Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Rear brakes locked up after sitting-2010RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 07:17 AM
2010RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear brakes locked up after sitting-2010RX450H

I recently bought out our company leased 2010 RX450H. This is my first Lexus and I was excited. The car has sat for a week or two and when I got in it last night (Tues pm) to drive it, the rear brakes appear to be locked up. I put on the emergency brake and then released it and still the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions on what may have caused it or what to do?
Just went down (Wed AM) and investigated further, it is the right rear tire only. I once again tried setting emergency brake and releasing it, nothing. I am wondering if the emergency brake has not been used enough in the past and the brakes got stuck somehow?

Signed,
Sad new owner

Last edited by 2010RX450H; 08-28-13 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Updating - Adding more information.
Old 08-28-13, 08:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on your new to you RX, and I'm sorry your having problems. I've not encountered any sort of brake problems on any of my RX since my first one in 1999.

Assuming you are under warranty, hopefully you have not waited to call for service already, and made use of Lexus Roadside Assistance as necessary. I hope you get the problem resolved quickly. Keep us informed!
Old 08-28-13, 01:34 PM
2010RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
Congrats on your new to you RX, and I'm sorry your having problems. I've not encountered any sort of brake problems on any of my RX since my first one in 1999.

Assuming you are under warranty, hopefully you have not waited to call for service already, and made use of Lexus Roadside Assistance as necessary. I hope you get the problem resolved quickly. Keep us informed!

Thanks for your reply. The vehicle is out of warranty, therefor roadside assistance has expired also. It is in an underground garage and I don' tknow if a tow truck will be able to get in due to the low ceilings. I may try roadside assistance tomorrow and even if they charge me, I need to get something going to get it mobile again. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 08-28-13, 01:52 PM
BertL

OP, happen to have AAA? You could have them tow it to Lexus. Other thing is, why not call "your dealer" (wherever you plan to use for service), and talk to one of the Service Advisors and get a recommendation from them. I'd try that before spending money on a tow.
Old 08-28-13, 02:19 PM
2010RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, happen to have AAA? You could have them tow it to Lexus. Other thing is, why not call "your dealer" (wherever you plan to use for service), and talk to one of the Service Advisors and get a recommendation from them. I'd try that before spending money on a tow.
Cancelled AAA and called Lexus about an alleged Lexus Motor Club as mentioned in my handbook. That was 27 minutes of my life I will never get back. I will try calling a service advisor before getting a tow. I guess I was hoping roadside assistance would give some suggestions. Thanks for you helpful suggestions and insight. MB & Cadillac have always been very helpful with my other cars, this being my first Lexus, I don't know what to expect. Thanks again, Hopeful
Old 08-28-13, 02:28 PM
BertL

...as a side note, your manuals are pretty dated now when it comes to current customer support. When you have the time, sign yourself up on https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home using your VIN. You'll be able to get to online manuals, current support info, even the service history of your RX. It's free, so worthwhile once you get this issue behind you. GOOD LUCK.
Old 08-28-13, 07:20 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well like Bert said, Congrats on your new ride. I bought new and still have what you bought and love it. 54K, now and running like the day it was new. And as long as I've been moderating here haven't heard of what you're describing. Given that, I'm pretty sure it's some anomaly and once you get that wheel a turning it will keep turning . I'm sure you tried rocking it forward and back trying to release it. Probably going to need the flatbed if that didn't work. Let us know the end of the story please.
Old 08-28-13, 08:30 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Was this vehicle driven previously by only one person in the company? Maybe they were one of those drivers who NEVER uses the emergency brake and the parts on the right side "froze" up when you set it. Not that it's going to help you outa this.
Old 08-28-13, 09:53 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

I've had it happen before on a pervious vehicle (old toyota). The caliper froze up when I depressed the brake and released it. It was exactly like you said, only on one side. It required replacing the caliper and it was good as new. Remember if your RX450h is AWD, it must be towed on a flatbed or with a dolly under the rear wheels. Not doing so can destroy the drive train/ rear motor. I got a 2010 RX450h AWD myself. Good luck! I hope this is the only issue you have with it. I am trilled with mine!
David

Originally Posted by 2010RX450H
I recently bought out our company leased 2010 RX450H. This is my first Lexus and I was excited. The car has sat for a week or two and when I got in it last night (Tues pm) to drive it, the rear brakes appear to be locked up. I put on the emergency brake and then released it and still the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions on what may have caused it or what to do?
Just went down (Wed AM) and investigated further, it is the right rear tire only. I once again tried setting emergency brake and releasing it, nothing. I am wondering if the emergency brake has not been used enough in the past and the brakes got stuck somehow?

Signed,
Sad new owner
Old 08-30-13, 08:07 AM
2010RX450H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's help and encouraging words. I called a service advisor and before I could finish, he kind of laughed and said he sees it all the time. He said after running them through the wash bay, if they are not picked up in a day or two tops, the brake pads rust to the rotors. He said just get in it and give it the gas. I came back about 11pm to have the garage to myself as I was concerned with hitting someone, something or the pole I park next to and with being totally embarassed. I first shook the right rear a bit, the cars, not mine, then got in and went forward, then backward, it was only dragging the tire and the slippage light came on. I then went back to more of a rocking motion to get more leverage. Finally it snapped, which the service manager warned me about hearing and all seems to be working again. Drove it home and back to work today and all seems fixed. I guess my lesson is after a wash, drive it enough to dry the brakes off or be sure to drive it home that night. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and positive thoughts. I am a happy Lexus owner again. Have a great holiday weekend everyone.
The following users liked this post:
animalfarm (02-25-23)
Old 08-30-13, 08:38 AM
BertL

Glad it all worked out, and that your first "free" experience with a Lexus Service Advisor was a good one.
Old 08-30-13, 10:28 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Great news! Enjoy your RX!!!!
Old 08-30-13, 10:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm glad there was a happy ending and it didn't cost you anything. I've had the same thing happen after using certain products on the rims or wheels despite rinsing and drying them well. Scared me the first time, especially the noise. No ill effect came of it. You should be fine.
Old 08-30-13, 12:54 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Rusting together is common as is freezing in the winter. Sometimes even if I dry with a leaf blower this "lockup" happens. Alkaline or acidic products clean the rotors nice and shiny and you can almost watch the rust come back.

Gentle rocking breaks it loose, but as Anita said sometimes that snap sounds awful.
Old 09-01-13, 01:13 PM
donheff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this post. I had the same brakes locked problem after backing a trailer into water. This was the only reference to the issue I could find. I was locked up tight as a drum. No way I would have popped it as hard as it took if I hadn't read the anecdote about the service department laughing about the problem.

I will post a separate thread on my experience to bump the topic for others and to see if more info is available.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes locked up after sitting-2010RX450H