Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX 450h Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 08:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Exactly. It works on the Prius, but does not work on RXh. Trust me, it is not how quickly I press the button.
RXh will go through the warm-up phase regardless. It is also more restrictive on when the EV mode works, even with the warm engine.
Old 04-02-14, 10:21 AM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Exactly. It works on the Prius, but does not work on RXh. Trust me, it is not how quickly I press the button.
RXh will go through the warm-up phase regardless. It is also more restrictive on when the EV mode works, even with the warm engine.
Well, I certainly trust that this has been your experience.

This suggests that the circuits operating the EV control in an RXh are set up differently than those in a Prius. In a Prius, the EV button is simply a momentary switch which grounds a circuit for the period during which it is pressed. It is curious why these circuits are set up differently in the two cars with essentially the same Hybrid Synergy Control. If there is a difference, I would expect the Prius to be more restrictive because emission control is a bigger issue for that car.

Not to have the choice to move the RXh very short distances without needing to warm up the engine is a significant handicap which the EV button is/was able to overcome. In fact, in a non Plug in, I see little value for an EV button without that.

Bummer!
Old 04-02-14, 08:34 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

The Prius has always been the flagship hybrid car, the lack of some kind of decent EV button operation is a slap in the face. On the other hand the main reason the rx450H has EV is so they can make it sound cool in the brochure, but it's clearly an afterthought. A manager was walking out of the planning room in 2008, turned around and said (paraphrasing the Japanese), "Oh yea, Marketing wants an EV mode, throw something simple into the software and add it to the menu buttons on the steering wheel. Have it done by lunch, back to work!"
Old 04-02-14, 10:30 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
The Prius has always been the flagship hybrid car, the lack of some kind of decent EV button operation is a slap in the face. On the other hand the main reason the rx450H has EV is so they can make it sound cool in the brochure, but it's clearly an afterthought. A manager was walking out of the planning room in 2008, turned around and said (paraphrasing the Japanese), "Oh yea, Marketing wants an EV mode, throw something simple into the software and add it to the menu buttons on the steering wheel. Have it done by lunch, back to work!"
Andy, your speculation about the factory thinking is probably a s good as any.

Back the the purpose of this thread

I think that a ScanGuage will work sitting on top of the plastic which is around the steering column just below the instrument cluster and to the left of the odometer. The four items I will have displayed are RPMs, coolant temp (in degrees) , speed (more accurate than the the car), and fuel remaining (in gallons). If it blocks the temp gauge, go well, it will display the temp.

Allan
Old 04-03-14, 06:24 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allannde
Andy, your speculation about the factory thinking is probably a s good as any.

Back the the purpose of this thread

I think that a ScanGuage will work sitting on top of the plastic which is around the steering column just below the instrument cluster and to the left of the odometer. The four items I will have displayed are RPMs, coolant temp (in degrees) , speed (more accurate than the the car), and fuel remaining (in gallons). If it blocks the temp gauge, go well, it will display the temp.

Allan
But what do you gain? Understand the point of seeing actual RPM's but for what purpose will it serve on a hybrid? Just trying to see what the tangible benefit ends up being?

In my head, either you are maximixing the performance (hybrid performance) of the vehicle (Eco Mode, Pulse driving, EV mode, etc) or not. And if not, does it really matter cause now you're using it as an 'efficient' 350.

Just wondering...
Old 04-03-14, 09:50 AM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
But what do you gain? Understand the point of seeing actual RPM's but for what purpose will it serve on a hybrid? Just trying to see what the tangible benefit ends up being?

In my head, either you are maximixing the performance (hybrid performance) of the vehicle (Eco Mode, Pulse driving, EV mode, etc) or not. And if not, does it really matter cause now you're using it as an 'efficient' 350.

Just wondering...
It is a fair question. The original poster expressed his opinion. That was the reason for this thread.
I have driven a hybrid for eight years and have had a ScanGuage almost from the start. At first the reason for it was because I wanted to know when the engine started. I also like to know when the engine is warm and how warm, at that. Then I realized that it was nice to have a more accurate reading of the fuel remaining. Then I learned that Toyota intentionally sets the speedometer to read faster than actual. If you have stock tire size, the ScanGuage is right on. At real 60 mph the car speedometer may read 63 mph Finally, it is nice to be able to know what trouble code has set when the check engine light comes on. Sometimes you can figure out what the problem is by going on line. If, for example, it is a pressure leak in the gas cap (common) you can fix it yourself and clear the code.

It is a matter of curiosity. I suppose that if one is not curious about such things, there is no advantage.
Old 04-03-14, 10:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allannde
It is a fair question. The original poster expressed his opinion. That was the reason for this thread.
I have driven a hybrid for eight years and have had a ScanGuage almost from the start. At first the reason for it was because I wanted to know when the engine started. I also like to know when the engine is warm and how warm, at that. Then I realized that it was nice to have a more accurate reading of the fuel remaining. Then I learned that Toyota intentionally sets the speedometer to read faster than actual. If you have stock tire size, the ScanGuage is right on. At real 60 mph the car speedometer may read 63 mph Finally, it is nice to be able to know what trouble code has set when the check engine light comes on. Sometimes you can figure out what the problem is by going on line. If, for example, it is a pressure leak in the gas cap (common) you can fix it yourself and clear the code.

