Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Track Record for Owning a RX 450h Long Term

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 01:46 PM
hefdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Record for Owning a RX 450h Long Term

I'm getting close to trading in my high-maintenance, expensive-to-repair, gas-guzzling BMW M5 for the RX 450h. The BMW warranty ended 3 years ago and since then it's been torture.....its as if BMW hit a switch and things started breaking down one by one. Just a theory, but it seems that since cars today have computers they are programmed to trigger mechanical failures right after warranty is over. I need something that is both green and easier on my wallet and I like the 450h a lot. I'm thinking of NOT buying this time and doing a lease because I don't want a repeat of the same thing as with my BMW. After all, what's' the point of paying off your loan for the right to be free of payments only to "then" live with endless repair bills and headaches instead? So, the $Million question: Before I decide to go lease, how do the 450h's hold up long term? I usually prefer to own but only if the car isn't a reputed maintenance burden. Is this the kind of car that is a good long term keeper, or is it better to unload it after reaching a certain early-on mileage point (and what is that threshold)?
Old 03-19-15, 02:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, hefdog. The 450h hasn't quite been out for six years. That might not be your idea of long term. Maybe you want to check out the 400h forum to see how the RX hybrid has fared. It's safe to say Toyota and Lexus know how to make them. Also, the 450h mileage thread to give you an idea of what to expect in real world conditions. One thing I'll say is don't buy it for the mileage alone or try to justify the extra cost. There's so much more to having a hybrid, like low maintenance costs. I'm sure you like that part. For me, I've only had to do routine maintenance and replace the tires over the past five years. The brake pads can last upwards of 70K miles or more. Overall, less things that can break. Your first two services are free. That'll cover you for the first year and a half. Oil changes are every 10,000 miles or one year. And you can go to a Toyota dealer for the same service and save even more money. The hybrid battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. Again, it can go well beyond that. Extend the basic warranty of 4 years or 50,000 miles to that point and you'll be very well covered.

One last thing. I assume you're looking at the '15 RX450h. The '16 RX is set to debut in a few weeks. Click here for more information. So you'll be buying/leasing the last model year of the third generation.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-15, 06:53 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you keep it long term, you're decision will grow more and more favorable as you drive it. I got the very 1st one in Atlanta late June 09 built in May of 09. At 62,000 it was almost boring as other than taking it to Toyota for Oil, filter, tire rotation and other routine maintenance, it only required sips of gas. My pads at last inspection were only minimally worn and many 400 h owners were getting in excess of 130,000 miles on them. The hybrid system does a lot of the braking for you.

Good luck on your choice.
Originally Posted by hefdog
I'm getting close to trading in my high-maintenance, expensive-to-repair, gas-guzzling BMW M5 for the RX 450h. The BMW warranty ended 3 years ago and since then it's been torture.....its as if BMW hit a switch and things started breaking down one by one. Just a theory, but it seems that since cars today have computers they are programmed to trigger mechanical failures right after warranty is over. I need something that is both green and easier on my wallet and I like the 450h a lot. I'm thinking of NOT buying this time and doing a lease because I don't want a repeat of the same thing as with my BMW. After all, what's' the point of paying off your loan for the right to be free of payments only to "then" live with endless repair bills and headaches instead? So, the $Million question: Before I decide to go lease, how do the 450h's hold up long term? I usually prefer to own but only if the car isn't a reputed maintenance burden. Is this the kind of car that is a good long term keeper, or is it better to unload it after reaching a certain early-on mileage point (and what is that threshold)?
Old 03-26-15, 06:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There's a reason you only get a 4-year warranty with major German brands.
Lexus is the best brand for long-term ownership. My last IS300 lasted me 11.5 years before I sold it.
It was pretty light on the wallet. I had no real good reason to sell it and should've kept it.
Our RX450h is planned to stay for a long term.
Old 03-27-15, 05:18 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, while targeted more specifically to the non-hybrid RX350, THIS POST I made yesterday may be of interest re the just released 2015 JD Powers Dependability Study.