Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Anyone disappointed in their 450h performance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 06:21 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
The AWD will not help with torque steer in the RX. Even though from a standstill the rear motor is active, the front engine and electric motor is till sending 100% of power to the front. Power is not being "split" in the traditional sense as is the case with other awd systems
True in practice only because of a limitation in the application of the design, not a limitation of the design concept itself. In theory more power could be split off the electrical power being generated by MG1 and sent to MGR (rear drive motor) instead of MG2 (front drive motor). In application though, MG2 is almost 3X more powerful than MGR, so 3X more electrical power can go to the front. Probably for good reason, as putting a much more powerful motor in the rear would surely raise costs quite a bit, not just for the motor, but all the electrical components in between to supply the additional power. I think if ToyLex wanted to create a balanced hybrid AWD system without a significant price increase, they would seriously consider abandoning rear motors and use a drive shaft setup more similar to the RX350.

All that said, if they could manage to bump up the rear motor power through gradual efficiency improvements without too much cost increase, I think it would improve the RXh experience in many situations.
Old 11-01-14, 04:44 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine reminds me of a combination of boat and 1960's Chevrolet Powerglide when starting off. Neither snapped my neck from the start; however, a blink or two later I notice that I'm going pretty fast. I think the strangest thing to become accostomed to is the lack of a locked torque converter.

If other owners are like me, they've discovered that it is easy to stay ahead of virtually anything from a stoplight without even trying; and staying out of trouble on the freeway is a breeze.

I dropped my 450h off at the Lansing dealership on my way to the DetRiot Auto Show last winter; and had a chance to test the RX350 loaner. I was pleasantly surprised that I prefered the shift and response of my 450 to that of the 350!

Coming from (retiring, actually) a transmission manufacturer, I fought my wife's push to buy a Prius because of bias/prejudice AGAINST CVT transmissions (due to torque/life limitations); and it wasn't until I did extensive research into the technically-in accurately-named CVT of the Prius that I realized that it (Prius') transmission was really a one-speed gearbox with an electric generator "clutch" and motor-augmented driveshaft.

I then bought the "Prius On Steriods" RX450h.

As an aside, I just reached the one-year anniversary of "Alexis", wherein she now has 22,000 miles. Her overall MPG is 27.1; and she performed excellently during last winter's snows and extreme cold. Snow-Mode traction is stellar.

I particularly like how she performs quietly and smoothly immediately after cold starts - notably more quietly-relaxed than any of my previous cars (which always seemed to delay shifts as the engine/catalytic converter heats up).

We just returned from a 28.0 MPG 10-day trip to Cape Cod.

Like they say about McDonalds: I'm Lovin' It!
Old 11-01-14, 05:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice expression of the way you see it and your background leading to your conclusions.
Originally Posted by NateJG
Mine reminds me of a combination of boat and 1960's Chevrolet Powerglide when starting off. Neither snapped my neck from the start; however, a blink or two later I notice that I'm going pretty fast. I think the strangest thing to become accostomed to is the lack of a locked torque converter.

If other owners are like me, they've discovered that it is easy to stay ahead of virtually anything from a stoplight without even trying; and staying out of trouble on the freeway is a breeze.

I dropped my 450h off at the Lansing dealership on my way to the DetRiot Auto Show last winter; and had a chance to test the RX350 loaner. I was pleasantly surprised that I prefered the shift and response of my 450 to that of the 350!

Coming from (retiring, actually) a transmission manufacturer, I fought my wife's push to buy a Prius because of bias/prejudice AGAINST CVT transmissions (due to torque/life limitations); and it wasn't until I did extensive research into the technically-in accurately-named CVT of the Prius that I realized that it (Prius') transmission was really a one-speed gearbox with an electric generator "clutch" and motor-augmented driveshaft.

I then bought the "Prius On Steriods" RX450h.

As an aside, I just reached the one-year anniversary of "Alexis", wherein she now has 22,000 miles. Her overall MPG is 27.1; and she performed excellently during last winter's snows and extreme cold. Snow-Mode traction is stellar.

I particularly like how she performs quietly and smoothly immediately after cold starts - notably more quietly-relaxed than any of my previous cars (which always seemed to delay shifts as the engine/catalytic converter heats up).

We just returned from a 28.0 MPG 10-day trip to Cape Cod.

