Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2010 RX350 vs 2010 RX450h trade question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 09:31 PM
Derick79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 vs 2010 RX450h trade question

Hi team. I am thinking of trading my 2010RX350 for a 2010 RX450h. Both have 100,000 km on them. Just wanted to sound off what your thoughts on it would be? Do you think its worth it to do so? I've driven my friend's Lexus CT and got hooked on the "silence" (if you know what I mean). Since they both have 100,000 km on them, would they have the same wear and tear? Also concerned about longevity of vehicles if its worth it? Thanks again.
Old 02-16-14, 10:17 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Derick79
Hi team. I am thinking of trading my 2010RX350 for a 2010 RX450h. Both have 100,000 km on them. Just wanted to sound off what your thoughts on it would be? Do you think its worth it to do so? I've driven my friend's Lexus CT and got hooked on the "silence" (if you know what I mean). Since they both have 100,000 km on them, would they have the same wear and tear? Also concerned about longevity of vehicles if its worth it? Thanks again.
Should consider pay some extra to get a car still have at least 6 months warranty. Unless you have a place can service your car cheap.
Old 02-17-14, 04:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a really tough question for us to answer not knowing the cars. I can tell you that with almost 60,000 miles, my RX450h has been the most reliable car to date and the service required the most minimal. Mostly oil changes and tire rotation with fuel, cabin air, and engine air filters sprinkled in. I just drive it . If your daily mileage is more than just short trips to the grocery you'll benefit from increased mileage.

What's the cost difference?
Originally Posted by Derick79
Old 02-17-14, 05:36 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mileage poor determinant of condition

100K on one car can be completely different from 100k on another.
Example:
I have 103K on my 93 SC300, owned since new. I commute 2.8 miles, four times a day. That means I: use the power locks, slide across the seat, use the power steering wheel positioneer, turn the key, run the power antenna, use the starter, etc, just as much as someone who commutes 28 miles. In other words I've used all the auxiliarly components 10 times more for the same mileage. The 28 mile commuter would obviously have 10 times the mileage on the drivetrain, suspension, etc., but if you assume that's largely highway miles, the toll on the drivetrain wouldn't be 10 times what I do driving the car cold every day.
So, I'm killing my Lexus! But it still soldiers on after 21 years. That's why we chose a Lexus SUV, bought it from the same salesman, even.
So buying a 100K car from someone like me is not a good idea!
Granted, both the vehicles you're looking at are the same age so the difference wouldn't be the same as I describe, but you get the idea.

Jonas
Old 02-17-14, 05:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Having owned a CT and RXh, I understand the addiction to the smooth and library-quiet power delivery with the added benefits of increased gas mileage.

In addition to what Cruiter and jrfiero are stating which are big factors, you also need to factor in future resale. The slight downside to the h is the market is more sensitive to resale after the hybrid warranty is expired (160k km / 8 years) than on the regular gasoline RX350. People are more afraid of costly repairs on the Lexus Hybrid Drive if issues were to occur. If you're keeping it for the long haul then this should be irrelevant to you.

Another note. On my '07 RXh with close to 100k km on it, I had a Check Hybrid error message popup soon after I got maintenance done at a local chain which I won't mention here. Long story short, the $2K+ CVT tranny pump needed replacing because they messed with it. Lesson learned, if you get the RXh, because of its complex integrated systems, don't skimp out on service. At minimum, get it serviced at Toyota, or of course at Lexus.

Thread if interested: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...p-failure.html

A final note on longevity. Brakes will last you longer due to the regenerative braking. As for the powertrain, so long as they've been (and continue to be) properly maintained (which is 99% the same as a regular gasoline RX) the Toyota/Lexus Hybrid technology is exceptionally reliable. Vancouver and Winnipeg taxis driving Priuses have several hundred thousand kms, with some hitting 1 million!

EDIT: Not sure if anyone can chime in, was there a recall on the inverter or something else with the hybrid system on the 3RX? If so, something to check on the vehicle you are considering if that was taken care of...

Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-17-14 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 05:27 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got one of the very 1st RX450h models, built May of 09 as a 2010 model. There's been no recall re: the inverter on this model. There was one on the Gen II RX 400h (the previous model). I'm approaching 60K now and the car has been fabulous in all respects. I'm at the point of making a decision to keep it 'forever' or trade/sell it just to get even newer features (I'm a tech addict). I keep my cars in the garage when they're not being driven and that definitely adds additional years to the usable life when the metal and rubber isn't left constantly exposed to the elements. I still have the original wiper blades that work well if that gives you an idea. Wouldn't be possible if the car lived outside.

If the industry reached a point where 'tech stuff' wasn't radically changing so often, I'd probably keep a car like this maybe 20 years
Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Having owned a CT and RXh, I understand the addiction to the smooth and library-quiet power delivery with the added benefits of increased gas mileage.

In addition to what Cruiter and jrfiero are stating which are big factors, you also need to factor in future resale. The slight downside to the h is the market is more sensitive to resale after the hybrid warranty is expired (160k km / 8 years) than on the regular gasoline RX350. People are more afraid of costly repairs on the Lexus Hybrid Drive if issues were to occur. If you're keeping it for the long haul then this should be irrelevant to you.

Another note. On my '07 RXh with close to 100k km on it, I had a Check Hybrid error message popup soon after I got maintenance done at a local chain which I won't mention here. Long story short, the $2K+ CVT tranny pump needed replacing because they messed with it. Lesson learned, if you get the RXh, because of its complex integrated systems, don't skimp out on service. At minimum, get it serviced at Toyota, or of course at Lexus.

Thread if interested: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...p-failure.html

A final note on longevity. Brakes will last you longer due to the regenerative braking. As for the powertrain, so long as they've been (and continue to be) properly maintained (which is 99% the same as a regular gasoline RX) the Toyota/Lexus Hybrid technology is exceptionally reliable. Vancouver and Winnipeg taxis driving Priuses have several hundred thousand kms, with some hitting 1 million!

EDIT: Not sure if anyone can chime in, was there a recall on the inverter or something else with the hybrid system on the 3RX? If so, something to check on the vehicle you are considering if that was taken care of...

Good luck.