instant torque!

P.S. I definitely want to hear back from you on the Tesla impressions especially ease of charging, "electricity mpg", and interior build quality, so please post.
Old 09-05-15, 09:56 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your contributions here are one of the reasons we replaced our 2006 RX400h with a new 2015 RX450h. You'll be missed here!
Old 09-05-15, 10:16 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BertL
After weeks of research and soul searching, yesterday I sold my MBZ SLK convertible, and this weekend I begin preparing my 2013 RX450h for sale, consolidating to a new 100% electric Tesla S90D sport sedan that should arrive next month. No, that’s not the 0-60mph in 2.8sec "ludicrous mode" model — mine is a little more mellow at a paltry 4.2. …and yes, it’s a 4-door, 5 (or 7) passenger hatchback with a frunk, not the soon-to-be-delivered Model X SUV.

So you're the guy. Think I spotted your Tesla yesterday. Congrats, that is one beautiful piece of machinery. Must be a different driving experience.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-next-car.html
Old 09-06-15, 05:50 AM
BertL

Thanks for everyone's comments and wishes. I'm glad to hear some of my long-winded posts have made a difference and perhaps allowed some folks to either get into the brand, make a more informed choice, or better enjoy their Lexi as much as I have.

MellonC00:
Yes, I'm after as much range as I can, primarily because of my newbie-to-BEV "range anxiety" concerns. The majority of time, I'm around town or +/- and hour drive from where I live so that's not a big deal for most BEVs today, but I do take 2-3 road trips per year where I need distance. The "low-end" if you can call it that Model S70 has an EPA range of 230 mi, whereas my 90D will be about 286 (at ~65MPH) which includes a new "6%" battery upgrade option that has become available in the last few weeks -- all that of course with lots of caveats how mileage is estimated -- no different than we've come to know with our RX/RXh and the many variables there are. For a Tesla, speed and extreme cold (including excessive use of the cabin heater) appear to be the things that will suck battery the most. Of note, more than 50% of Tesla's to-date have been sold in California, but the next biggest place is Norway, so this cold thing must not be THAT big of a challenge. IMHO, a Tesla has lots more tech around managing battery temp, life and safety than other EVs out there -- e.g. if it's turned off and it gets too cold, it will use it's own battery to warm itself just a bit, or if too warm, will turn on it's air-conditioning to lower the battery temp via it's liquid-cooled environment to help extend it's own life. All that IMHO is likely why Tesla's in-part cost what they do -- the battery is likely the largest part of the cost of the vehicle today -- it's also why Tesla is building their gigafactory in Reno to produce more batteries for all their products. The battery on my S90D comes with an 8yr/unlimited mile warranty that covers most anything except purposeful damage by taking it apart or modifying it in some way, or of course if it's damaged in a wreck. Charging is simple when at home, and Tesla already has 500 superchargers around the world (with 1500 more in-plan for next 2 years) that provide free lifetime charging while on the road to MS owners. Many of those superchargers are expected to be converted to solar power for themselves in the next phase -- permits generally take much longer for that than the initial charging station. Anyway, those superchargers can provide about 150 miles in 15 minutes to a MS like mine -- just enough time to hit the rest stop while charging up or grab a quick bite. You can use your Droid or iPhone Tesla App to check charging status of your car while you're inside, change the amount if your want a larger top-off, or have the aircon going again when you walk back to it ...and of course the car unlocks itself and the door handles will present themselves as the driver approaches. (and no extra charge for any of that functionality for life.) With a recent over-the-air software update provided to all MS, the car's Nav will now constantly keep a watch on your estimated range that is still available based on how you are driving and taking into account the planned route and elevation changes, offering to divert you to the closest charging station if you won't have enough battery to get you to your destination. Tech is pretty neat, and continually evolving with the free over-the-air delivery updates.
corradoMR2:
You better start saving. It was Tweeted by the CEO (Elon Musk) this week that Tesla will introduce their "Model 3" entry sedan with a base price of $35K (US) in a couple years. You'll be able to put a deposit down to be one of the first in March 2016. Forums guess it will be a 4-seater (opposed to MS like mine that is 5 adults + 2 kids in the optional jumper), or Model X that is a full 7 adults in the 3 rows), and have about 200 miles of range vs the more extended ranges of MS and X.
See you-all on the boards! My best.

Last edited by BertL; 09-06-15 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added gigafactory & Norway references
Old 09-06-15, 02:19 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Best of luck. I have enjoyed your posts over the years.

I salute you in your choice of vehicles. I have seen about a dozen of them in the greater Harrisburg area even though the number of charging stations are very slim. But heck the one at home should be just fine 90% of the time.

Please check back on occasion to say "Hello" to your old friends.
Old 09-06-15, 07:16 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Bert for your dedicated contribution to this forum. Many, many excellent posts, along with some of the very best detailed ones. Not the easiest to do even a 2 line post or reply, let alone go the extra as you did many times to help others. I am another member who was influenced by your excellent review of your early release 2013. I even bought Nebula Grey Pearl. Some lucky person will now get your 100%+ taken care of, and better than new 2013. I've zoomed in on your car many times when you post photos, and even zoomed in on your garage which is just as spotless.

I'm sure you are very excited about your new Tesla brand, and it's off the charts ratings, design and technology. Sure you will get your money's worth in entertainment value alone. We travel full time and notice complimentary charging stations for guests at many of our hotels. You should have no trouble with long trips even now, and will only get better. Local driving sure to be a breeze, and fun.

What a difference in looks between your Tesla and the 2016 RX. Thanks for attaching your photo. Good luck, and thank you.
Old 09-19-15, 07:38 AM
BertL

Thanks for the well wishes. Closing this out for now...

It was a very sad day when I sold my 2013 RX450h earlier this week. My new Tesla however, is presently in production, now with a scheduled delivery date of October 5. Assuming that date holds, my custom-built Model S will have taken a short 35 days from order to actual delivery here in SoCal.

For those interested in my initial impressions -- definitely from the POV of a satisfied 20-year Lexus owner and having owned RXh since 2005 -- check out THIS POST on my personal website regarding my S90D. There you'll find specs, some of what's different, highlights of the tech we've yearned for or maybe only dreamed about with our RX, and a list of things I know I'll already be missing on day 1 -- most that we take for granted with our RXs and a mature luxury mfgr like Lexus. You can get to other pages and info about batteries, charging, and such from that page on my site as well.

Pictures will eventually go to my Tesla Flicker album, which can also be accessed from my website HERE. For now, there are only photos of my redecorated garage (in Tesla Red of course), and my Wall Connector that's now installed for rapid home recharging.

Take care all. My best always. Enjoy those RX!

Quick Reply: Moving On...