Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Finally saw 29 mpg.... And then......

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 08:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally saw 29 mpg.... And then......

Ok, so figured I would share my quick story...

As I've stated before, NYC is not a place where you can get anywhere close to mpg numbers quoted elsewhere. The best I've gotten with even the most boring style of driving is between 25-26.5 mpg with a good mix of highway driving. Average is probably 23-24 at best if driving regular.

So last Thursday, one of my friends has the brainy idea of meeting afterwork down by Wall St. So I make the not so wise choice to drive into the city at 5pm. Electric battery was fully charged while starting out. It's stop and go (more stop) traffic for the 1.5 miles it takes me to get to the highway.

As I'm creeping along, the mpg number starts to climb. Best I've ever seen previously since I got this truck was 27.5. I reach that number again and smile. Then I seee 27.8 and i'm giddy. I'm about a good mile into the trip now. So even though I'm stuck in traffic, I've got a smile on.

I've got the 'After Refuel Avg" screen on so I can't see when it's electric vs ICE motor running but I'm feathering the pedal with the pulse method so it's as much electric as possible.

It gets to 29.1 and I'm ecstatic. At a light, I reach into the door to grab my phone and take a picture for posterity. I'm at the highway on ramp now, but the light turns green before I can get the camera ready so I give up on it and see if I can reach 30mpg.

29.1 while on the on ramp and then get up to highway speed. THEN THE BOTTOM FALLS OUT. The number starts to drop rapidly. At first I don't realize what is going on and I'm thinking something in wrong. Goes from 29.1 to 23.6 within two minutes of being on the highway. I thought I was leaking fuel or some other end of the world scenario (like someone syphoning gas while at a light - yes I have seen it happen). But then I realize i'm only using the ICE motor now.

I guess all the braking I had been doing for the first part of the trip re-energized the electric battery enough to travel a mile and a half and then drained once I wasn't braking anymore.

It was just weird to see the numbers dropping on the screen that fast. That was a first.
Old 05-19-14, 09:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Pictures or it didn't happen Seriously I've seen the same climb in stop and go traffic only to loose it when we started to move again. But it wasn't quite that dramatic. It's probably the only time I can say driving in traffic was a good thing.
Old 05-19-14, 09:15 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this too - did very good on all battery (and slow driving), the MPG climbed nicely. Battery gradually got drained down. Then hit stretch of 45 mph speed limit, the ICE kicked in and apparently was both providing power to the wheels and recharging the battery. MPG numbers dropped. Oh well.....

It does feel good to see the MPGs climb.
Old 05-20-14, 04:17 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Cliff, good that you saw the (h) really works but trying to make what a short run like you had turn into reality that will stay on your 'average' screen requires more than short runs. It's good driving and long term averages. Look at my recent post in the MPG thread up in the stickies and see what the last 3 years have registered on the computer. It's been awhile since I cleared it so a good average is showing.

That said, my driving conditions for good mpg's are probably better than what you can experience in NYC. I'm usually able to make trips in excess of 5 miles. And when the light turns green I don't try to hyper-mile but neither do I start fast. And when coming to a red light I will do a lot of coasting to it. It's a process .
Old 05-20-14, 06:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Cliff, good that you saw the (h) really works but trying to make what a short run like you had turn into reality that will stay on your 'average' screen requires more than short runs. It's good driving and long term averages. Look at my recent post in the MPG thread up in the stickies and see what the last 3 years have registered on the computer. It's been awhile since I cleared it so a good average is showing.

That said, my driving conditions for good mpg's are probably better than what you can experience in NYC. I'm usually able to make trips in excess of 5 miles. And when the light turns green I don't try to hyper-mile but neither do I start fast. And when coming to a red light I will do a lot of coasting to it. It's a process .
It was just really wierd to see the numbers fall that fast. The decimal point makes it seem longer than it was.

NYC is a different animal altogether. In any of the five boroughs you're stopping at every corner or every other corner at minimum. The guide here is 20 blocks for every mile of driving. Add in stop lights, horrible potholes 8 million people driving or walking, tourists, etc. Hopefully that gives an idea of what driving here is like.

I miss GA and NC roads but I save those states for my 8 cyl and the GS deserves to be on those smooth roads (Hwy 19 outside of Atl in particular).

I didn't get the (h) to max out the miles though. Just needed some extra space and it was the best option within Lexus for me. It more than doubles what I get with the GS so I'm keeping things in perspective. The fact that it has the same hp as what the GS started out with is an added bonus.

Was great to finally get close to those numbers you guys routinely post. I appreciate the small victories.