Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Ham Radio Transceiver in 450h

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 05:01 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ham Radio Transceiver in 450h

Are there any Amateur Radio Operators running SSB or FM Transceivers in their 450h?

Does anyone know what Lexus' restrictions are related to:

-Current draw from battery
-Power out limitations
-Mode restrictions on USB/FM/CW (J3E, F3E, A1A, etc)
-Affects on onboard computers/systems
-Antenna location

I'd like to install a VHF/UHF 50W FM transceiver - drawing around 10A from the rear-mounted battery.

I'm interested in any installation experience by other owners - and, in particular, hearing what kind of RF "noise" the onboard systems generate, their frequencies, amplitudes, etc.

I'd also like to install a shortwave transceiver - on 10/20/40M -- and am concerned that the electrical noise from all the motors and electronic magic-makers will generate so much RF QRN that the application would be useless.

TKS

NateJG
Old 11-24-14, 07:36 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The correct answers can be found in your owners manual, I'd have to dig mine out of the car. Or online on the Lexus site. What I do know is the battery is much smaller than the non-hybrid as it doesn't have to start the gas (ICE) engine. Talking to an aftermarket installer who can get the specs is probably your best bet.
Originally Posted by NateJG
Are there any Amateur Radio Operators running SSB or FM Transceivers in their 450h?

-Power out limitations
-Antenna location

I'd like to install a VHF/UHF 50W FM transceiver - drawing around 10A from the rear-mounted battery.

I'm interested in any installation experience by other owners - and, in particular, hearing what kind of RF "noise" the onboard systems generate, their frequencies, amplitudes, etc.

I'd also like to install a shortwave transceiver - on 10/20/40M -- and am concerned that the electrical noise from all the motors and electronic magic-makers will generate so much RF QRN that the application would be useless.

TKS

NateJG
Old 11-25-14, 06:18 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
What I do know is the battery is much smaller than the non-hybrid as it doesn't have to start the gas (ICE) engine.
This is why I keep coming back to this site. I was wondering (disappointed) why when the 12V battery went dead so quickly when my window tint was being installed. He had the ignition on so he could move the windows up and down, and we were both surprised when the battery drained in less than an hour. I bet it's due to the smaller than usual battery.

I'm also interested to hear this answer. Although it would make sense to me that the hybrid systems might generate interference, I would be a little disappointed to find out they aren't shielded as well as they might be. Although the FM radio or cell and satellite reception (all FM?)don't seem to be impacted, my wife complains that she gets horrible reception on the AM bands. It never occurred to me that it might be due to the hybrid electronics.
Old 11-25-14, 04:50 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

-Power out limitations
-Antenna location

TKS

NateJG
I have not operated from my 450h but I understand your concerns. There are a lot of potential noise generators in this vehicle. You might want to visit one of the mobile forums at qrz.com and post your concerns there. You may not get a direct hit on a 450h but you may find some feedback on operating out of a hybrid. My gut feel is that VHF and UHF will be ok, but the low band equipment could very well be problematic. I would be interested to hear how you make out..

73, WA3CUJ
Old 11-26-14, 09:02 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Woody, there's actually a full size battery in the back of mine. I figured it was to keep the Nav happy, as the Prius I used to own, indeed has a small battery.
My RX would not discharge even after running in ACC mode for an hour. It is just a big pain to restart it every 20 minutes, as 2013+ have a new feature of turning everything off.

Personally, I would think the 12V bus should be well isolated from RF noise.
I can't provide any details as I am not an expert in this area.
Old 11-26-14, 01:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Must have started with your 2013 MY. My 2010 12v looks like what you'd find in a large Motor Cycle
Originally Posted by vlad_a
Woody, there's actually a full size battery in the back of mine. I figured it was to keep the Nav happy, as the Prius I used to own, indeed has a small battery.
My RX would not discharge even after running in ACC mode for an hour. It is just a big pain to restart it every 20 minutes, as 2013+ have a new feature of turning everything off.

Personally, I would think the 12V bus should be well isolated from RF noise.
I can't provide any details as I am not an expert in this area.
Old 03-05-15, 03:01 PM
krgrantham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ham Radio in RX450h

I have had amateur radio equipment in my RX350, RX450h (2010) and now in my RX450h (2013). All have worked fine without QRM and without irritating the car electronics.

Mostly, I have an ICOM IC-2820 VHF/UHF w/D-STAR. The radio body is in the rear under the deck in the space to the right of the spare tire (lots of space) - mounted on a rubber sheet with Velcro. The antenna (RG-58) cable goes up inside the trim panel to the roof rail (I had to specify roof rails). One bolt is removed and the RG-58 goes through that hole (hole is filled with silicon), runs forward along the rail to a Diamond power lifter and a Diamond NR770B antenna. Also through that hole is the control wire for the power lifter.

The control head 6C cable is run forward, across the car, and under the rocker panels to the driver side dash, up through the dash, and a tiny hole into the retractable cup holder. This is USA left-hand drive model - your experience could be mirror image!. I have a GPS drink holder mount in that cup holder with the mounting plate on it, and the control head has the two magnets installed on the back.

I did take the 4C end of the control cable and run it into a 4C extender and a short 4C line cord - that's what goes through the cupholder. The extender is hidden behind the dash. I did this because I would be plugging and unplugging the modular end into the control head and eventually the modular plug is expected to break - I can easily crimp on another.

I pop the control head onto the mounting plate, plug in the cable, push the "up" button to raise the antenna, and I'm off. The microphone is in the center console - I just used a standard data patch cable and extender for that.

Normally I stuff the mic into the console, unplug and drop the control head into the door side pocket and hang the wire over the mount. Looks like the radio has already been removed/stolen. I can go full stealth buy pulling the GPS mount and dropping it into the door pocket as well.

In addition to the 2820 I'm also running a Kenwood TK-981 900MHz radio (40W) routed through-glass to a magnetic mount, an Alinco 220MHz (sometimes) and I've also run an ICOM IC-7000 HF. In my old RX I was able to override the parking brake switch and run the video out of the IC-7000 to the navigation screen, put the control head on a cup holder mount on the center console, and even mount an electronic key on the console. That way I can see the operating display in glorious color on the nav screen.

Alas, the 2013 model discontinued the separate video input so I haven't been able to do that.

In all cases the car has operated without incident, even at 100W on 60m, 40m, 20m and 10m (I'm not on 6m in the car, and the antenna was really poor on 80 so I gave up with that).

The only other modifications to the car are ham plates, and the odd Skywarn or EMCOM magnetic sign, when needed.

The A123 battery is a delight. I've operated on battery for four hours at 22A with no problems, and without cranking the car. Having it in the rear right next to the radios is great too - really short power leads.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-15, 03:36 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Krgrantham -- First, welcome to the forum. Second, let me say that while I'm not a Ham Radio Guy myself so much of the question and your reply is beyond me, your post amazed me... Thoughtful, articulate, detailed, and boy, it's your first post to-boot. I can only look forward to your future contributions and participation here with us, and hope others are able to help you the same way in turn. Thanks.
Old 03-07-15, 06:18 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Now THAT'S the way to reply to a question! Thank You!

Hi, K:

Your reply is, indeed, informative, on topic, clearly written, and most appreciated.

Check you League email for my personal reply/appreciation.

NateJG