Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

NX300h performance expectations

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 07:31 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
looks like the awd might be a few ticks faster than the fwd if you go by what's in the brochure...same as the turbo versions of the car.

according to the brochure, they list the hybrid in either fwd or awd have the same zero to sixty (9.1) but the video shows that the awd is up to half a sec faster.

the awd turbo car is two tenths faster than the fwd car (7.0 vs 7.2)
That second electric motor in the rear axle makes a LOT of difference in acceleration. My wife's 4x4 Highlander Hybrid is the EXACT SAME drive train as the RX450h and it has an AMAZINGLY quick zero-to-60 of 6.9 but I have clocked it at 6.5 numerous times. What's interesting is that our '12 BMW X5d has the EXACT SAME zero to sixty time of 6.9 but the Hybrid almost ALWAYS outruns it 0->60 even with the wife driving the HiHy.
I keep saying it's because I weigh nearly 100 pounds more then she does and THAT is the only difference...LOL
Old 11-03-14, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

C&D got 7.6 seconds 0-60 in a Highlander Hybrid, also below Toyota's estimate. Not bad for a 4900 lb. vehicle.
Old 11-03-14, 08:12 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C&D got 7.6 seconds 0-60 in a Highlander Hybrid, also below Toyota's estimate. Not bad for a 4900 lb. vehicle.
Our HiHy is a 2006 model so it was lighter than the newer models. Toyota's numbers were between 6.6 and 6.9 depending on who you believe. I think the 7.6 figure was for the larger, slower 2007 and new models but regardless, I agree. They are VERY fast Hybrids especially considering that they are SUVs. That rear 65HP eletric torque-monster motor makes all the difference

Last edited by bunka; 11-30-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 02:04 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have test drove a NX300h F-sport and it felt pretty sluggish, even in sport+. It's not a car you want to drive fast with. And the engine noise and wind noise is quite high as well.
Old 11-04-14, 07:58 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I have test drove a NX300h F-sport and it felt pretty sluggish, even in sport+. It's not a car you want to drive fast with. And the engine noise and wind noise is quite high as well.
was the car awd?
Old 11-04-14, 08:03 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

What's interesting is that you are about the ONLY person who has these views. Most others think it performs well in comparison to it's peers (other SUV and CUVs). Are your judgements measuring the NX to non-SUV/CUVs? If not, which other SUV/CUVs do you think actually handle better at speed than the NX?

I personally think that my X5d sport handles VERY well and will be comparing the NX's handling to that when I review.

How did you drive it since it hasn't been released and your signature shows 'SE' (which I assume means SouthEast)? Are you a Lexus Sales person?
Old 11-04-14, 08:34 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tresmith00
was the car awd?
AWD.

Also, too bad it doesn't have ML, the standard stereo is so so.
Old 11-05-14, 07:05 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bunka
What's interesting is that you are about the ONLY person who has these views. Most others think it performs well in comparison to it's peers (other SUV and CUVs). Are your judgements measuring the NX to non-SUV/CUVs? If not, which other SUV/CUVs do you think actually handle better at speed than the NX?

I personally think that my X5d sport handles VERY well and will be comparing the NX's handling to that when I review.

How did you drive it since it hasn't been released and your signature shows 'SE' (which I assume means SouthEast)? Are you a Lexus Sales person?
I'm from Sweden. And I'm not a sales person for Lexus. The NX has already been delivered to the costumers the past month. There are full of NX300h in different specs on the dealers lot.

What I mean with not fun to drive is mainly cause by the hybrid drivetrain.

There is a noticeable delay from when you press the pedal to the metal till it actually accelerate. In some situations it feels like forever. And when the acceleration comes in, it wasn't any special. It just feels sluggish, even in sport+ Mode. It feels just like a CT200h to me.

Also the engine noise is quite loud under the acceleration. It feels louder than a IS300h. Wind noise is quite high too at the highway speed. The ride of the F-sport is a bit firm, but it's ok for me. It turn alright, although there is no feedback from steering wheel.

Another thing I don't like is the plastic isolation material in the wheel weel. It's loud in the cabin when the small stones hit it. It really annoys me.

The interior is definitely the strong point of the car. It's really nice. The seats are really comfortable. I'm 190cm tall and it suits me just fine, although I don't like the pleather material they are using for the seats.

That's just my thoughs of the car. You have to test drive it yourself to see if you like it or not.
Old 11-05-14, 07:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll have to drive one when it's available but so far the NX300h looks less and less attractive. I drove a Prius for a while and that was quite slow but understandable since it got outstanding mpg. I don't drive fast but my issue is how the car will respond when it's loaded with passengers. 250hp would have been nice, but 200hp just irks me. The RX450hp sacrifices some more fuel but in return you get a larger vehicle with about 100hp more. That's quite substantial.

Another reason why I'm reluctant on the NX300h is that it seems the next generation hybrid is right around the corner. I rather not buy into an 'old' hybrid system if the new one is more power/efficient.
Old 11-05-14, 12:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

I'm from Sweden. And I'm not a sales person for Lexus. The NX has already been delivered to the costumers the past month. There are full of NX300h in different specs on the dealers lot.

