Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2010 RX 450H Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 03:23 PM
deshp91862
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX 450H Repairs

Just sharing my repair experience to help anyone else who has to deal with this, hopefully not.

2010 RX 450H miles 65K

3-4 weeks ago Car was stuttering on cold start , but no check engine light. was coming on

Took it to the dealer twice and they saw no issue

Eventually Engine Light came on P0300

Lexus Dealer Recommended cleaning all six fuel injectors I got a second opinion at a Toyota too as was told out its out of warranty and got it replaced there as was told by Lexus that its fine to get it done at Toyota as I had my car there already

Engine light was still on after that. ( Giving misfires P0302 codes etc)

Replaced Coil and Spark Plugs at the Toyota

Check Engine Light still on and was told to take it back to the Lexus dealer as drive-train is in warranty and the diagnosis from Toyota tech was Rocker Arm issue.

Eventually it turned out to be Rocker Arm in Cylinder 2 was out of position not sure how why

Replaced that and Check Engine light is gone

Only Rocker Arm was in warranty.

Had to pay for fuel injectors. Should be getting service credit for fuel injector replacement.
Old 10-04-14, 07:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the forum, sorry tho it was when you felt forced to air your disappointment. It's easy to understand how you feel being that the Lexus store couldn't figure it out. Sometimes it's necessary to seek out a different dealer if it could be a warranty issue. Some are just better than others.

But glad it finally got figured out and hopefully you'll get some help on the cost of replacing the injectors that were fine to start with. Let us know the rest of the story as it develops.
Old 10-06-14, 09:11 AM
deshp91862
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I discovered this forum whilst searching for help on the check engine light and it helped me give the dealer insight into the P300 error code about possible fuel injector issues.

It may have been wise to change them as I was told that they were bad , despite the experimental cleaning procedure the dealer had performed.

The final result for me is that I have to bear the cost of the fuel injection replacement repais minus any labor cost.
Old 10-06-14, 09:14 AM
Cruiter

One reason I use a top tier gas (COSTCO) is for the high concentration of additives that work to keep the injectors clean. The recommended premium grade helps as well.
Originally Posted by deshp91862
Thanks. I discovered this forum whilst searching for help on the check engine light and it helped me give the dealer insight into the P300 error code about possible fuel injector issues.

It may have been wise to change them as I was told that they were bad , despite the experimental cleaning procedure the dealer had performed.

The final result for me is that I have to bear the cost of the fuel injection replacement repais minus any labor cost.
Old 10-06-14, 12:32 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Cruiter, how do you know that Costco has better fuel? Is there a website that has information on this including other brands? Wouldn't work for us though as the nearest Costco is 70 miles from here.
Old 10-06-14, 12:49 PM
deshp91862
Driver School Candidate

I do use premium as recommended. There is an experimental fuel injector cleaning kit that was used btw
Old 10-06-14, 07:24 PM
Cruiter

I know the percentage of their additives is higher than their competition. And I know they are listed as a top tier. That they have better fuel are your words, not mine. But for what it's worth (what I believe and my money) I know they're very good and less expensive. They're gas has been the main one for me for well over 10 years with very satisfactory results. Both of my cars require Premium and I've never had nor heard of a legitimate proven problem with their gas. 'Nuff said.
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
Cruiter, how do you know that Costco has better fuel? Is there a website that has information on this including other brands? Wouldn't work for us though as the nearest Costco is 70 miles from here.
Old 10-07-14, 05:19 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

This is good to know! My mom's 07 RX had an issues a year ago, and needed to replace 2 injectors. At the time, it had only about 25K miles, so I was surprised that 2 of them would go bad. I assumed it was due to poor quality gasoline that she routinely buys at Costco, but now I'm questioning that assumption. Besides bad gasoline, what else would make 2 injectors go bad at the same time?
Old 10-07-14, 05:27 AM
Cruiter

Water!!! It's almost always the culprit Woody. Doesn't mater whether it's COSTCO or somewhere I'm traveling through, I always keep my gas receipts at least until I'm through that tank. It will foul an injector at 1st blush and the recommended fix is replacement. Also it could just be build up in the fuel filter that eventually gets through. Make sure all maintenance is done and if replacement of the filter is recommended, don't scrimp, do it.

RE: water in the gas, if you can determine it came from a fill-up at station X and you have your receipt you can usually get the company to cover all repairs. And it will usually happen within a block or two of where you got the gas (engine stops or runs very rough and hesitant etc.). Otherwise it was probably a dirty filter.
Originally Posted by Woodrow
This is good to know! My mom's 07 RX had an issues a year ago, and needed to replace 2 injectors. At the time, it had only about 25K miles, so I was surprised that 2 of them would go bad. I assumed it was due to poor quality gasoline that she routinely buys at Costco, but now I'm questioning that assumption. Besides bad gasoline, what else would make 2 injectors go bad at the same time?
Old 10-16-14, 08:56 AM
MIRX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. I have a 2010, that I just picked. Hopefully won't have the same problem, but at at least I will have an idea of what to consider if the problem occurs.
Old 10-27-14, 11:27 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy c.. my light came on a few days ago and disappear. I pull the code this am and it was P0302.

I been complaining about clicking sounds for 2 visits now.

My car had the clicking sound earlier in the year, made a thread about it. I just hit 80K, I have platinum warranty till 125k
Old 03-18-15, 02:56 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Tier Gas

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
This is the website I use to determine if a fuel is "Top Tier". http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
And www.gasbuddy.com lists it next to the corresponding station when you search for gas.

I have seen this list change over the years. BP was added sometime ago, which I was told was the supplier of Costco. I never would bring my car to any non top tier stations. Also, the last tank before an oil change I put in a bottle of chevron techron fuel system cleaner.

I have never had my car be recommend for a fuel induction cleaning when I bring it to the dealer. Also, tell me how clean everything looks.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-23-15, 01:52 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a Svc Mgr recommend a fuel system flush on Wifie's Windstar (I bit, D'Oh!); however I now place such a recommendation right under that of having the Rumpets adjusted, or the Muffler Bearing lubed.
Old 04-23-15, 04:19 PM
Pentiger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NateJG
I had a Svc Mgr recommend a fuel system flush on Wifie's Windstar (I bit, D'Oh!); however I now place such a recommendation right under that of having the Rumpets adjusted, or the Muffler Bearing lubed.
I thought the muffler bearings were permanently lubricated.