Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

questions about 2010 450h?

Old 12-05-14, 11:34 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a down payment on a 2010 Ultra Premium w/40K Km (25K mi for you US folks)
get the wife to look it over & test drive it tomorrow
thanks for all the input

mark
Old 12-05-14, 06:39 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

With only the equivalent of 25K, it's like brand new. You should enjoy it for many years.
Originally Posted by mkaye
I put a down payment on a 2010 Ultra Premium w/40K Km (25K mi for you US folks)
get the wife to look it over & test drive it tomorrow
thanks for all the input

mark
Old 12-06-14, 04:43 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
With only the equivalent of 25K, it's like brand new. You should enjoy it for many years.
wow, spending money confuses my brain
it's actually a 2011 (looked at too many)

my wife should enjoy it immensely
(i will too!)

mark

thanks again for all the info on the forum
Old 12-06-14, 01:55 PM
mkaye
Rookie

went to finalize the deal & now some more questions about the extras

corrosion protection
they have a spray $150 and spray + module for $899
they didn't recommend Krown (or any undercoating) which is what i have been using on my 4Runner
i would get an additional 6 yrs
as i said i plan on keeping this 10-15 yrs, so i am considering this - after more research, not any longer...

extra warranty
$2750 now before i pick up the car, $4000 before base warranty runs out in Feb
would get me 4 more yrs - 96 months/160K KM (mileage & yrs will be close to running out together)
i don't expect anything to go wrong with only 40K Km, but i know it is insurance, so i think i am passing on this

mark

Last edited by mkaye; 12-07-14 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 09:01 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 99% sure the corrosion protection is a scam, i can't believe they still offer it.

Warranty I would take. My 2010, I got at 33k miles now at 82k. Loud bangs and tapping sound on start up, check engine light is on. The light comes and goes, its a misfire on #2.

Dropping it off this friday again for diagnostic. They couldn't find issues with it at last 2 5k services.
Old 12-08-14, 11:03 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
I'm 99% sure the corrosion protection is a scam, i can't believe they still offer it.

Warranty I would take. My 2010, I got at 33k miles now at 82k. Loud bangs and tapping sound on start up, check engine light is on. The light comes and goes, its a misfire on #2.

Dropping it off this friday again for diagnostic. They couldn't find issues with it at last 2 5k services.
i looked through the extended warranty thread and most of the thread was about getting the cheapest price on the extended warranty
i saw very few entries that actually talked about using the warranty & whether they came out ahead or not

mark
Old 12-08-14, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Mark, on my previous RXs, I had a few repairs that matched or exceeded the cost of the extended warranty, none so far on the 450h at almost five years. It comes down to deciding whether you want to add that layer of protection or bank the money for possible future repairs. And those threads you read are no longer applicable. Lexus does not allow purchase of the extended warranty outside of the state where the owner resides. You can try to negotiate the price with the dealer.
Old 12-08-14, 06:40 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Ah, Mark, I feel your pain. Toyota/Lexus extended warranty pricing in Canada is ridiculous, but so is the part pricing. The last 3 cars I've purchased I have agonized myself over the extended warranty. Logically and statistically I know that it's a losing gamble, but emotionally it's a warm soft blanket that keeps beckoning to me. So far my mind has won out and the odds have played in my favour. I now have almost 20 combined years usage on my last 3 Toy/Lex vehicles none of which had any failures that an extended warranty would have covered. So I figure I'm already ahead ~ $8000CAD. It's a roll of the dice and the house always wins either way. The only way to guarantee a win is not to play.
Old 12-09-14, 06:16 AM
Cruiter

Andy, your "warm, soft, blanket" quote describes the extended warranty insurance (that's what it is) perfectly. I've never felt it needed with Lexus and been right so far. I did buy it on my new Stingray as the design was a total new car from the ground up. Hopefully it'll become a donation to the General and not used .
Originally Posted by Droid13
Ah, Mark, I feel your pain. Toyota/Lexus extended warranty pricing in Canada is ridiculous, but so is the part pricing. The last 3 cars I've purchased I have agonized myself over the extended warranty. Logically and statistically I know that it's a losing gamble, but emotionally it's a warm soft blanket that keeps beckoning to me. So far my mind has won out and the odds have played in my favour. I now have almost 20 combined years usage on my last 3 Toy/Lex vehicles none of which had any failures that an extended warranty would have covered. So I figure I'm already ahead ~ $8000CAD. It's a roll of the dice and the house always wins either way. The only way to guarantee a win is not to play.
Old 12-09-14, 11:00 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Hopefully it'll become a donation to the General and not used .
Ah, the General... I made regular donations to him in the 90s seeing as how I work within spitting distance of one of their assembly plants, but I ended up making too many donations to the tow truck businesses as well.

I think buying from him should be tax deductible!
Old 12-09-14, 01:41 PM
Cruiter

Ha Ha, wanna be my accountant ???
Originally Posted by Droid13
Ah, the General... I made regular donations to him in the 90s seeing as how I work within spitting distance of one of their assembly plants, but I ended up making too many donations to the tow truck businesses as well.

I think buying from him should be tax deductible!
Old 12-16-14, 09:29 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaye
i looked through the extended warranty thread and most of the thread was about getting the cheapest price on the extended warranty
i saw very few entries that actually talked about using the warranty & whether they came out ahead or not

mark
I can tell you when I get my car back this week, I will be ahead.

I drop off the car last Friday on misfire, banging of the engine. So far, 1 coil pack replaced, 2 injectors. Car still having weird issues. They're having lexus engineer look at it Thursday.. so he has to come out to the dealer and see what going on.

Something happened to my car in the last 10k.. I can't wait to see what else they're replacing.

If you get CPO, you can only buy it at the time of the car purchase. I talked to the guy they recommended here, he told me he can't sell me anything... Wayne or something, a nice guy.