Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Anyone disappointed in their 450h performance?

Old 11-06-14, 12:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Had a gas ES loaner for a week and I have to say I do not miss the shifting at all. How weird that 4 years ago, having a CVT felt weird because of the lack of shifting, and now its the other way around. You don't realize on unrefined shifting is until you never have to deal with it ever again.
Definitely agree. I didn't think I'd go hybrid five years ago between price and performance. But just like what happened back in 1998, all it took was one drive and I was hooked. Funny, I had to learn how to drive manual or else forget about getting my license. Sure, it can be fun exaggerating shifts but also tiring in everyday traffic. I wouldn't want to go back there, unless of course it was something sporty for the weekend
Old 11-07-14, 07:31 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Definitely agree. I didn't think I'd go hybrid five years ago between price and performance. But just like what happened back in 1998, all it took was one drive and I was hooked. Funny, I had to learn how to drive manual or else forget about getting my license. Sure, it can be fun exaggerating shifts but also tiring in everyday traffic. I wouldn't want to go back there, unless of course it was something sporty for the weekend
I won't miss our Acura's jerky shifting, that's for sure!
One thing that is kind of weird for us buying a hybrid, is doubtful this Lexus will see 5k per year on the odometer. We are both retired and have 3 other vehicles including the motor home for long trips. But I HAD to have the sport bumper, and the hybrid was the only way to get it with AWD. The F Sport was out because my wife cannot stand black interior.
Old 11-08-14, 09:18 AM
Pentiger
Driver School Candidate

I've only had mine for two days, but I am not disappointed in the performance at all.
Old 02-06-15, 03:00 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cold traction batteries don't produce a lot of energy and you just started the engine with it and the cabin heater was probably on. It is a different car when you are on a trip and the traction battery have warmed up or in the Summer time when the traction battery is always warm. I drove through the steepest mountain roads in Pennsylvania last summer and my biggest problem was keeping my speed down close to the speed limit. Once you are at 60 the car wants to do 90+.

Even the Tesla S is sluggish on a cold Chicago winter day unless you had the battery warmer plugged in overnight.
Old 02-07-15, 07:18 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Thought I would post up in this thread since I don't think I have since we got our 450h. It seems a little sluggish in eco mode taking off from a stop, but in sport mode it pulls with authority. Like the post above stated, it is EASY to go too fast in this thing! Honestly, I rarely drive it since it's my wife's car, in fact we have had it about 3 months now, and have only put a bit over 1k miles on it. Any long trips and we take my Jeep or truck because we don't want our small dogs in the Lexus, my wife is afraid their nails will hurt the leather. Kinda sucks because the 450h is such a nice car to drive.
Old 02-07-15, 02:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, the RX450h is even more than a 'nice' car to drive. It's a totally new experience from all others in it's category once you've had enough time to experience it. And like another post talking about how comfortable it was at 80mph, it's very easy to speed creep in this car. And still be in as much control as possible for the speed . Words like precision, confidence and absolute come to mind.
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
Thought I would post up in this thread since I don't think I have since we got our 450h. It seems a little sluggish in eco mode taking off from a stop, but in sport mode it pulls with authority. Like the post above stated, it is EASY to go too fast in this thing! Honestly, I rarely drive it since it's my wife's car, in fact we have had it about 3 months now, and have only put a bit over 1k miles on it. Any long trips and we take my Jeep or truck because we don't want our small dogs in the Lexus, my wife is afraid their nails will hurt the leather. Kinda sucks because the 450h is such a nice car to drive.