Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Which headlight do you have ?
Non LED
55.88%
LED
38.24%
LED Strip with LED
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

RX450H headlights, which one do you have ?

Old 07-22-14, 11:44 AM
hhss
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX450H headlights, which one do you have ?

Just curious as to what headlight everyone has on their rx450h. I wish to replace my retired rx400h but my selection hasn't been great.

I've been waiting for a pre-owned white/black rx450h with the ultra premium 1/2 package here in canada which includes the led headlamps and mark levinson system but no dice so far.

Is the extra tech (more specifically the led headlamps) worth the wait or should i just take the plunge for a 450h without the extras.

Your opinions and comments are appreciated !

Name:  SLPL5Jw.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  20.3 KB

Last edited by hhss; 07-22-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 08:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hrmd, I have the LED headlights like the second picture. If light output is important, skip them. But LEDs do look awesome. They're also pretty rare here. I've seen maybe 2 RXhs with LED headlights, both old and new style, in 4 1/2 years. I special ordered mine to get them along with ML. Good luck findiing one.
Old 07-23-14, 11:30 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to reiterate what Anita said. I ordered mine to get the LED headlamps as well as the Mark Levinson. I have not had HID's before so I can't compare, but I like the LED's. As she said, they are very rare here (really only found on Luxury package RX's). From researching HID vs LED in the past, LED was all about looks, but HID was about better lighting. That being said, I have absolutely no issues driving at night with the LED's.
As for the ML stereo, eh...I could have lived without it.
In my opinion, if you can find a great deal, I wouldn't pass it up. Just make sure it has at least HID lights and not halogen. Not sure what year you're looking for but I think the best feature on the newer ones is the Blind Spot Monitoring - not sure what year that was introduced.
Old 07-23-14, 02:03 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had to special order to get the LED headlights and other options that were unavailable otherwise.
Old 07-23-14, 02:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Your voting poll didn't allow for other options so I'll just say I have the HID's that swivel. I absolutely love them and the reason I haven't traded up yet is I'm still waiting for Lexus to wake up to the fact that they fixed what wasn't broke. My new Corvette has the HID's (they don't swivel) and I love them on it too. The contrast and level of illumination is better than anything I've driven at night before. I did drive a loaner RX home one night with the LED's and liked them but the HID's IMO are better. I'll allow I do like the 'high tech' of the LED's.
Old 07-23-14, 05:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LED no LED DRL.

Gotta get the LEDs, go big or go home
Old 07-24-14, 07:21 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Your voting poll didn't allow for other options
I think what OP meant to put in the poll.
  • Cool LED lights
  • Cool LED lights with awesome LED strips
  • Some other crap I don't care about

The LED lights do look nicer from the outside, but I still love watching my AFS HID lights adjust side to side and up and down as I drive, and when I startup. Useful? meh! But Cool, Yes!

I used to love the LED strip light look when it first became popular, but now, YAWN! Even my neighbour's lawn mower has LED strip lights now. I actually have reversed my view and dislike them when I see car's with their turn indicators on and the 1 side strip turns off. Functional, but dumb looking.

I think the best DRLs are BMW's halo lights, they are interesting and have brand recognition. I wish Lexus would come up with some design or setup that says "Yes, this is a Lexus", and not "Yup, we slapped on some LEDs just like everyone else"

Last edited by Droid13; 07-24-14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 05:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ they are starting to with those detached LED "L" shaped strips like the IS and RC.

My LED lights also have AFS...
Old 07-24-14, 05:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

AFS is better than it was in the 330. The movement is much smoother. Too bad Lexus dropped it.
Old 07-24-14, 07:26 PM
Cruiter

Like I said, I've still got mine . At 60k, Watson is still a young boy . As far as the LED strips, I think they're pretty kool on my C7 (especially if you're in a different car and see them in your rear-view mirror). What I don't like is during the day when they're just driving lights and you hit the turn signal, they go out while the 'amber' strip is flashing in that light pod. But a lot of cars are turning off the driving light now in whatever pod is flashing the turn signal.
Originally Posted by kitlz
AFS is better than it was in the 330. The movement is much smoother. Too bad Lexus dropped it.
Old 07-26-14, 02:04 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ OP : it took me about 6 months before I found mine that I wanted. I noticed you are in Alberta, why not consider BC cars? Kelowna has a dealership, it's not close, but I think it's the closest to Alberta.
Old 07-27-14, 01:03 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The swiveling/height adjusting HID's were the best lighting option in term of performance ... that is what I have. In 2013, I think they deleted the swiveling/height adjusting and they became just fixed HID's; it was a cost cutting step backwards.
Old 07-27-14, 04:32 AM
Cruiter

I agree and almost all of the competition is offering them.
Originally Posted by UCSB
The swiveling/height adjusting HID's were the best lighting option in term of performance ... that is what I have. In 2013, I think they deleted the swiveling/height adjusting and they became just fixed HID's; it was a cost cutting step backwards.
Old 07-27-14, 12:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Update, I've now seen my third 450h with the LED headlights in 4 1/2 years. I could tell from the side view. It has a distinct look.

Originally Posted by UCSB
Originally Posted by Cruiter
I agree and almost all of the competition is offering them.
I've had AFS and the dancing headlights (aka self adjusting headlights) for the past 11 years, first on the 330 and now on the 450h. It's disappointing seeing this feature taken away as many less expensive cars have it now. A cost cutting move for sure. I also think about the flip side. AFS headlights are pretty expensive to replace. Both of mine were replaced under warranty in the 330 for the condensation issue. My SA told me they were about $2,500 a piece. Ouch!

Now the NX is supposed to have swiveling fog lights...
Old 07-27-14, 07:32 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ they are starting to with those detached LED "L" shaped strips like the IS and RC.
While I don't hate them in any way, I remain unimpressed. Its like an artist staring at something ordinary for hours, then suddenly a tiny little stroke and its supposed to be a masterpiece.... Not.

I want the masterpiece

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX450H headlights, which one do you have ?