Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Remote Start in extremely cold temperatures

Old 02-04-14, 08:17 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacment old type for new

Too bad they did not replace the old short range one with the new type that you can use your smart phone to start the car with.
Old 02-04-14, 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

billy44bo, it's not worth paying for the annual subscription for the limited times I use it.

So far so good since I had the module replaced. But it hasn't dropped below 10 yet. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old 02-04-14, 03:24 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

with the range that I get on my car the RES is not worth it.
Old 02-06-14, 06:56 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To bring up the battery variable again, after 3 years and one month, last week my 2010 Lexus 450h was found with a dead battery in the driveway. Wife drove it the night before so I cannot account for the shut down. Temp was in single digits.

When I jump started from the engine connections, the car was in alarm mode where I had to deactivate the alarm with one hand while jumping it with the other. Don't think the neighbors were too happy at one in the morning.

Ran the RX for only 10 minutes and put it in the garage.
Started the RX for the next four hours... Like nothing was wrong??? Crazy!

Our friend also bought a RX350 at the same time as we did and had a dead Panasonic battery with a dead cell. Dealer replaced the battery. There car seems to work OK now

I am thinking, as someone mentioned earlier, that it might be a current issue or ECU issue. I will take it in to the Dealer over the next week to see if I have a bad battery cell or ECU problem.

I will forward kitiz's documented fix in hopes of coming up with a solution. I will post when I have new information.

Gampa
Old 02-12-14, 08:41 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Good news, remote start worked perfectly this morning with temps around 10 degrees. I forgot to check the exact temperature but it's borderline with when I used to have the problem. It's supposed to start warming up to near normal and above next week which means I might not have another chance to use it. Can't wait, this winter has been downright brutal!

Gampa, the bad module was on the RES. The 12V battery and everything else checked out fine on my 450h. I brought it in to the dealer a few weeks before the module was replaced. My battery is four years old BTW. Fortunately it comes with a liberal warranty. I hope your dealer figured out the problem on your 450h. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-17-14, 06:22 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reference my dead battery...

I finally had a chance to drive the 450h for a week now and it appears that there is no problems starting the car. It looks like my wife was at fault for leaving on the overhead light on in combination with the extreme cold temps.
I reconnected the remote starter and it seems everything is working fine. I will post again if I experience any additional problems.

Gampa
Old 02-17-14, 06:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Glad you got the 450h running again Gampa. Next problem, getting rid of the snow and cold temps.
Old 03-01-14, 05:23 AM
prosales72
Driver School Candidate

So I finally had the ECU replaced for my remote start (I felt my SA was dragging his feet on this issue, but that's another story). With sub-zero weather in Chicago this past week, the remote start fired up my 450h with no struggle. Thanks Anita for putting your two cents in to help solve the problem.
Old 03-01-14, 05:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

prosales72, that's great news. I like happy endings
Old 01-08-15, 09:48 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Anita, I experienced the same problem with my remote start with the 7 degree temperatures this morning in NJ. Did you have your RES module replaced at Lexus of Bridgewater? Whom did you contact there that may know about this problem? Thanks.
Old 01-08-15, 10:02 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Ouch, sorry to hear dadcat1. RES worked fine for me in 5 degrees this morning. I was more worried about the 5 year old battery. Ron, the service manager at Bridgewater, took care of completing the paperwork for the new module. Mary is my absolutely awesome SA there and also knows about the repair. Contact either one of them. Good luck.
Old 01-15-15, 10:24 AM
dadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought my 2010 RX450h to Bridgewater to check on my remote start not working at low temperatures a couple of days ago. Today, they notified me that the extended warranty would not cover the RES module replacement because it was not an absolute electrical failure. If I wanted the module replaced, it would cost me $294.
Old 01-15-15, 10:39 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sorry to hear that. Call Lexus Corporate and tell them your RES is not working in single digit temps. Also, mention there is a known defect with RES installed in 2010 RX450hs and you want if fixed under warranty. They were the ones to tell me about it after a few phone calls. It was not communicated to dealers. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 02-06-15, 04:29 AM
desmo907
Driver

Default How does it work?

I have a 2013 450h and may want to add the remote starter (possibly myself as I am decent with a wrench though it looks like I may have to take apart the dash to install a module so not sure how difficult that may be) - anyway, I had a few (maybe silly) questions.

-- Can I use my current Lexus key fob (if I use the Lexus system)?
-- Does the key fob need to be in the car when starting remotely - I assume not but then what prevents someone from jumping in and taking off (maybe doors stay locked)?
-- I assume I can shut the engine off from the fob as well - yes?

Thx.
Old 02-06-15, 08:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

desmo907, there are two versions of remote start, RES and RES+. The latter uses your cell phone to start the 450h and requires an annual subscription. RES uses the Lexus fob. Assuming this is what you want, the Sewell website has the installation instructions. From there you can decide if it's a project you want to tackle. I'd recommend checking with your dealer to see what they charge. A few run specials this time of year. Otherwise the cost to you would be $178.35 plus your time. Register with Sewell to get the discounted price. They also include the user guide. Basically to engage RES, the lock button on the key fob is pressed three times in quick succession, then held until the hazard lights start blinking. It does not need to be inside the RXh. It will turn off after 10 minutes or if one of the front door handles are touched. Additionally, you can shut off the engine by unlocking the vehicle or holding the lock button until the hazard lights flash.

Two things to keep in mind. The first is regarding distance limitations. It's about 70 feet though I've managed much greater distances by pressing the fob again metal when starting my 450h from a few stories up. I would also check with your town. Some have laws banning vehicles left unattended while on to discourage theft. Lexus defeats that possibility by turning off when anyone attempts to open the door. Still it's worth mentioning.

BTW, the RES problem is isolated to 2010 RX450hs as far as I know. It's been a year since the ECU was replaced. I haven't had a problem since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start in extremely cold temperatures