Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Remote Start in extremely cold temperatures

Old 01-26-14, 09:49 PM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start in extremely cold temperatures

Not sure if there is a problem with my remote start, but my 450h won't start when the temperature is below zero. The parking lights flash as if the car is powering on, but when the gas motor starts to turn over...the gas motor quits. So I have to start the car and let it warm up for a bit....then turn the car off...then try the remote start and it works just fine.

Has anyone experienced this?

I should mention that I have the Lexus remote starter.

Last edited by prosales72; 01-26-14 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Adding more information to the original post
Old 01-27-14, 03:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, I think that is unusual, but then again I've had third party remote starts on my RX's and I often remote start from miles away or a block or two away, in most cases I never see the car start or try to start.

The remote start manual says:
The general operating temperature of the REMOTE ENGINE STARTER under ideal conditions is above -22° F (-30° C). Due to multiple Vehicle Side variables, this operating temperature may fluctuate.
It does say "variables", perhaps battery voltage is one of them. Is your battery okay? When the outdoor air temperature is above zero, does it remote start okay?

Sorry, I'm no help. Perhaps some other "remote starters" have seen this. Heaven knows we've had plenty of practice lately
Old 01-27-14, 10:09 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, prosales72. I've been having the same issue with my 450h. Doesn't help that I have a 15 commute All is well above 10 degrees. But anything below and it'll respond the same way yours does. I brought it to the dealer two weeks ago to ensure the 12V battery was fine. Of course the temps were warmer by then so remote start worked fine. My SA said she would have it changed if it happened again. Well, more cold weather and RES didn't want to work again. This time I contacted Lexus Customer Service, today in fact, to find out more information since it's supposed to work in temps above -22 F as David pointed out. I found out there is an ECU problem in 2010 models. Lexus contacted the service manager at my dealer to let him know. He hasn't called me yet but I'm sure he's working on locating the part. My SA is out today too.

I'd suggest contacting your dealer and mention the ECU issue. I wish I had more specific information than than but it should be enough. I'll let you know when I get mine fixed. In the meantime stay warm
Old 01-27-14, 12:35 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Anita,

Does yours fail in the same fashion as prosales? Prosales engine starts to turn over, yours too?
Old 01-27-14, 12:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yup, I do the lock, lock hold sequence and it starts up. I can see the nav screen turn on. But two seconds later it blinks one more time and turns off. It's supposed to keep blinking several times and stay on. I guess it's my bad luck to have this happen after four years and during the coldest month in history But I know my awesome dealer will take care of it
Old 01-30-14, 09:11 PM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

So I brought my 450h to my lexus service department this morning to have them look into the remote starter issue. I should mention it was 28 degrees this morning....the remote start worked as normal this morning. They couldn't replicate the issue....obviously because it was 28 degrees. I mentioned the ECU problem Kitiz brought up, but didn't phase my service advisor...he could do nothing because it was working fine.

Not happy with the assessment, I called Lexus Customer Service and inquired about the issue. The representative I spoke to, told me there has been no reported issue with the remote starter/ECU for the 2010 450h. She recommended talking to the Service Manager and request I leave the car overnight the next time the temperature is below zero. It's suppose to be sub-zero next week in Chicago again...I'll make another appointment on Monday.

I'll keep you posted...

On a side note, my loaner car was a 2014 450h...with the exception of added technology features (I really like sport mode), the ride and handling was pretty much the same as my 2010 450h.
Old 01-31-14, 03:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

prosales72, I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to have the module replaced. Lexus Corp is how I found out about the problem. I'm not sure why they said what they did to you. Unfortunately they didn't pass this information on to the dealers. No alerts, bulletins or TSIBs were issued. And of course remote start works later in the day when it's warmer. The service manager at my dealer had to fill out a form. Two days later, the part is in. I'll get more information and post it here. Or you can ask your dealer to call mine, Lexus of Bridgewater, the service manager's name is Ron.
Old 01-31-14, 06:46 AM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information!

I gave Ron a call this morning...he ask me to call my SA and let him know to call Ron. Something about not being at liberty to give Lexus CS contact information to me. Just got off the phone with my SA, we'll see what happens...
Old 01-31-14, 08:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

That's great! Let me know if you have any problems since I'll be at the dealer tomorrow. I figured there would've been more complaints regarding remote start with the absurdly cold weather lately. But I guess we're just the lucky two affected. But pretty soon we'll both be warm and happy. Just in time for the heat wave, LOL!
Old 01-31-14, 09:35 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought this was a useful explanation:

One of the most dreaded parts of winter for many drivers is the first few minutes of sitting in the car and waiting for it to heat up. While many just shiver in silence, some drivers choose to install remote starters that get the car all warmed up before they even leave the house or the office. Not only does this cut down on the time you spend huddled and shivering, but it can also make it much easier to scrape ice and snow off your car.

So how does a remote starter turn the engine without a key in the ignition? Well, when you press the remote start button, it sends a radio signal to a module in the car that activates the ignition. The module is hardwired into the ignition system, and when it picks up the remote signal, it sends a jolt of electricity through the wires, which is the same way turning a key works. In the case of cars with manual transmissions, the remote starter can override the clutch, so no one needs to press it down for the engine to turn over.

