Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Leaking radiator

Old 11-09-13, 07:46 PM
tonyeccs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Leaking radiator

2008 RX 400H radiator started leaking. Replaced it today and found a crack in the housing. Went for a test drive and turned up the heat to high. I live in NJ and it was rather cold today. Was only getting cold air and observed the climate control was on air conditioner even though it was set to high. The job was done at home and I did not bleed the system. Does anyone know if the system has to be bled? If it does can anyone give me the instructions to do so. All the reservoirs were filled.
Old 11-25-13, 01:27 PM
bvend
Driver School Candidate

Default radiator replacement

Picked up my 2006 rx400h after the radiator was replaced and ac and heat did not work properly
Temperature sensor in front of radiator was not plugged back in. Plugging it in solved the problem
Old 01-24-14, 06:20 PM
jimboesfo
Driver School Candidate

How many miles were on the RXs when the radiators failed? My experience with Japanese cars is that the plastic top of the radiators frequently crack between 130K and 160K. Seems to be more mileage related than age. Experience is with 2000 Mitsubushi, 1992 Lexus, 1997 Honda.
Old 01-25-14, 01:35 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

ours cracked around 100k miles.. 2006 400h
Old 01-27-14, 03:25 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

question, would some steam coming out of the front grill area likely indicate a cracked radiator?

thank you.!

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
ours cracked around 100k miles.. 2006 400h
Old 01-29-14, 08:09 AM
jimboesfo
Driver School Candidate

Steam coming out of the front grill should be investigated. It could be a leak/crack in the radiator or a hose leaking. If it is steam from the cooling system, the coolant in the reservoir should be low. You need to remove a trim piece to get a good look at the top of the radiator where cracks usually occur in my experience.
Old 01-29-14, 12:08 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone know who makes the OEM radiator? If it is Denso you can get a Denso in the aftermarket for around $85. I think it is a simple 1 row radiator.
Old 01-29-14, 12:10 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you getting it checked out!

Originally Posted by jimboesfo
Steam coming out of the front grill should be investigated. It could be a leak/crack in the radiator or a hose leaking. If it is steam from the cooling system, the coolant in the reservoir should be low. You need to remove a trim piece to get a good look at the top of the radiator where cracks usually occur in my experience.
Old 01-29-14, 08:37 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
thank you getting it checked out!
Many years ago I had a tool which was a radiator cap with a fitting on it to attach a tire pump to pressurize a cold radiator. That way you could pinpoint a leak without the water turning to steam. Are these still available? Was very handy.
Old 01-29-14, 08:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by riwyle
Many years ago I had a tool which was a radiator cap with a fitting on it to attach a tire pump to pressurize a cold radiator. That way you could pinpoint a leak without the water turning to steam. Are these still available? Was very handy.
Amazon.com: Radiator Pressure Tester Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Radiator Pressure Tester Kit: Automotive
Old 08-09-14, 02:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyeccs
2008 RX 400H radiator started leaking. Replaced it today and found a crack in the housing. Went for a test drive and turned up the heat to high. I live in NJ and it was rather cold today. Was only getting cold air and observed the climate control was on air conditioner even though it was set to high. The job was done at home and I did not bleed the system. Does anyone know if the system has to be bled? If it does can anyone give me the instructions to do so. All the reservoirs were filled.
Where did you get your radiator and what brand?
Old 08-11-14, 06:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Yup major crack on radiator opposite side of upper hose...about 3 inches long. Ordered one from Rock auto (denso) hope it turns out to be a easy task...
Old 08-19-14, 09:12 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

OK received radiator from Rock Auto, (Denso brand) and it looks exactly like the original. I found you can replace it without removing the bumper cover. The rivet looking thing on the hood latch assembly for the front bar is actually a plastic cover which can be removed to access a 10mm nut. Than the top radiator mount can be unbolted and swung away. There are two bolts on the very bottom of the radiator that can be accessed by lifting the radiator with the condenser and putting a block of wood under it so you can unscrew the 13mm bolts that hook the bottom frame to the radiator. I am back in business now. About $110 with shipping.
the Denso is a one row, like the OE and made in Taiwan...Great quality by looks and construction. Not a bad job except for dropping one of the bolts in bottom of radiator into a hole in frame. Had to retrieve with a magnet.
Old 08-20-14, 10:52 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the update. For that price you may as well replace whenever you do a water pump.
Old 08-21-14, 05:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smassey321
Thanks for the update. For that price you may as well replace whenever you do a water pump.
I don't know, disturbing that stuff sometimes get you trouble. With the new anti-freezes coolants these radiators stay relatively clean. not like the old days when you would get deposits and rust accumulation. Funny note you can get the plastic tanks for $90 apiece, but with radiators that cheap why bother.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking radiator