Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Impressions after 4 months

Old 06-16-14, 10:04 AM
bring
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions after 4 months

Hi - bought a 450h on Valentine's Day - thought I would pass along some nitpicks so far.

Why is the gas tank so small? It gets 50% better mileage than the VW Touareg it replaced, but I am stopping at gas stations just as frequently. Annoying.

Ever stop on a hill? It rolls backward if you take your foot off the brake. Never seen this before from an automatic transmission, but guessing it has to do with the engine shut-off technology? No big deal - was just surprised.

It has serious torque-steer when you step on it turning from a stop sign. I wish they designed it to send some power to the rear axle is those situations - balance it out a little.

So that's about it - can't say any of those things make me dislike the car or cause me to rethink my purchase. It looks awesome, inside and out. Drives great in the snow. My wife loves to drive it. I love all the extra safety features (rear-view camera, blind spot monitors, parking sensors). I also love that it is faster than the gas engine RX.
Old 06-16-14, 10:16 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Why is the gas tank so small? It gets 50% better mileage than the VW Touareg it replaced, but I am stopping at gas stations just as frequently. Annoying.
I think it's a space issue, with the traction battery using up some room. My guess.

Ever stop on a hill? It rolls backward if you take your foot off the brake. Never seen this before from an automatic transmission, but guessing it has to do with the engine shut-off technology? No big deal - was just surprised.
Press down a little harder on the brake pedal. You'll hear a beep or two, that is the hill hold system that will keep it from rolling backwards. You have to remember, this is not a conventional automatic transmission. There is no constant pressure from the engine pushing forward while stopped, just a little bit of e-juice to mimic that experience.

It has serious torque-steer when you step on it turning from a stop sign. I wish they designed it to send some power to the rear axle is those situations - balance it out a little.
Agree, I think it should be more generous with power from the rear.
Old 06-17-14, 05:11 AM
bring
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Press down a little harder on the brake pedal. You'll hear a beep or two, that is the hill hold system that will keep it from rolling backwards. You have to remember, this is not a conventional automatic transmission. There is no constant pressure from the engine pushing forward while stopped, just a little bit of e-juice to mimic that experience.

I didn't realize that - thank you for the reply.
Old 07-09-14, 07:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It does actually send power to the rear wheels, even when turning aggressively. Unfortunately, nowhere near enough to fight torque steer. You can see it animated in action on the fuel economy info screen. That too was one of my first impressions of the vehicle. Not a deal breaker - it is what it is. I attribute this to the wrong (wheel drive) platform being used for the RX from the very beginning.