Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Are you guys seeing lower mpg from winter gas ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 08:16 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are you guys seeing lower mpg from winter gas ?

During warmer months, i can avg 32 mpg, now i'm only getting 27, yeah the ICE comes on as soon as I turn on the car.. ice kicks in as soon as I apply the accelerator, even in the lower green zone... can't wait till spring
Old 11-30-12, 08:57 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not just the "winter gas." EVERY ICE runs less efficiently in colder temps and the one in a hybrid is no exception. Once the cat converter is up to temp, the ICE will shut down unless you're calling for heat from the HVAC. Try it at a stop some time; if the ICE is running and has been on awhile but the interior is still cold, turn the HVAC off. The ICE should stop. Of course, that's not very comfortable in cold temps.

Last edited by BobBass; 12-13-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 06:26 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

air is also denser, needs more fuel to burn
Old 12-01-12, 10:20 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using winter blend has not affected my mileage at all. Living in a milder climate though could have something to do with it.
Old 12-03-12, 09:27 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily I like the cold so I dont have heat till maybe late jan and feb when its a lot colder.

Either way, can't wait till spring to get the mpg back up
Old 12-03-12, 01:48 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
It's not just the "winter gas." EVERY ICE runs less efficiently in colder temps and the one in a hybrid is no exception. Once the cat converter is up to temp, the ICE will shut down unless you're calling for heat from the HVAC. Try it at a stop some time; if the ICE is running and has been or awhile but the interior is still cold, turn the HVAC off. The ICE should stop. Of course, that's not very comfortable in cold temps.
Kind of a cool thing to know!

Help me out, though. I know the engine requires more fuel when it's cold outside, because it gets more air due to increased density. As a result, it would need more fuel to maintain the correct mixture. However, we also know that more air and more fuel makes more power. In my warped sense of logic, it seems like you would use less pedal to achieve the same performance. Unless this particular engine is exceptionally sensitive to air density for some reason, it seems reasonable that less pedal would offset the need for more fuel when it comes to mileage. Does that make sense, or am I completely off base?

I didn't know the ICE runs as long as you're calling for heat from the HVAC, though. That (along with a "winter blend" of gasoline with 10% ethonal) would be huge, and I suspect would account for the biggest part of the reduced mileage in cold weather. Am I close?

Last edited by User 41924; 12-03-12 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 09:31 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Another limiting factor is the temperature of the traction battery. If it's really cold the hybrid system will rely much more on the engine until it warms up. I assume it warms up with small charge/draw cycles. I believe some plug-ins allow you to set a timer so that the battery pack is pre-heated and ready to go when you expect to leave the house.

I remember one particularly bitterly cold winter morning (~ -25C / -13F) 2 or 3 years back with my Camry Hybrid, on button start it instantly started the engine too, didn't wait the normal few seconds before the engine start.
Old 12-13-12, 10:14 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
Another limiting factor is the temperature of the traction battery. If it's really cold the hybrid system will rely much more on the engine until it warms up. I assume it warms up with small charge/draw cycles.
Really? That's so cool! Being a geek, I really like the electronics/computers in our cars! I hadn't thought much about battery management or efficiency, especially as it relates to mileage!
Old 12-13-12, 03:09 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Woodrow,
Actually, I think if the vehicle is THOROUGHLY warmed up, the ICE will shut down at a stop whether the HVAC is on or off. However, once the coolant temp drops below a point at which it can deliver heat, the ICE will start back up. You only notice this kind of thing at extended stops like at a drive-up business where you might be waiting awhile. As I said, once the ICE starts, you can "force" it off by shutting down the HVAC.

The calculations performed by the computers/software in these hybrids are truly mind-boggling.
Old 12-13-12, 07:14 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's correct and will alter more if you change between ECO and normal.
Originally Posted by BobBass
Woodrow,
Actually, I think if the vehicle is THOROUGHLY warmed up, the ICE will shut down at a stop whether the HVAC is on or off. However, once the coolant temp drops below a point at which it can deliver heat, the ICE will start back up. You only notice this kind of thing at extended stops like at a drive-up business where you might be waiting awhile. As I said, once the ICE starts, you can "force" it off by shutting down the HVAC.

The calculations performed by the computers/software in these hybrids are truly mind-boggling.