Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Slight Upgrade from 1st gen....one question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 07:09 AM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Well if you want to justify it more....I had a Lexus battery in my car that was less than a year old and it would always run down and die. I had to jump my car at least once a month. The tiny battery can handle a prius but there are too many electronics in the RX that stay on a while after the car is off for the tiny battery to handle. I also have added quite a few extra things that put a little more strain on the baby battery. I had that battery tested a couple times because I figured a new battery shouldn't be doing that. Each time it was tested it passed. It even died once when I went to pick up my car from Lexus after an oil change. I paid my bill and got in the car and it was dead right there in the service driveway in front of all the service advisors and they still said there was nothing wrong with the battery. To wrap up my story....I bought the yellow top 4 or 5 months ago and not once have I had a dead battery.
I have read that the RX is rather power hungry on its 12v accessories. your experience makes me more than happy I went ahead and purchased the Optima.

I wonder if it would be worth the effort to modify the battery tray to accept a 34 series battery......?
Old 11-21-14, 07:57 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I had thought about doing that if the yellow top didn't do the trick but it has been just fine....And I have an extra amp for a sub, I have my lights wired to turn on when I unlock the car, I have my stereo wired to turn on when I unlock the car, and I have the stereo wired to stay on for 5 minutes after I turn off the car (or until I lock it). All that and still no issue with the smaller yellow top.