Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Power Meter

Old 12-10-14, 06:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I just performed it ISC and have several times...I have noticed about 1mpg improvement before and after.
Old 12-11-14, 01:59 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, if you (or anyone else) are using some diagnostic tool, which sort of RPM does the ICE reach, when you keep the accelerator pressed for 30 seconds with the shift lever in D?

I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD interface when I perform the ISC.
It shows nicely the coolant temperature, and also the RPM, but for some reason it doesn't give a reliable engine load.
According to the procedure, the load is supposed to be 45% or more during those 30 seconds, but not having a reliable way to measure it, I just keep the accelerator at roughly 70%, which as I understand should be ok.

But the RPM only goes up to 2000 or so, if that - hence my initial question.....
Old 12-11-14, 10:28 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ScanGauge II has a load display as one of the gauges, as one of the many gauges it can display.
Old 12-12-14, 12:37 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Do you mean that you actually tried it, and it gives consistent engine load numbers?
I'm asking because also the Torque app does show the engine load, but the numbers I get are obviously wrong (sometimes it shows an engine load while the ICE isn't working at all), therefore I guessed that the OBD code for engine load is used in a somewhat different way in the 400h.
For instance to show the total load (electric motors+ICE), rather than the ICE load alone, though I'm not sure about that.
Anyhow, I thought that since on Torque the engine load is meaningless, also any other generic apps or tools (like the ScanGauge) would have been equally unreliable....
Old 12-13-14, 12:09 AM
maseace
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Do you mean that you actually tried it, and it gives consistent engine load numbers?
No, I don't know if it's accurate. I just checked it in park without the engine running and it read 0. I'll try it next time I drive the car if I remember.
Old 12-13-14, 02:47 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Thanks in advance, I might well buy one for this reason alone...
Another couple of questions, if you don't mind:
1) when I attach the bluetooth OBD interface, it stays on also after turning off the car and removing the key, so I don't leave it connected at all time to avoid draining the battery.
Does the scangauge have the same problem, or it has some way of turning off itself when the car is not being used?
2) where did you place the scangauge display?
Thanks again!
Old 12-13-14, 12:32 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Thanks in advance, I might well buy one for this reason alone...
Another couple of questions, if you don't mind:
1) when I attach the bluetooth OBD interface, it stays on also after turning off the car and removing the key, so I don't leave it connected at all time to avoid draining the battery.
Does the scangauge have the same problem, or it has some way of turning off itself when the car is not being used?
2) where did you place the scangauge display?
Thanks again!
The ScanGauge has a hybrid mode, so it turns off when you turn the key off, and stays on while driving whether the engine runs or not. I placed it right on top of the steering column, so it's just below the speedometer and info display. Attached it with Velcro.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418502701&sr=8-1&keywords=scangauge http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Automotive-Computer-Customizable-Real-Time/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418502701&sr=8-1&keywords=scangauge
Old 12-16-14, 09:28 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Good to know.
BTW, today I played with Torque app a bit, and aside from confirming that the load number doesn't seem reliable, I noticed that it doesn't show any oil temperature.
I mean, neither engine oil, nor transmission oil, only the coolant - which is handy for performing the ISC, at least...
Can you see any oil temp with ScanGauge on your RX?
Old 12-16-14, 08:52 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Good to know.
BTW, today I played with Torque app a bit, and aside from confirming that the load number doesn't seem reliable, I noticed that it doesn't show any oil temperature.
I mean, neither engine oil, nor transmission oil, only the coolant - which is handy for performing the ISC, at least...
Can you see any oil temp with ScanGauge on your RX?
No oil temp. These are all the available gauges on the RX400h:
RPM
MPH
Coolant Temp
Load
Open/Closed Loop
MPG
Throttle Position
Steering Wheel Angle
Brake Pedal Position
EV Mode On/Off
HP
Cost Per Mile
12V Battery Voltage
Intake Air Temp
Gallons Per Hour
Ignition Timing
Old 12-17-14, 07:32 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

So I have a Scanguage on my truck, did you have to update it for the RX400h?
Old 12-17-14, 02:04 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maseace
No oil temp.
That's a shame, I can't believe that they didn't care to keep that monitored somehow.
It must be in some sort of proprietary, non-standard code.
As I understand, the ScanGauge can also be programmed to read any code which goes through the OBD, maybe it's just a matter of knowing which code is used for oil temp...
Though by "just" I'm not saying it's easy to find out, of course!
Old 12-17-14, 11:35 PM
maseace
Pole Position

I used to have the ScanGauge in a Prius and I added some gauges per their instructions. More of these worked on the Prius, but I listed all the gauges that work on the 400h. Looks like they finally added oil temp on the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...yota-specific/