Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Is there a way to disable the electric motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 05:28 PM
slomofo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to disable the electric motor?

My dad gave me his old car which is an 09 RX with 42k miles. While on a road trip in 2013, trans fluid dumped all over the freeway, dealer said it was leaking out of two places, but they recommended full trans replacement at $7,000 and warranty wasn't covering it for whatever reason, so we towed it over to my place, he went and bought another RX and it's sat here ever since. I was told it was an oil cooler and another leak that nobody can remember.

I needed to free up some space, so I took the front bumper off today, found a hole in the trans cooler on the driver's side behind the bumper, changed that out (those things are NOT cheap BTW), drained and filled the fluid, but now I need to start it up and let the transmission cycle fluid so I can find the other leak. I have a vehicle lift, so normally I'd lift it up, start the car, and let it idle while I stand underneath the car looking for leaks.

Is there a way I can run the gas motor at idle that can cycle the transmission fluid so I can check for leaks or do I have to drive it around the block and cross my fingers hoping I don't dump fluid and end up pushing the car back the second the gas motor turns on?

Semi related, but on a different note. Valvoline Maxlife, or ? If or when the transmission fluid leaks out again, I don't feel like driving back to the Lexus dealer for more fluid, you guys think this stuff will be okay?

Edit: Wow, I've been a member for 8 years and browse the forum all the time. I didn't realize I've never posted before. Well hooray for me and my whopping 1 post.

Last edited by slomofo; 05-27-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 10:39 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can step on the gas pedal in park to get the gas engine running, then put it in Neutral and the gas engine will stay running while in Neutral.

Make sure to use the right type of transaxle fluid, don't risk it in the hybrid that has a special type of CVT transmission.

There was no 2009 RX hybrid, so do you have an '08 RX400h or a '10 RX450h?
Old 05-28-15, 07:07 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

As far as I know Toyota type WS fluid only for the Hybrid. Have found no alternative. Even Amsoil has no replacement.
Old 05-28-15, 09:09 AM
slomofo
Driver School Candidate

It's an RX400H, not 450, so I guess it's an 08 or 07 then? IDK

Anyway, yesterday I had the battery on a charger for about 6 hours at 2 amps, then turned the key on, put it in gear and it started moving. Today I got nothing, I've had it on the charger for about 2 hours now at 10 amps, dash lights all come on, but nothing happens when I try to start. Yesterday when I turned the key on, the steering wheel would move backwards, today it's not happening. I'm not sure if this is just low voltage or what, but I'll wait another hour or so on the charger and see, then I'll try to get the gas motor to kick on.
Old 05-28-15, 09:28 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The stuff from your last post sounds like what my 400h would do when the battery was low. Charger or not, you may need to buy a new battery.
Old 05-28-15, 03:20 PM
slomofo
Driver School Candidate

K, so after charging it up, it goes into reverse now, but doesn't go forward. When I press the pedal, it just makes a noise but doesn't move. Does the electric motor use fluid at all for forward momentum?

I think the trans might be screwed here, not sure.
Old 05-28-15, 06:35 PM
slomofo
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the battery, these cars use the same battery as older Honda Civics which is pretty cool since they're like the cheapest car batteries out there.

Now it only starts sometimes and only reverse works. The dash warning lights display Service AWD System, Service Hybrid System, and various other messages. After some googling, I've found that people with these error messages usually have a bad inverter. I found a recall notice for 06-07 models on the inverter, but can't find anything for 08.

IDK if this is the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas on what the problem could be? If I can't figure it out by Monday, I'm towing it to the dealer and if their estimate is over $2k, this thing's getting parted out on ebay. I don't need another car, I just want this one out of my garage.
Old 05-29-15, 01:47 AM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the gas engine is not coming on at all, since reverse worked. Reverse is all electric on the RX hybrid. You should get the check engine codes read at least, and maybe the gas engine needs servicing.
Old 05-30-15, 12:55 PM
slomofo
Driver School Candidate

There's no codes because no check engine light. From what I remember driving this car in the past, it was all electric until you started moving about 100 yards down the road, then the gas engine would turn on. This car won't go forward at all, only reverse. When I step on the pedal, I can see the tachometer moving up, but there's still no forward momentum.