Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

HELP - Major RX450h Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 08:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, we have another member with an F-Sport hybrid. I think they're in Sweden. Like vlad said, unfortunately it's not an option in the US. Plus they dropped the Sport Package, probably in favor of the F-Sport. That was only available on 2010 MY RXs.

rayaans, we're anxiously waiting to find out the cause. It's a painful sight seeing your RXh on the flatbed.
Old 01-08-15, 11:22 AM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the f sport wheels and bumper on my hybrid. Makes it looks like this one pictured. I hate the f sport pedals so the bumper and wheels were the right options for the factory. I believe my dealer sells only hybrids with the f sport bumper and wheels.
Old 01-08-15, 11:34 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Agree with Anita - ouch, that's a rare and painful site. Keep us informed!
Old 01-08-15, 04:37 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Wait. Is that an F Sport Hybrid?? I've never seen one before! That's awesome! Hopefully it's nothing major wrong with it. And sorry to hear about your garage floor
Yep, 450h F Sport, in the UK we only get 450h's, no other engine choices are available! Ah the garage floor, well I did that last year and it peeled under the tyres anyway so will need doing again so thats not too big a deal!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree with Anita - ouch, that's a rare and painful site. Keep us informed!
Hehe its back!! Ran into a tonne of problems upon reaching the dealer apparently. Dealer said that the tow truck guy placed the car in the car park and removed his plastic sliders from under the rear wheels and left.

When the technician got to the car he couldnt move it to the service area and couldnt get it on the ramp. He eventually placed a piece of carpet under the tyres after jacking the car up and used the front wheels to carry the car to the ramp.

After it was on the ramp however, they fixed the problem in less than 15 minutes. Parking brake was frozen solid - I have a feeling it might be because I washed it :O and let it stand

Anyway they asked for £129 + vat so I played dumb and said it shouldnt have happened anyway! I said "id better sell the car if youre telling me I did that" and they didnt take anything lol. Picked up the car today - sooo smooth!! It was like receiving a new car again after driving my wife's clattering Merc for 1.5 days!
Old 01-08-15, 05:14 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad it all worked out. Enjoy your weekend!
Old 01-08-15, 05:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

rayaans, I'm glad the RXh is all better, back home and the best part, no money out of your pocket That's funny what you told them to get out of paying. Just wondering, how cold is it by you?
Old 01-08-15, 06:39 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Rayaan, that's great news. Note to all; if you wash it, drive it to dry all the moving parts LOL. Also glad you didn't have to pay
Old 01-08-15, 09:39 PM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parking brake frozen in a garage? That must be one cold space! Grab the wife's blow dryer next time and spare the hassle of the tow.
Old 01-09-15, 10:32 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
rayaans, I'm glad the RXh is all better, back home and the best part, no money out of your pocket That's funny what you told them to get out of paying. Just wondering, how cold is it by you?
While I was away my father sent me a picture of my house in about an inch of snow so im guessing it got to about -5 at night which would be enough to freeze it!

Luckily the car is fine and running like a charm, just hit 26k miles too

The guys put some PDI bling on it! Fortunately, it went over my sealant and came off within a day as it couldn't bind properly
Old 01-09-15, 11:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Glad it was something as trivial as a stuck parking brake. This happened once to me under the same circumstances with a past vehicle and I learned my lesson never to wash the car indoors and leave it outdoors overnight.
Old 01-10-15, 06:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Ah, the winter woes of washing the RXh. I know it too well The rims tend to freeze before any other surfaces. Other than driving afterwards, there's no easy way around it. I couldn't dry the rims before the water froze in this picture I took last winter. At least they were clean.
Attached Thumbnails HELP - Major RX450h Issue-img_0679.jpg  
Old 01-11-15, 07:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Ah, the winter woes of washing the RXh. I know it too well The rims tend to freeze before any other surfaces. Other than driving afterwards, there's no easy way around it. I couldn't dry the rims before the water froze in this picture I took last winter. At least they were clean.
They dont get as bad as that!

Im surprised they stuck really as I dont think it could have been anywhere near the temperatures you get over there!
Old 01-11-15, 12:21 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Where I'm from in upstate NY it was common for parking brakes to freeze up. So much so, most never used their parking brakes in the winter. It got to be a habit that I hardly ever used them unless I was on a grade but not in the winter especially overnight. (average snowfall 120"-140" and below zero temps all winter)

Glad to hear your RX is OK.
Old 01-11-15, 01:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

And I’m used to setting it from driving manual for many years, LOL! That was in addition to leaving it in gear on hills. I'll have to remember to not set it next time and see what happens. Some rim cleaners can cause the wheels to lock up too. I mention it in case you might've used it during your wash, rayaans. Then again, hybrids don't produce much brake dust. Probably not the case. BTW, I have my temperature minimums when washing, above freezing

Last edited by kitlz; 01-11-15 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 03:10 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

And I’m used to setting it from driving manual for many years, LOL! That was in addition to leaving it in gear on hills. I'll have to remember to not set it next time and see what happens. Some rim cleaners can cause the wheels to lock up too. I mention it in case you might've used it during your wash, rayaans. Then again, hybrids don't produce much brake dust. Probably not the case. BTW, I have my temperature minimums when washing, above freezing
Now that you mention it, I do use a safe mildly alkaline wheel cleaner. Ive been using it since I got the RXh including in the past 2 winters so I dont think it could be that could it?

The temperature was about 4 degrees Celsius but may have dropped to about -1 at night which may have caused the parking brake to stick, especially as it didnt get driven for the next 22 days!

Next time, Ill just leave the car in park without the parking brake on and choke the tyres in my garage

Quick Reply: HELP - Major RX450h Issue