Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation > Hybrid Technology
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Loss of battery power during vacation

Old 08-05-14, 02:36 PM   #1
doreencp
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Loss of battery power during vacation

I just purchased a 2015 RX 450 H, and I am leaving on vacation to Europe for a month. How do I ensure that the battery will be good when I return?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
doreencp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 05:27 PM   #2
Cruiter

There are various computers that keep track of stuff with a very low drain. Some folks have reported no problems if their battery was young and in good shape, others needed a jump. If you have a friend that could take it for a 15 or 20 minute drive every couple of weeks that wouldn't hurt. Normally a battery tender would do the job nicely but it doesn't get to the traction batteries. They need their exercise too ya know . Worse that could happen is you'd need a jump, if so carefully read the directions for jumping a hybrid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreencp View Post
I just purchased a 2015 RX 450 H, and I am leaving on vacation to Europe for a month. How do I ensure that the battery will be good when I return?

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 05:48 PM   #3
RXSF

1 month is nothing, you should be fine. If you are really concerned, you would need to get a trickle charger
Old 08-15-14, 08:53 AM   #4
IS350atWOT
Lead Lap

I thought our hybrids had a second battery like those of regular cars. At least I thought that's what I was hooking to when I had to use the RX to jump my F. So if the hybrid battery is completely dead, the car won't start?
Old 08-15-14, 12:46 PM   #5
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350atWOT View Post
I thought our hybrids had a second battery like those of regular cars. At least I thought that's what I was hooking to when I had to use the RX to jump my F. So if the hybrid battery is completely dead, the car won't start?
Traction battery cannot go completely dead. It has to maintain a specific charge rate, somewhere between 60% and 80%. If it does drop very low, a special device is needed to charge it up. I hear some dealers may have these, but never have to put them to use, so a month without starting will not be a big deal. I doubt dealers regularly start up their hybrids when they are sitting on the lot for months.

Now, the 12V battery that runs ECUs and most of electronics is the same as a regular car battery. If it is low or bad, the hybrid will need to be jump-started similar to a regular car. The difference is, there is no starter nor alternator.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 12:54 PM   #6
Cruiter

Two things here, one if your Hybrid battery (traction batteries under the rear seat) are dead then your car will not start w/o a jump. Two, it reads in the manual you are NOT to jump another car with your hybrid. They are really great cars but there is a lot to learn re: their operation. That's one reason there is more than one manual and why they're so thick . The 12v battery in the cargo compartment cubby is the power source for all the electrical components and computers. In my manual it details a rather exclusive way to jump start your car after opening up your fuse box but also states it can not be used to jump start another car.

It's completely different than a conventional system where you hear the starter turning over the engine. In your (h) the engine just sort of 'starts' through a direct connection inside the combined traction motors and CVT.
The diagram below is of a Prius but the technology works the same.

If either battery is dead, your car won't start. The traction batteries are designed to maintain enough charge to always start the car. They are designed to last the life of the vehicle. The 12v battery does not turn a starter motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350atWOT View Post
Attached Images

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 12:54 PM