Many newer vehicles are being built with remote starters already in place, but there are plenty of aftermarket options for older cars and trucks. Remote starters can now be found with timers, and some can even be programmed to start up periodically throughout the night, which is helpful for people who live in extremely cold climates. Extreme cold can cause cars to seize up and not start, which is the last thing you want to happen when you're already running late for work and there is fresh snow on the ground that will make driving more time-consuming. These starters will also turn the car off after a certain amount of time so the car won't just be running all night long.

There are other remote starters that don't even need to be manually activated. If your hands are full of groceries or children, or if you just can't get to your keys, all you need to do is get within a certain distance of your vehicle and it will automatically sense that the remote is nearby and start the car. If the doors are locked, however, you will need to fish around for the keys to get inside
Prosales

I would venture to guess that your remote start is working fine. Believe you just hit the extreme end of the temp range. As you stated, it worked fine when temps rose. Cold temps cause havoc on electronics. Add in that ILL wind chill to metal and can only imagine what temp it really was.
Old 01-31-14, 01:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

oohpapi44, RES is supposed to work in temps of -22 F and above. Mine stopped working at temps between 0-10 F over the course of several days. Lexus Corp informed me there is a known problem with 2010 models with it installed after they talked to their tech support. That was two weeks after I brought in the RXh to have RES and the battery checked. Everything tested fine of course. It's one of those situations where you know there's a problem but nobody can duplicate it or figure out what it might be. It doesn't help the RES manual is very thin with no "what to do if" scenarios. The ideal temp is not in there. I found that online. Maybe it has to do with the fact RES is not made by Lexus. Still, it would've been much easier if the information about the defective module had been passed on to the dealers or the customer.
Old 01-31-14, 01:38 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
oohpapi44, RES is supposed to work in temps of -22 F and above. Mine stopped working at temps between 0-10 F over the course of several days. Lexus Corp informed me there is a known problem with 2010 models with it installed after they talked to their tech support. That was two weeks after I brought in the RXh to have RES and the battery checked. Everything tested fine of course. It's one of those situations where you know there's a problem but nobody can duplicate it or figure out what it might be. It doesn't help the RES manual is very thin with no "what to do if" scenarios. The ideal temp is not in there. I found that online. Maybe it has to do with the fact RES is not made by Lexus. Still, it would've been much easier if the information about the defective module had been passed on to the dealers or the customer.
Hi Anita;

Believe Prosales (it's edited now) stated his temps overnight were -15, add in a bit of wind chill and I'm sure it hit -22 with ease during the polar vortex. Was just throwing it out there as a possibility since he was near max levels.

Would be great to know exactly what the ECU issue is or which module it is that needs replacing. From the current edit of the original post it sounds as if the module is not sending enough electricity to the starter to get things to turn over.

Also not sure why it would only affect 2010 models. Does OP have a 2010, I didn't see it stated.

There are ton of "what if's" ranging from 'nothing is wrong, ECU issues, or third party product problem....

My personal opinion is RES is not worth anything to you unless you have a garage. To have to get within 30 feet in NYC means I'm already outside. By the time I am in range to unlock, two more steps and I'm at the truck before the engine turns over to open the door and shut the thing off again.

I will be putting the same Viper system I have on my GS on the RX, can start it from a mile away with the FOB roll windows up/down, page me if alarm goes off, stick your hand in the window, I get a text, etc. For the same price of RES.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 01-31-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 04:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I don't think the weather was extreme for RES to work considering the same thing happened to me with temps above zero. It's just too coincidental. I'll try to get more information tomorrow about the problem with the module if I can. Lexus can be so proprietary at times, LOL! Both of us have 2010s, I checked prosales72 'profile. I'm not sure why it only applies to our MY and not others. And I find it interesting Lexus came out with RES+, no doubt to compete with all the aftermarket systems.

I'm fine with plain Jane RES. I've gotten it to work at greater distances by placing the fob next to a metal window frame five stories up and a few hundred feet away. I'd start the RXh a few minutes before I left. By the time I got to it, the cabin was at least a little warm. I know some of the AM systems have been problematic for other members. I'd rather stick with what was designed for the car. Interesting, one warning Lexus has in the RES manual is to start the car when it's within sight. I have to agree with it in the sense I wouldn't want to attract unwanted attention, especially in a dark parking lot.
Old 02-01-14, 03:39 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Metals and electronics do not feel wind chill. Wind chill is perceived and metals do not perceive. If the temperature is 15 below and the wind chill is 22 below, a car is only 15 below. Wind chill is a animal thing...just an FYI.
Old 02-01-14, 09:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I'm back from the dealer after getting the module replaced. The repair took about an hour and 15 minutes. I didn't bother taking a loaner for that amount of time. Just wasn't worth it. I also don't have any new information about why the module failed. Nobody had ever heard about it before. So far everything works. That's what counts. But I'll have to wait until it gets colder to really test it out.

prosales72, Ron told me he mentioned to you he would fix your remote start too if you dropped in, LOL! He gave the info to your dealer. You should be set. Like I said before, it took two days for the part to come in. So maybe you can have it working again within the week. Please let me know what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start in extremely cold temperatures