Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h keeps its title!

Old 06-16-14, 08:20 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RX450h keeps its title!

My wife and I took the IS for a day drive, yesterday. Make no mistake ..... I REALLY like my IS, but our 450h is in no danger of losing the "Best Road Trip Car Ever" title, as far as I'm concerned!

On the road, the RX gets better mileage, is easier to drive, it's quieter, and more comfortable. The only thing it lacks is some of the "fun" factor due to the acceleration (which I routinely enjoy a LOT). As a daily driver the RX has some catching up to do, but for road trips with my lovely wife ... no contest!

I just thought I would share my appreciation for this terrific car!
Old 06-16-14, 08:22 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yep! The RX is certainly the "Best Road Trip Car Ever", even going back to it's debut here in the US in 1998.

I've driven 15 hours straight with no fatigue afterwards! Such a solid road tripper!
Old 06-16-14, 08:28 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Woody, well written. For a long trip with ample space for bags, good handling, great economy, lots of visibility, creature comfort and a host of techi features along with high confidence of being dependable there's just no competition. That's why it continues to top the charts in sales for type.

Originally Posted by Woodrow
My wife and I took the IS for a day drive, yesterday. Make no mistake ..... I REALLY like my IS, but our 450h is in no danger of losing the "Best Road Trip Car Ever" title, as far as I'm concerned!

On the road, the RX gets better mileage, is easier to drive, it's quieter, and more comfortable. The only thing it lacks is some of the "fun" factor due to the acceleration (which I routinely enjoy a LOT). As a daily driver the RX has some catching up to do, but for road trips with my lovely wife ... no contest!

Old 06-16-14, 09:13 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow

Our AWD hybrids do have bragging rights over the FWD hybrids though.
0-60mph= 7.4 seconds versus 7.8.

Yes, whether FWD or AWD, the Rx hybrids are a joy to drive on road trips. Especially for its size. Myself, wife and Yorkie dog couldn't ask for a better retirement travel SUV. Our Yorkie is a good test for comfort, as before our RX hybrids she used to get car sick on long trips.
Old 06-16-14, 11:10 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's what my new C7 Stingray Vette is for. Under 3.8 0-60mph
Originally Posted by go3Ds
Our AWD hybrids do have bragging rights over the FWD hybrids though.
0-60mph= 7.4 seconds versus 7.8.

Yes, whether FWD or AWD, the Rx hybrids are a joy to drive on road trips. Especially for its size. Myself, wife and Yorkie dog couldn't ask for a better retirement travel SUV. Our Yorkie is a good test for comfort, as before our RX hybrids she used to get car sick on long trips.
Old 06-16-14, 11:38 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree. We just got back from a 2300-mile road trip to Yellowstone National Park and it was such a pleasure to ride in our RX 450h AWD. The only minor annoyance was that the Nav system kept trying to send us on Hwy 26 to the Southern Entrance when we wanted to go the the Western Entrance via Hwy 20. Finally had to get the Destination Assist guy to download those coordinates instead.
In my younger days I had a Turbo Supra. We don't need jack rabbit starts anymore. We try to engage EV mode when possible (when people are not behind us).
Old 06-17-14, 08:09 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
Totally agree. We just got back from a 2300-mile road trip to Yellowstone National Park and it was such a pleasure to ride in our RX 450h AWD....
Yellowstone is my favorite place in the US. Only the Yosemite Valley and the Black Hills come close. OK, I haven't seen much of anything west of the Mississippi, but I can't imagine anyplace more spectacular. Plus, you have the Tetons just to the south! My parents grew up in Idaho, and spent a lot of time in Yellowstone/Teton area, so it has always been a family favorite.

I can't think of a better road trip for the RX this summer, than a trip to Yellowstone. Let the planning begin!

Thank you for the great inspiration!
Old 07-02-14, 12:20 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Woody, I may share some of these revelations. However, recently I have taken a few short (2 hour one way) trips. The choice I had was between my IS300 and RX450h. When circumstances allowed, I chose the IS300 over the RX. With the speed limit set at 70, the MPG difference is almost negligible. As much as I like the comfort of the RX, I still prefer the sportiness of the IS. IS is still very tolerable to drive on long trips, even though I have replaced original springs with stiffer progressive ones. Koni Yellows are really helping in the comfort area.

Now, I was lucky enough to get stuck with an '11 IS350 AWD this past winter for 2 days as a loner. Don't take it personally, but what a horrible ride that was. I couldn't wait to get the RX back from service. The suspension was so poorly tuned, it reminded me of a Civic SI. The dampers were dialed so stiff, every little bump was felt through the body. My 1IS drives very differently. So does '14 IS350. I love the 3IS, even with its hump in the floor for AWD models. If it came with manual, I would buy one in a heartbeat.