Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

4RX 450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 09:04 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default 4RX 450h

Hello hybrid experts!

I am planning on buying the next generation RX450h in early 2016. I wanted to ask how likely it is that the GS450h powertrain will make it into the new RX450h.

The curb weight of the GS is 4190 lbs vs. the curb weight of an RX450h AWD at 4652 lbs. However the GS can run 0-60 in 5.6s whereas the RX does it in a slow 7.5s. What gives?

The reason I ask is because a fully loaded RX450h costs about the same as an Audi SQ5 (0-62 in 5.3s). While you don't get the same MPG, you do get a much, much faster SUV. I do not find my current RX350 fast enough and the young guy in me is screaming for speed...thoughts??
Old 01-15-14, 12:59 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I believe the hybrid you are looking for is the LS600h. If you insist on the best luxury hybrid with speed, SPEEED, SPEEEEEEEEDDDDklsdflksdjflksdjflsjdflksdfjlksd.... that is what you want!

But if you want a bit of bulk with your speed, no doubt a refreshed RX450h will get some modest HP boost and probably greater efficiency. I think it's almost sacrilege these days not too. Who's going to upgrade to a hybrid refresh that doesn't increase power and efficiency? Will it be the exact same specs as the GS450h, definitely not. The hybrid system in the GS is tweaked and laid out for the GSh RWD, and the new RXh will have it's own tweaked configuration and layout extremely likely maintaining FWD/AWD.
Old 01-15-14, 05:12 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your goal is to beat other drivers away from stop lights, an RX450h should satisfy you. Thanks to the instant torque its electric motor provides, I have no problems in that department. For that matter, my wife's 2012 Camry hybrid performs nearly as well.

But it seems to me self defeating to pay a premium for a hybrid and then drive it like a race car. If you don't intend to take full advantage of a hybrid's fuel-saving technology, I think you'd be better off going with the most efficient powerful car you can find instead of a hybrid. Just my opinion, no offense intended.
Old 01-15-14, 05:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Considering GS has a longitudinally mounted engine, and RX is transverse, I would say, not very likely. Also, GS is RWD only, while RX has an extra (3rd) electric motor to drive the rear wheels in AWD configuration.
Old 02-05-14, 11:19 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

LOTS of variables between the RX and the GS besides weight. They may indeed have the same drive train (I would wager they ARE the same), but they have very different purposes. The GS is rated at 338 HP, while the RX is rated at 295 (total system power). It would be interesting to see the torque ratings, but they don't talk about those on the web site.

The difference will be found in the engine tuning and transmission setup, which will clearly be more performance oriented for the GS. Possibly sacrificing drivability and fuel mileage for the improved performance. Simply put, the cars have different purposes, and are tuned to meet different expectations.
Old 02-06-14, 09:12 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Thanks everyone for the commentary. On a side note, I had the opportunity to drive a '11 RX450h and '13 RX350 F-Sport and I noticed that both felt slightly less peppy than my '10 RX350.

The GS450h is rated at 29/34 MPG with 338 HP. Weight is 4190lbs.
The RX450h is rated at 30/28 MPG with 295 HP. Weight is 4652lbs for AWD.

I am not looking to race, but I do notice (and feel) that the RX is considerably slower than most luxury SUVs (0-60):
'14 X5 xDrive35i - 6.2s
'14 Q5 TDI - 6.5s
'13 Q5 Hybrid - 6.8s
'12 Ford Edge - 7.5s
RX350/450h - 7.5s
'13 GS450h - 5.6s

I am hoping that Lexus will be more competitive in this area with the 4RX since the GS450h is already able to pull off a very good performance to MPG ratio! They might have to remove the sports from the SUV if the RX can't even outrun a Ford Edge...
Old 02-06-14, 11:16 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

"Sport" in SUV is an oxymoron to begin with. Even with all of the above, none of them are remotely sport cars (GS is not an SUV). If you do want a sports car experience, buy a GS and call it a day.

If a fast SUV is your goal and you're willing to sacrifice reliability, maintenance costs and gas mileage, then Germans is the way to go.
With FWD platform, RX never will be a source for an adrenaline rush you're looking for.
Old 02-06-14, 01:31 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I am not looking to race, but I do notice (and feel) that the RX is considerably slower than most luxury SUVs (0-60):
'14 X5 xDrive35i - 6.2s
'14 Q5 TDI - 6.5s
'13 Q5 Hybrid - 6.8s
'12 Ford Edge - 7.5s
RX350/450h - 7.5s
'13 GS450h - 5.6s
The only times I feel the need for faster acceleration are when (1) pulling away from a stop light in the left lane where there are two lanes of traffic in each direction and needing to get into the right-hand lane toute suite and (2) accelerating onto a freeway when there's oncoming traffic that's not coming on fast enough to slow and merge behind and too fast to merge smoothly. My RX 450h has more than enough power to meet these challenges. In fact, it easily "beats" most other vehicles away from stop lights, without hardly trying. Proportionally, 7.5 seconds from 0 to 60 is much slower than say 5.6 seconds in the GS450h -- 25% slower. But you're still only taking about 1.9 seconds, which doesn't seem like much of a deal breaker to me.
Old 02-07-14, 09:03 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
The only times I feel the need for faster acceleration are when (1) pulling away from a stop light in the left lane where there are two lanes of traffic in each direction and needing to get into the right-hand lane toute suite and (2) accelerating onto a freeway when there's oncoming traffic that's not coming on fast enough to slow and merge behind and too fast to merge smoothly. My RX 450h has more than enough power to meet these challenges. In fact, it easily "beats" most other vehicles away from stop lights, without hardly trying. Proportionally, 7.5 seconds from 0 to 60 is much slower than say 5.6 seconds in the GS450h -- 25% slower. But you're still only taking about 1.9 seconds, which doesn't seem like much of a deal breaker to me.
Each second off 0-60 makes a huge difference in feeling. When I am getting on the freeway, I feel like the RX struggling to get up to speed. When I go up hills (which I do all the time in Seattle), I can feel the car struggle to keep its speed.