It is a matter of curiosity. I suppose that if one is not curious about such things, there is no advantage.
The only useful part of the description is the code reader function. But anyone should have one and use it when needed. But where i'm losing it a bit is how much more functional is this item versus what is already given to you.

Isn't the display on the dash in real time? Telling you exactly when the engine comes on? Which matches up to the 'power' areas the tach is residing. What is the benefit of knowing a level more? I'm not being facetious, I'm wondering.

There are reasonable explanations to almost any of the things it can do. Having people drive 3mph slower than what they think? Eh, not so bad. Gas level should never be low enough to matter, don't wait until the light comes on. Per CL, about 2 gallons when light comes on. Any more detail needed than that seems borderline you deserve what you get, lol.

I understand, but don't understand.... the CL experience. lol
Old 04-03-14, 12:10 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
The only useful part of the description is the code reader function. But anyone should have one and use it when needed. But where i'm losing it a bit is how much more functional is this item versus what is already given to you.

Isn't the display on the dash in real time? Telling you exactly when the engine comes on? Which matches up to the 'power' areas the tach is residing. What is the benefit of knowing a level more? I'm not being facetious, I'm wondering.

There are reasonable explanations to almost any of the things it can do. Having people drive 3mph slower than what they think? Eh, not so bad. Gas level should never be low enough to matter, don't wait until the light comes on. Per CL, about 2 gallons when light comes on. Any more detail needed than that seems borderline you deserve what you get, lol.

I understand, but don't understand.... the CL experience. lol
It does not seem to me that you have anything to understand. You are describing your level of curiosity which is fine. And, I agree with your points regarding not cutting corners too closely. I still like to know just where those "corners" are.

There several screens to watch and I usually watch the consumption screen which does not include the information regarding whether the engine is running. If you watch the power distribution screen, you have no need for the RPM information to know when the engine is running.

It is quite possible and safe to drive without a ScanGuage. I don't sell them, I just enjoy mine.
Old 04-07-14, 01:31 AM
subtones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is quite possible and safe to drive without a ScanGuage. I don't sell them, I just enjoy mine.[/QUOTE]

Could post a pic of your scan gauge & placement (or if you prefer, email it to me)?
Old 04-07-14, 09:38 AM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subtones
It is quite possible and safe to drive without a ScanGuage. I don't sell them, I just enjoy mine.
Could post a pic of your scan gauge & placement (or if you prefer, email it to me)?[/QUOTE]

Sure

My RXh is still in the factory but I made this composite photo which shows how it will look. The best dash photo I had is of an RX 350 but it shows the position. I will run the wire down where the door closing will hide it (there is plenty of space). The OBDII plug where it connects is under the dash. I will cut a small block of wood to make an angle for support so that the ScanGuage will be level on the sloping dash. I will use a small piece of sticky baked velcro to keep it in place (it will not take much Velcro to do the job. I have done this before).
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Tachometer-sccanguage.png  
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-06-18)
Old 04-16-14, 08:03 PM
subtones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re picture

Thanks for posting that picture, I'm going to order it (ScanGauge ll). I think it will fit in the pocket just above the steering column on my 2010.
It has a lot of interesting features.... see http://www.scangaugesales.com/ScanGauge_II.html
Old 04-19-14, 08:56 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subtones
Thanks for posting that picture, I'm going to order it (ScanGauge ll). I think it will fit in the pocket just above the steering column on my 2010.
It has a lot of interesting features.... see http://www.scangaugesales.com/ScanGauge_II.html
Hi subtones - I seriously considered that location and I think it would work. I have a ScanGuage in just that location on my Prius right now. It is harder to hide the wires there but the most important consideration is that you need to reach through the steering wheel to make adjustments and there ARE times during driving when an adjustment is needed. It not an emergency, though, and it is possible to pull over or wait until you are stopped.
Old 03-06-18, 05:09 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have mounted my ScanGauge on top of the steering column. This photo doesn't really do it justice as it's dark at night when I did this. I don't think it obstructs any of the dash instrumentation, except perhaps the odometer. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to have an RPM readout, as well as a means of scanning for any error codes.

Name:  titPCX6.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  27.8 KB

Nice to see that the MY2016 RX450h and the NX300h have a really cool Power Meter which flicks into a tachometer when Power Mode is enabled.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-06-18 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 08:41 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

The switching meter is indeed very cool. But I'd much rather be able to switch between the hybrid meter and a fuel usage meter. The hybrid meter on the RXh is nice as it shows you the two ECO ranges (pseudo EV, and normal EV), plus the charge range. The power range is like, yea whatever, I know I'm stepping on it. But my old Camry Hybrid had a fuel usage meter that I find was far more useful than the digital display I have in the RX for the same thing. Plus it also showed when the engine was spinning without fuel, and when it wasn't spinning at all. I'm more interested in how the engine is spinning, not how fast the engine is spinning.
Old 03-12-18, 12:32 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally don't have any need for a tach. I use a tach in a conventional car with a stick shift to see where to shift in a full-acceleration situation.

One can tell when the ICE is off by using the bar graph on the panel showing current fuel mileage. If it's pegged over to the right while you're moving (90+mpg), the engine's off. If the computer is telling the engine to remain on for charging or heating purposes, the mileage bar will be in the 40-60mpg range after lifting off the accelerator.

Last edited by riredale; 03-13-18 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: RX 450h Tachometer