Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Long term owner-ship feedback of a 2007 GS450h?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 06:42 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Long term owner-ship feedback of a 2007 GS450h?

Anyone on here that has had a 2007 GS450h for a few years now?

What is your opinion and feedback on owning this car? Specifically reliability of the CVT and battery.

Reason for my question is simple - I'm considering getting a 2007 model for my wife to replace her 2006 Civic Hybrid and want to know what the long term reliability of the battery and CVT is.

What is the warranty from Lexus for the battery replacement? (years and mileage).

What has been the average mileage of this model before the battery needs replacing?
Old 12-14-13, 03:26 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't owned my GSh for a long time, but I'll tell you as much as I know. In my opinion its an amazing car, the CVT and hybrid battery are amazing. Warranty is 8 years/100K for the battery. Most people don't need the battery replaced at all, but there have been failures before 100K (covered by warranty). If you buy, I would suggest getting a car that has had the battery replaced recently for peace of mind. I would also suggest getting an 08+ because there were cosmetic changes and first year models always have issues.
Old 12-18-13, 09:10 AM
camcon007
Driver School Candidate

Default Longterm feedback

I might avoid getting a GS450h with over 100k miles as that is when the hybrid batt/power train warantee expires. I have owned my GS for 3 years now and Lexus completely replaced the battery and hybrid drive (about $6k) at 83k miles. From talking to my brother that is a mechanic at local Lexus dealership, he says that they will honor the warantee after this mileage.
Old 01-01-14, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed

What is your opinion and feedback on owning this car? Specifically reliability of the CVT and battery.

Reason for my question is simple - I'm considering getting a 2007 model for my wife to replace her 2006 Civic Hybrid and want to know what the long term reliability of the battery and CVT is.

What is the warranty from Lexus for the battery replacement? (years and mileage).

What has been the average mileage of this model before the battery needs replacing?
HI bud, to me the major risk is the hybrid battery around 100k miles. There are quite a few of us who had them replaced by Lexus. Outside of that my GS 450h (132k now) is pretty flawless. I had a HID bulb go out once.

No issues with the CVT, its a very stout tranny. Note the trunk is on the small side.

Its my first hybrid and I loved the experience. My wife has driven it quite a few times and was fine with it (too low for her now so she doesn't drive it lol). Its rare, people still ask questions "its a hybrid, thats crazy" and its quiet since the car runs on the battery power quite a bit.

It gets the 23 MPG as advertised and its quite the bullet, most people that I've let drive it are shocked at how quick it is. I've gotten some great MPG on the highway 28-33 depending on driving conditions.

Its a car I can only highly recommend. :thumb up:

Old 01-01-14, 02:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

hey hameed. definitely a quick smooth car. small trunk may or may not matter to you.
Old 01-01-14, 03:54 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed

Although I only had mine up to 70K it was problem free only issue I had was the water pump going early and the battery needing to be reset for some error code. Like Lexfather said there have been some issue's with other members at 100K I think you should look for 08 and up as the price should have come down with the 4GS being out also the trunk space was a little bigger in the 08 and up.
Old 01-02-14, 12:11 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an 07 with 90k miles and now im starting to fear the dreaded message. The service advisor I spoke with at Lexus Westminster said that location has only had to change the battery pack in on vehicle, RX400h. He assured me they were super reliable, yet I browse through the different threads and it seems common place. Kinda bummed out now.
Old 01-03-14, 06:56 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I have 125k miles on mine. No issues.
Old 01-04-14, 03:14 AM
Speedy0o
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

155k on mine now, I've done 65K in it myself over 3 years of ownership and I still love it. Not cheap when things go wrong if its out of warranty though! My hybrid battery is still working fine, I don't get 100% charge but as far as I'm aware I never had throughout my entire ownership!
Only problems I've had was a misfire, wheel bearing, exhaust corrosion, and suspension bush deteriorate! All of which were out of warranty! These are general wear and tear items though so could of happened on any car! Probably due a water-pump failure at some point though seeing as its getting on a bit in age/mileage! Other than that I can't complain! I shall see how the boot(trunk) holds up in a few months when I have a new addition to my family hehe!

Edit
Oh and a headlight bulb (HID), dont get that done at the dealer if you can help it though, as they charged me £172 for the bulb alone!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-14, 08:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input and feedback. Its very much appreciated.

The reason why I posted this thread to begin with was because the battery in my wife's 2006 Civic Hybrid needed replacing and the car is no longer under warranty. Cost to replace the battery including labor is a little over $5K.

To cut a long story short, I sweet talked a Honda rep at Honda Canada and Honda replaced the battery for free as a goodwill gesture and I only had to pay the labor cost which was under $300.

So the plan to replace her car is now on hold as we will keep the car for a couple of years. Its paid for, very reliable and in excellent condition. It doesn't make sense to go into debt and buy a $30K vehicle (that's what the 2007 GS400h's are going for now in Canada).
Old 06-01-14, 04:15 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anyone thought about the super duper alternator, if it fails what would be the cost?
Old 01-27-15, 08:36 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

200,000 kms

I bought my car with 147,000kms in Sept 2012 (i think)
And just clicked over 200k last week.
From lexus my hybrid system was replaced and batteries at 120,000kms before i bought
Old 01-30-15, 07:09 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a question that might sound stupid but if you buy a car from a used "no name" dealer can you still take it to Lexus under warranty? Wasn't sure how that worked.
Old 03-02-15, 12:52 PM
mikeGS
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know if Lexus is know for helping their consumers? My 07 GS 450H that I just bought 2.5 months ago has a bad hybrid battery and it only has 85k miles on it but the 8 years was up back in October. CAN YOU F$#@$%# believe my situation? I'm pretty seasoned in the car business too, and yet I'm still finding myself in a "Used Car Horror Story" Its $6k to replace, and I even did my homework and researched the battery longevity. I'm not sure what angle to take. The beg and plead angle with Lexus, or go the other route which would be trying to sue the dealership I bought it from or at least beg and plead with them, but so far they are saying that the extended warranty i purchased doesn't cover the hybrid system, thanks for mentioning that. I feel like a retarded person, i just put myself in such a bad spot. HELP!!!
Old 09-08-15, 01:26 AM
Imancar
Driver School Candidate

can you help alittle here please.
I got a 2007 GS450h with 127000 miles on it . very clean . 2 weeks ago.
The MPG doesnt show better that 18 . and the battry lossing it's bar very fast and charge also very fast , also from the monitor I can tell the electric motor rarlly use by system.
is it normal??????????????????????
what can effect the MPG this much.
I heard of 24 in city and 30 in highways.
I mostly drove in the city .
Appriciate to share your experiance .during a week car exactlly used 1.5 tank . and I didn't that much drove it

Quick Reply: Long term owner-ship feedback of a 2007 GS450h?