Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

questions about 2010 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 12:31 PM
mkaye
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about 2010 450h?

i have a 96 LS400 & it is getting long in the tooth
i would like to replace it with a 2010 450h
looking at CPO (Ultra Premium version) - don't trust other sources as i have to wonder why the dealers passed on it

from scanning through the forum, these are the things i should be looking at & asking the dealer
1) maintenance history, carproof etc
2) tire condition (Michelins seem to be preferred)
3) nav system - what is the latest software/map version (i did see that the very early 2010's were different)?
4) warranty extension? most available are close to the 110K Lexus warranty, probably not much to work with there

being in Canada (Ottawa) i will need winter tires
i would like steel rims, looking at moving to 17" for the winter - hopefully rims & tires are cheaper - any issues?
usually get a narrower tire for winter too, but most compatible 17" seem to be same width or wider??
does the 2010 450h allow TPS for 2 sets of wheels?
would like a trailer hitch too - is the Lexus version worth the $$ to be hidden?

most of ones available at the moment are ~90K Km, i would insist that the 96K maintenance be done (has some fluid changes) if it wasn't done already

i intend to keep this 15 yrs, getting one in great condition & keeping it there is important

mark
Old 11-25-14, 04:52 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark, the general stats on the Gen III 450h (2010 and up) have been very good marking it as dependable transportation. It's the big brother of course to the Prius and many of them pressed into taxi service in NY are north of 300,000 miles on the original traction battery's. They are designed to last the life of the car.

It appears from your post you've got your priorities in line for car and features and prior use/mileage. Whether you use a regular hitch or hidden one is just going to be your preference VS what you're willing to spend for one. But consider it only if the vehicle is AWD. The factory recommended it that way only. Chances would be good any major upgrade on the NAV would be covered by being a CPO if you stand flat footed with the dealer on that topic. Lots of good reports on various tires but the one that is consistently favorable has been Michelin. Other than that use your judgement and available reports on the ones you find.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Originally Posted by mkaye
i have a 96 LS400 & it is getting long in the tooth
i would like to replace it with a 2010 450h
looking at CPO (Ultra Premium version) - don't trust other sources as i have to wonder why the dealers passed on it

from scanning through the forum, these are the things i should be looking at & asking the dealer
1) maintenance history, carproof etc
2) tire condition (Michelins seem to be preferred)
3) nav system - what is the latest software/map version (i did see that the very early 2010's were different)?
4) warranty extension? most available are close to the 110K Lexus warranty, probably not much to work with there

being in Canada (Ottawa) i will need winter tires
i would like steel rims, looking at moving to 17" for the winter - hopefully rims & tires are cheaper - any issues?
usually get a narrower tire for winter too, but most compatible 17" seem to be same width or wider??
does the 2010 450h allow TPS for 2 sets of wheels?
would like a trailer hitch too - is the Lexus version worth the $$ to be hidden?

most of ones available at the moment are ~90K Km, i would insist that the 96K maintenance be done (has some fluid changes) if it wasn't done already

i intend to keep this 15 yrs, getting one in great condition & keeping it there is important

mark
Old 11-25-14, 09:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it will be very difficult to find a CPO that is 5 years old...
Old 11-26-14, 12:58 PM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
not many, but there are a couple on autotrader.ca

NAV software - i talked to a dealer on Monday about the CPO he had & he said the software hadn't been updated since 2012 - i would doubt that the GUI has been updated, but i would expect map updates - anyone confirm what the truth is?

mark
Old 11-26-14, 02:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Mark, here's a good post in regards to snow tires and steel rims:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...now-tires.html

I am actually running wider 255mm winter tires on mine. They were cheaper than the narrower set and I like the extra width compensating for less traction on dry roads.

No bueno on the 2 sets of TPMS. I just ignore the TPMS light on mine, until I will finally find the wire to cut or pull the bulb out of the cluster.

Hitch part is easy - Kurt has you covered. That's pretty much the only choice. It won't look any different than OEM. It will be hidden pretty well as well.
Old 11-26-14, 03:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

You cannot update the GUI, you can however update the map (new roads, POIs) every year.
Old 12-01-14, 05:49 AM
mkaye
Rookie

i have an XM radio in the LS400
no problem switching subscription?

mark
Old 12-01-14, 05:55 AM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Mark, here's a good post in regards to snow tires and steel rims:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...now-tires.html

I am actually running wider 255mm winter tires on mine. They were cheaper than the narrower set and I like the extra width compensating for less traction on dry roads.

No bueno on the 2 sets of TPMS. I just ignore the TPMS light on mine, until I will finally find the wire to cut or pull the bulb out of the cluster.

Hitch part is easy - Kurt has you covered. That's pretty much the only choice. It won't look any different than OEM. It will be hidden pretty well as well.
great tire thread - thanks
really, the 2010 450h doesn't support 2 sets of TPMS

mark
Old 12-01-14, 01:54 PM
Pentiger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
I just bought a CPO 2010 RX 450h last month, so they are out there.
Old 12-02-14, 04:17 AM
mkaye
Rookie

1 of the things that is limiting my selection is the trim package
on the 2010 it is Touring or Ultra Premium, i have been looking for Ultra Premium
in the 2011/12 it is Touring, Ultra Premium 1/2

the 2011/12 UP2 gives me:
For the ultimate in luxury, the Ultra Premium Package 2 builds on the Ultra Premium Package 1, adding: a dual-screen rear seat DVD entertainment system with two sets of wireless headphones and an audio/DVD remote control; a 115-volt/400-watt power outlet; roof rail crossbars; a heads-up instrumentation display; the Lexus Pre-Collision System and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

don't need the DVD players (but once my granddaughter rides with us she may never want to ride with my daughter again!)
the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control sounds cool, but could only be used a not-very-busy highway
the Pre-Collision System would be nice to have along with the HUD

since i'm buying used i thought i might as well get the full package, but lowering my standards to allow the 2011/12 UP1 would give me a bit more selection

no major difference between the 2010 and the 2011/12 that i can see

anyone like to give me their thoughts on the options and how useful they are

mark

i did take out a 2015 RAV4 Limited just to see if it was close enough to a 4-5 yr old 450h since they are virtually the same price and i would have a brand new vehicle (have owned a Gen1 & Gen2), but not even close, i seem to be spoiled by owning a Lexus
Old 12-02-14, 04:35 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

i have an XM radio in the LS400
no problem switching subscription?

mark
You may not have a problem, I did. Document every conversation. Date, time, who you spoke with and notes of discussion. Keep your notes in the car. Ask for a supervisor, if you don't get the help you need.

It may not be an issue anymore. My problem was two years ago.
Old 12-03-14, 12:19 PM
mkaye
Rookie

Originally Posted by DunWkg
You may not have a problem, I did. Document every conversation. Date, time, who you spoke with and notes of discussion. Keep your notes in the car. Ask for a supervisor, if you don't get the help you need.

It may not be an issue anymore. My problem was two years ago.
thanks, i started with XM (not Sirius) so just wanted to make sure that wasn't going to be an issue

mark
Old 12-04-14, 05:54 AM
mkaye
Rookie

TPMS - summer/winter

my mechanic seems to think there is a hidden button under the dash to switch
anyone confirm/deny?

mark
Old 12-04-14, 06:21 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPMS - summer/winter

my mechanic seems to think there is a hidden button under the dash to switch
anyone confirm/deny?

mark
You will find this already posted at the 3RX FAQ.
Old 12-04-14, 08:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thread on TPMS with video.

Quick Reply: questions about 2010 450h?