What I mean with not fun to drive is mainly cause by the hybrid drivetrain.

There is a noticeable delay from when you press the pedal to the metal till it actually accelerate. In some situations it feels like forever. And when the acceleration comes in, it wasn't any special. It just feels sluggish, even in sport+ Mode. It feels just like a CT200h to me.

Also the engine noise is quite loud under the acceleration. It feels louder than a IS300h. Wind noise is quite high too at the highway speed. The ride of the F-sport is a bit firm, but it's ok for me. It turn alright, although there is no feedback from steering wheel.

Another thing I don't like is the plastic isolation material in the wheel weel. It's loud in the cabin when the small stones hit it. It really annoys me.

The interior is definitely the strong point of the car. It's really nice. The seats are really comfortable. I'm 190cm tall and it suits me just fine, although I don't like the pleather material they are using for the seats.

That's just my thoughs of the car. You have to test drive it yourself to see if you like it or not.
Ah! Thank you for the clarifcation and this does help us to better understand. I can fully understand that the Hybrid would logically be heavier due to the batteries and that those batteries may well be located above the optimal center of gravity on this vehicle which would compromise cornering performance. We have that issue already with our '06 Highlander Hybrid so it looks like that would not change any with the NX. These SUV Hybrids aren't really designed to corner anyway so no great loss. If someone requires the higher performance handling, they would likely not go the Hybrid direction.

Your comments on the acceleration have me a bit concerned as a delayed or passive acceleratoin was one of the things that drove us away from the Ford Escape and Fusion vehicles. Sluggish would be to positive a term for those Ford Hybrids. We actually liked the Lexus ES300h's acceleration and if the NX is comparable, we would consider it to be viable.

The other concern is potential cabin noise. Most of the reviews so far have rated the engine noise as one of the quietest available and while it does not have the insulated glass like the RX, it's still supposed to be quite good which sounds contrary to your experiences.

As to a test drive... now there is the major rub. You see, we have none on our shores yet. None are promised anytime soon (not even a demo) so it looks like even though the rest of the world already has them, those of us here in the USA may not have any ability to drive even a DEMO until January of 2015.

* Note to self: The NX is already in many, many places already even though it is not yet here.

Last edited by bunka; 11-30-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 02:36 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

@Bunka

Too bad that it arrives to US so late. What's is the reason for that?

I think the handling of the NX is ok. it's a heavy mid size SUV. Like the RX, it lacks of any road feel through the steering wheel. Don't think it can compete with the more sport oriented SUV's on the market.

The cabin is well isolated from the tire/road and traffic noises, but somehow it doesn't filter/mute the engine noise, wind noise and the noise from the wheel weel so good. As I clearly hear these 3 kind of annoying noises. Which does bothers me a bit under the test drive. I was expecting a quiet ride on the highway.

If I'm interested in NX, I won't go for the Fsport version. I think the ride will be better in a non Fsport NX. Also you get more stuffs like ML stereo which you can't get with Fsport. I think the non Fsport looks better too. There is an "offroad" styling package you can add to the regular NX which I think it looks pretty good. Dealer has one that has it in the showroom. The one I drove is a Fsport in white, and I don't really like the look of it (I don't like it in black either). It does look a little bit better in sonic titanium or Mercury grey though.

I went test drive it mainly caused by some over priseing/hype of the NX I read in some threads here. While it's not a bad car (love the interior) I won't choose it if I want a SUV.

Anyway, I still think you have to test drive it to make your own judgment on the car, as my thoughs are highly personal.

Last edited by UpSideDown; 11-05-14 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

do they really have nuluxe in Europe? Other models dont have it... it is either cloth or real leather.
Old 11-06-14, 04:01 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
do they really have nuluxe in Europe? Other models dont have it... it is either cloth or real leather.
Yes, but they named it "Tahara". its standard in the NX with comfort/business package. The base model has cloth in the middle and tahara on the sides. The IS 300h has this cloth/tahara combination as well. To buy real leather is very expensive because you canīt buy it as a separate option. Its only available with luxury/ executive or F sport packages which makes the price jump by at least 4-5000 dollars depending on model.

Last edited by Mr Bond; 11-06-14 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 10:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Yes, but they named it "Tahara". its standard in the NX with comfort/business package. The base model has cloth in the middle and tahara on the sides. The IS 300h has this cloth/tahara combination as well. To buy real leather is very expensive because you canīt buy it as a separate option. Its only available with luxury/ executive or F sport packages which makes the price jump by at least 4-5000 dollars depending on model.
oh, thats excellent news... since I am pretty big, i destroy leather seats...
Old 11-30-14, 08:46 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Have you heard of any actual fuel economy figures that your local owners have been able to achieve there in Sweden? I would be interested if owners have been able to obtain the figures projected for the hybrid NX300h's.

Last edited by bunka; 11-30-14 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: NX300h performance expectations