I've driven 5.5s and 6.5s cars, and the feeling is very different. I would consider a GS but I like the size and ride height of my RX. I may go german as vlad recommends unless the 4RX becomes more competitive in this area. I can't be the only one thinking this?
Old 02-07-14, 09:54 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
When I am getting on the freeway, I feel like the RX struggling to get up to speed. When I go up hills (which I do all the time in Seattle), I can feel the car struggle to keep its speed.
I dunno. I've never had a problem getting up to speed on a freeway around here, even though I keep the car in eco mode all the time. It's just a matter of punching the accelerator. As for hills, I haven't noticed any problems either. We routinely drive over a 1,800-ft. summit between Santa Cruz and Silicon Valley without any problems. The speed limit is 50 there and I observe it. But if I need to pass (it's 4 lanes), I can. I found that if I take the RX out of eco mode, it responds more quickly, but that's a bit complicated to do on the fly.
Old 02-07-14, 10:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The RX never feels effortless, I think thats the problem. However, I am willing to bet that the next RX will not increase in HP and focus more on efficiency through weight saving and a more advanced hybrid system.
Old 02-08-14, 01:35 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ericsan13, the SUVsThat will meet your needs

1. Porsche Cayenne S
2. BMW M5
3. Range Rover HSE supercharged
Old 02-08-14, 05:08 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We all have opinions as I have my own, but what should be adequate acceleration power for SUV's of the RX h type? Mine is 4.5 years old now with just shy of 50,000 miles and I can count on one hand the times I've gone full throttle (foot on the floor) to accelerate from stop or just to pass. The torque and power for a car of that type combined with luxury and the economy it achieves 'IN MY OPINION' is incredible. I know the goal is to continually strive for more power with more economy and that's fine. But for the current model, I'm fine with it. It gives me what it advertised at the time.
Old 02-08-14, 07:25 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The torque and power for a car of that type combined with luxury and the economy it achieves 'IN MY OPINION' is incredible. ....for the current model, I'm fine with it. It gives me what it advertised at the time.
As I may have mentioned before, I went from an '07 V6 4WD RAV4 Limited to my 2010 RX 450h. If anything, the RAV4 was overpowered, and I would've burned through a lot more gas in that car if I hadn't learned to keep a light foot on the accelerator. Even then, it would beat most other cars away from a stoplight. But after more than six years (but still less than 50,000 miles) the ride became just too unpleasant for us. The 450h delivers a better ride, better mileage around town without, in my opinion, sacrificing too much power. Oh yeah, and I can still leave most other vehicles in the "dust" at stoplights without really trying.
Old 02-08-14, 10:38 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
The RX never feels effortless, I think thats the problem. However, I am willing to bet that the next RX will not increase in HP and focus more on efficiency through weight saving and a more advanced hybrid system.
Thank you - I think you captured my feelings. It is interesting to hear people's predictions on what the next RX will be like. A diet would help the performance a bit though!

Originally Posted by markrivers
Ericsan13, the SUVsThat will meet your needs

1. Porsche Cayenne S
2. BMW M5
3. Range Rover HSE supercharged
I really wish the BMW X5 M35d was available in the US. The goal is to have at least equal performance as the X5/Q5 without sacrificing too much MPG, which the GS450h and the SQ5 have been able to do. These SUVs do not meet that criteria.

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
As I may have mentioned before, I went from an '07 V6 4WD RAV4 Limited to my 2010 RX 450h. If anything, the RAV4 was overpowered, and I would've burned through a lot more gas in that car if I hadn't learned to keep a light foot on the accelerator. Even then, it would beat most other cars away from a stoplight. But after more than six years (but still less than 50,000 miles) the ride became just too unpleasant for us. The 450h delivers a better ride, better mileage around town without, in my opinion, sacrificing too much power. Oh yeah, and I can still leave most other vehicles in the "dust" at stoplights without really trying.
The city in which I live is full of luxury cars. I am usually the one being pulled away from, at least when I am staying in ECO mode. The goal is to effortlessly pull away, which I cannot do. I am not trying to race at stoplights, but it is made clear often to me that "in my opinion", the RX could use some more umph. Even V6 Camrys and Accords at half the price can do 0-60 in 6.5s. To me a luxury car is about excelling on all fronts.

Enjoying the commentary - let's keep it going. 4RX speculations?

Quick Reply: 4RX 450h