Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400h key replacement

Old 09-10-16, 12:16 PM
zyumin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote chip failure?

I had similar issue with my backup key. No remote door opening. The video maximizing posted helped me know the Tech Stream and let me found the programming procedure. I did body-utility-wireless lock registration, hold lock and unlock simultaniously, then hold lock, as prompted by the software. 30 seconds passed, no beep sound heard. Problem with chip inside the key?
Old 01-20-18, 10:13 AM
bentore
Driver School Candidate

Really fascinating reading this thread.
We had a break-in in the house 3-4 years ago where 2 of our RX400h keys disappeared. Since we still had one more key, we didnt do anything aboout it. Then the last key got broken and is close to useless. I went to the local Lexus dealer that first told this was not a master key, and needed to talk to the service garage people. She came back with an offer for me stating that they would need to reprogram the entire security system since 1) I did not have a master key to clone, and 2) two keys were lost to who know where. The offer for 2 new master keys, including reprogramming was aprox 2000 USD. I nearly fainted. Now there seems to be an easier and cheaper way to deal with this. I hardly see myself reprogram new keys, but is this something that should be done at a car company or a key company?

Kind regards
Ben
Old 01-30-18, 07:19 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Go easy , guys!1

I too have a broken fob.What i figured happened to mine was that i was turning it too much like i was starting a non-hybrid gas engine and putting too much stress on the joint.I've read the posts here and gone into most profiles and from what i can see, they are all hybrid owners!Since i broke it i am always careful not to turn it too far.If you experiment with the cylinder you will see that you don't need to rotate the key very much at all until you get the ready light .I , sort of, hold on to the metal as i turn and this seems to work.I noticed that my shell is only broken on the back now(i used two part epoxy to put the front piece back together) and so i'm thinking i could order the shell and just replace the back.
Old 01-30-18, 06:57 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Ben, try another dealer, the prices vary by dealer. there are key companies that will do it cheaper. Dealer said $300 at one and 400 per key at another. Erasing the old keys does not take much effort. (Nor programming in that matter. ) I call a bunch of key companies and one was able to do it, I think it was $200 or 250. I did the work myself and spent less than $100 by eBay and techsteam for two keys.
Old 06-29-18, 07:33 PM
genchau
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone. I have a 2006 Lexus RX 400h, I just bought a week ago. It only came with one master key, that's falling apart. I've been struggling for the past 2 hours trying to program the remote keyless entry on the new remotes I got from 1010keys on ebay. They are awesome by the way, I bought 2 new keys switch-blade style complete with transponder and remote keyless entry, they even had it cut from a photo I texted them. It costed $78 which includes an OBD2 programmer. I received the keys quickly about 2 days. The cut is great. The transponder programming was easy with the included OBD2 programmer. BUT I've been struggling getting the keyless to program. I tried the chicken dance for the past 2-3 hours and I can't get the car into programming mode.

At this point, from the suggestions above, I'm going to order techstream and the Mini VCI J2534 Diagnostic Cable. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I'll update this post when I'm successful, and maybe even upload a youtube video of my process.
Old 07-01-18, 01:26 PM
genchau
Driver School Candidate

SUCCESS!!!
  1. New keys bought cut from ebay
  2. Programmed Transponders with the included OBD2 programmer.
  3. Programmed keyless entry remote with TECHSTREAM.
Thank you everyone, and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-02-18, 11:10 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by genchau
SUCCESS!!!
  1. New keys bought cut from ebay
  2. Programmed Transponders with the included OBD2 programmer.
  3. Programmed keyless entry remote with TECHSTREAM.
Thank you everyone, and let me know if you have any questions.
Thats awesome. Did your keys from 1010 come with transponders? Mine was just the shell with the cut key.
Old 07-02-18, 12:46 PM
genchau
Driver School Candidate

I bought them with the transponders. Since I only had one key.
Old 09-30-18, 09:02 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Another solution found,, sort of. I just added remote start to the Rx. Compustar CS4900S-KIT from Best buy $265 with install (sale price) the unit came with 2 fobs that can lock/ unlock doors, and operate power trunk.. (right now its glitchy where the power trunk does not respond sometimes..)
Old 10-24-18, 08:18 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

update: after weighing all options i went with a company called yotamd. I've had the fob for % months now .Could not have worked out better. If you still have all fob components i can't recommend these guys enough

https://www.yotamd.com/
Old 10-29-18, 06:11 PM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ctepperor
My plastic key fob broke. Where can I get a replacement, other than the dealer? What do I need to buy?
I suggest you save the guts of the electronic part and go to a dealer and buy a plastic housing from the dealer with new stem (attached) and the dealer to cut you the key as per original key. The costs areound 100 for the new plastic with stem and about $50 for key cutting. The most expensive part is the guts of the electronic inside the broken key. Do not waste your time on other suggestions. Good Luck.
Old 10-29-18, 09:06 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The Eternity key sold by dealer is a great product. You can tell every weak point of the Lexus and aftermarket key shells was improved. I got tired of replacing the shells so invested in this key, cant say anything bad about it except the $120 price....
Old 10-30-18, 04:35 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Default I'll say it one more time

yotamd

i think it was under $80 with free shipping. No key cutting. just a simple re& re. There is a diy video on the site.They even provide the tools for installation for free.
Old 11-09-18, 09:26 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This isn't quite the Eternity key, but pretty darn good. It took about a 360 degree twist in the vice before it broke.

Old 11-11-18, 08:44 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

now that is impressive...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX 400h key replacement