Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Coolant replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 04:58 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, road salt sure takes a toll on the undercarriage.
Old 04-21-15, 12:50 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Under Carriage rust

Yup, I have seen a lot worst in 07/08 models to date. This was the better of the bunch when I was car shopping. Lexus does not seem like they spent much money in the rust proofing department.
Old 05-21-18, 12:47 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a $50 off coupon to my local dealer, is it worth it to change the inverter coolant on my own still?
Old 06-19-18, 03:53 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
I have a $50 off coupon to my local dealer, is it worth it to change the inverter coolant on my own still?
IMO yes, self is still much cheaper. about $120. But I am cheap. The work is pretty straight forward.IMO, if you can do an oil change you can do the coolant change.

Ask the dealer the price of a change. Then see it is worth your time.
Old 05-22-20, 01:48 PM
aeroelasti
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jooksing82
Job is complete! You are right, With the wheel removed it was easy to get to. Much better than going under a vehicle when you don't have to.
Quick notes/tips.
1.Those plastic cover tabs are "push in the center" then remove.. I tried to pull the center out with pliers and ended up breaking a couple of them.

2.For the Hybrid coolant I used about 0.6 gallons of coolant. For the Gas engine It was a little past two gallons. Even spilling some I used less than 3 gallons.

3. When using a funnel to pour into the radiator for the gas engine, press down a little on the funnel to create a light seal at the throat of the opening. The coolant flows very slow into the radiator and quickly backs out the opening. By pressing lightly on the funnel it allows the coolant to stay in the funnel while it slowly seeps in.

4. The drain valves on the radiator are plastic, and it took about 8-10 half turns before it starts draining, at 13-14 half turns the drain valve will fall off.

5. I got the pressure tester loaned for free from the auto parts store. I turned my cabin heat to full max to force the gas engine to run so it would bring it to temp. It seems like the pressure slowly drop on the tester but did not find any leaks. I wonder if it is because the engine was cooling off?

6.About the using the special expensive Toyota Super long life. MSDS http://www dot worldpac dot com/tagged/Antifreeze-Coolant_00272SLLC2.pdf
and from a Corolla manual...
“Toyota Super Long Life Coolant”
or similar high quality ethylene
glycol based non-silicate, nonamine,
non-nitrite and non-borate
coolant with long-life hybrid
organic acid technology.
For the U.S.A.:
“Toyota Super Long Life
Coolant” is pre-mixed with 50%
coolant and 50% deionized
water.
For Canada:
“Toyota Super Long Life
Coolant” is pre-mixed with 55%
coolant and 45% deionized
water.
hi sorry to bring out this old thread, I have just replaced my radiator as it’s leaking. Waiting for my pink coolant to arrive tomorrow to top up. The above did mention turn the heater to full to keep the gas engine running, is this with the fan Speed setting to max? Do I turn on the AC as well? Otherwise I reckon the engine will keep cutting off to go to hybrid mode?

I haven’t got the spill free funnel so just going to use a normal funnel and bleed it by waiting for bubbles to surface while engine warm up, this is ok right? Do I need to do anything special? This is the first time I bleed a hybrid engine.

thanks.