Like they say about McDonalds: I'm Lovin' It!
Old 11-03-14, 01:11 PM
bring
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good discussion - prior to getting my 450h in Feb, I drove a VW Touareg for 10 years or so. There was no torque-steer whatsoever. This is my frame of reference. I would think that Lexus/Toyota could manage the front wheels pulling so much by sending more power to the rear motor, that's all. No big deal, it's just something that if you've driven German SUVs before, you acutely notice when it happens because you aren't used to it.
Old 11-04-14, 10:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bring
Good discussion - prior to getting my 450h in Feb, I drove a VW Touareg for 10 years or so. There was no torque-steer whatsoever. This is my frame of reference. I would think that Lexus/Toyota could manage the front wheels pulling so much by sending more power to the rear motor, that's all. No big deal, it's just something that if you've driven German SUVs before, you acutely notice when it happens because you aren't used to it.
That's because Toyota used Wrong-Wheel-Drive platform for the RX, while Germans use more proper RWD. However, new MB GLA250 is also FWD-based, same as its sedan sibling CLA.
Old 11-04-14, 10:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cant say Ive ever been disappointed by the performance in the RX.

Put it in Sport mode and it could happily take on a Golf GTI . Its pretty quick for such a heavy car and most people are pleasantly surprised as the car is so silent and calm at low speeds.
Old 11-05-14, 06:45 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

One thing that kind of baffles me, is why the 450h require premium fuel, yet the 350 does not. From what I have read, the 450h gas engine has less horsepower than its gas only brother, 245 vs. 270.

We are expecting a call from our dealer any day now saying our car is in. They said to expect is between 11/3 -11/6.

Last edited by SeventyGTX; 11-05-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 07:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
One thing that kind of baffles me, is why the 450h require premium fuel, yet the 350 does not. From what I have read, the 450h gas engine has less horsepower than its gas only brother, 245 vs. 270.

We are expecting a call from our dealer any day now saying our car is in. They said to expect is between 11/3 -11/6.
Don't look at the 450h's engine alone - it is simply not tuned/optimized to run by itself.
Instead, think of the hybrid synergy drive as a whole unit, because it really is fully-integrated.
The number comes up to 300HP then.

However, both engines are running pretty high compression. It is surprising RX350 got the regular ECU tune a couple years ago. If anything, RX450h should have been be the first one, as it is running on Atkinson cycle and its actual compression would be lower than physical, although it does vary, depending on the load.

Also, I bet RX350's HP rating on regular gas would be lower.
Old 11-05-14, 08:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great points, vlad. The seamless integration is something I'll never get tired of. You'll see when you get yours, SeventyGTX BTW, the '10-'11 350s require premium. The change to regular resulted in a power drop of 5 HPs IIRC. Maybe I'll have a loaner when I bring in the 450h for service later this month and can do a comparison.
Old 11-05-14, 09:31 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Great points, vlad. The seamless integration is something I'll never get tired of. You'll see when you get yours, SeventyGTX BTW, the '10-'11 350s require premium. The change to regular resulted in a power drop of 5 HPs IIRC. Maybe I'll have a loaner when I bring in the 450h for service later this month and can do a comparison.
I'm sure we will be extremely happy with it. Our ATV's have CVT transmissions and have the same seamless acceleration. It is a great feature for sure.

On another note, our salesperson just called and it will be another 3-9 days before we get it.
It is in Richmond, California waiting to be distributed to the dealer. The anxiety is killing us as it has been over a month since it was ordered when they said 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by SeventyGTX; 11-05-14 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 10:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

At least you're familiar with the seamless acceleration. It took me maybe a week to get used to it. Now I don't notice it at all. I enjoy the occasional punch of power from time to time. Never misses.

Sorry but you get no pity from me. A little over a month is nothing
Old 11-05-14, 10:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

No pity from me either!
I'm into a 3rd month of waiting for my '15 STi.
Old 11-05-14, 11:48 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The new Honda CRV with direct injection now has the CVT tranny also. The top-line Touring model is really getting upscale. I think it might be similarly sized to our new mini SUV.
Originally Posted by kitlz
At least you're familiar with the seamless acceleration. It took me maybe a week to get used to it. Now I don't notice it at all. I enjoy the occasional punch of power from time to time. Never misses.

Sorry but you get no pity from me. A little over a month is nothing
Old 11-05-14, 12:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

No thanks Jim. I'll stick with Lexus' proven technology and luxury.
Old 11-05-14, 05:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Had a gas ES loaner for a week and I have to say I do not miss the shifting at all. How weird that 4 years ago, having a CVT felt weird because of the lack of shifting, and now its the other way around. You don't realize on unrefined shifting is until you never have to deal with it ever again.

Using regular gas would probably be okay in the RXh, but Lexus doesn't want you to see the lower MPG numbers

Quick Reply: Anyone disappointed in their 450h performance?