Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My RX is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15, 02:26 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My RX is leaking

I took my RX450h in for its 30K service last Wednesday. This morning, I noticed a big wet spot in our driveway as I was returning from an errand. It turns out I have a leak somewhere in the rear axle -- viscous, pink fluid. The car wasn't leaking before it was serviced. I have a call into the dealership about this. Obviously, it's not good. Anybody have an idea what this could be? Transmission fluid? Brake fluid? I'm nervous about driving the car the 40 miles to the dealership now.
Old 03-29-15, 02:34 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What services were performed?
Old 03-29-15, 03:26 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be antifreeze coolant.
Old 03-29-15, 03:26 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by litzdog911
What services were performed?
Among other things, they performed a brake flush and refilled with new brake fluid and replaced the rear differential oil. Since the leak is at the rear, I'm guessing it's differential fluid.
Old 03-30-15, 12:17 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you heard back from the dealer yet? Clearly you need to get it back to them to fix this for you.
Old 03-30-15, 03:16 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by litzdog911
Have you heard back from the dealer yet? Clearly you need to get it back to them to fix this for you.
Fortunately, the dealer's service department is open on Sundays. I spoke to the service adviser; he gave me the number for Lexus Roadside Assistance (which I think I already had somewhere). I called them and they dispatched a truck to take the car to the dealer in Monterey, where they serviced it this morning. The problem was a bad washer. It had flattened and split resulting in a leak in the rear axle. It was transmission oil. I wasn't the only one reporting this problem; several others had. They order these things in bulk and apparently they got a bad batch. I could've driven the to the dealer as it turns out. I'll know next time, which I hope there won't be anytime.
Old 03-30-15, 08:02 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to hear , thanks
Originally Posted by Aptosuser
Fortunately, the dealer's service department is open on Sundays. I spoke to the service adviser; he gave me the number for Lexus Roadside Assistance (which I think I already had somewhere). I called them and they dispatched a truck to take the car to the dealer in Monterey, where they serviced it this morning. The problem was a bad washer. It had flattened and split resulting in a leak in the rear axle. It was transmission oil. I wasn't the only one reporting this problem; several others had. They order these things in bulk and apparently they got a bad batch. I could've driven the to the dealer as it turns out. I'll know next time, which I hope there won't be anytime.
Old 03-31-15, 05:26 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
its really nice to hear an example of good service! Sure, it was their issue, but they responded really well. There is no substitute for a good Service Advisor! I'm curious, did they offer a loaner? I wonder if a Ford or GM dealer would have responded as well. Or a Toyota dealer, for that matter.
Old 03-31-15, 08:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, I highly doubt a Ford dealer would be nearly as helpful, and I speak from experience. Meanwhile my Lexus dealer has downright spoiled me.

Aptosuser, I'm glad the dealer found the problem and took care of it. Having the right service advisor makes all the difference. And thanks for keeping us updated. It benefits all of us on this forum. Appreciate it!
Old 04-01-15, 05:32 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Woody, I highly doubt a Ford dealer would be nearly as helpful, and I speak from experience. Meanwhile my Lexus dealer has downright spoiled me.
Pretty sure your right. My sister works at a Ford dealer, and laughs at me when I relate stories of the care I get from my Lexus dealer. She says my expectations are WAY too high, and I'm high maintenance. I can't think of a better endorsement for Lexus.

According to my Dad, people will make mistakes. It's how they respond that speaks to their character. I agree. My dealer has responded very well on several occasions. I just wish their sales dept was as good as their service dept.

Glad this had a good ending!