Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Hesitation on Acceleration in Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 06:54 PM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on Acceleration in Hybrid?

Dear Forum members,

My wife and I have pretty much made our mind getting a new 2013 RX, and although we first wanted to go non-hybrid route, the fact that notorious "hesitation on acceleration" is still present in 2013 RX-350 made us turn our noses to a hybrid. With this regard, I have a couple of questions I was unable to find answers to when researching online. Any input is greatly appreciated.

(1) First and foremost, is it true that RX-450h is completely devoid of the problem of hesitation on acceleration, presumably arising from Drive-by-Wire (DbW) system? Is this because hybrid does not utilize DbW? I have read other people's postings saying "hybrid has CVT, so it's OK". Well, Nissan uses CVT as well in, say, Murano, and yet it also is known to have acceleration issues. What does the problem source then comes down to, transmission type or DbW? Does any of you know of any instances of the issue being present in RX-450h?

(2) 2013 RX-450h current owners: is there any things you really don't like in your hybrid? Anything that failed to slip into online magazine reviews, but still could make everyday driving less facile and happy? Any issues a prospective owner could benefit from knowing beforehand?
Example: in new Acura RDX, none of reviews mentioned that an audio system in the car has a serious bug: When playing music from flash drive/hard drive in "Shuffle" mode, the car generates exactly the same sequence of songs every single time the engine is on, and if an owner picks any song just to break that sequence, "Shuffle" mode instantly deactivates, and songs start playing in turn following the one selected. Although seemingly minor issue, this problem could seriously complicate driver's enjoyment of music. Just imagine: the same order of songs every single time when you start the car... I hope Lexus does not have issues like that one...

(3) Is it true that in certain "green" states (MA, for example) hybrid battery warranty is longer than a regular 8-year range? And that requirements for such an extended warranty include buying and registering a hybrid in a "green" state? Also, hypothetically speaking, if it is possible to purchase extended warranty on a car itself, can one also get an extended warranty for hybrid parts, such as hybrid battery?

(4) Lastly, is it fine to leave a hybrid idle for, say, a week? Does it perform better than RX-350 with respect to its draining the battery?

If you could clarify for me all of these things I will be really grateful.

Thank you.

Last edited by kreozZ; 11-20-12 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-20-12, 10:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

1) I had an rx330 2004 and that had serious hesitation issues. I thought it came from the transmission, which also had a tsb reflash to try to change the programming. As of yet, I have not experienced the same hesitation issue on my 2011 RX450h mainly because the CVT does not need to "think" about which gear to engage. Probably your best bet is to take a lengthly test drive on some hilly terrain.

2) People keep saying that they cant tell when the engine turns on in Lexus hybrids. I think this is a bit false because I certainly feel vibration, but only when it turns on at say 5mph when I am just starting from a stop. That is my only gripe.

3) as far as I know, CA is one of those states and it is a 10 yr warranty instead of an 8 year warranty, with 150K miles instead of 100K. But I have yet to get this completely checked out.

4) I drive my hybrid on the weekends mostly and it usually sits in my garage monday through friday. I have even been on vacation for as long as three weeks with no problems.
Old 11-21-12, 04:11 AM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much, RXSF!
Any other comments on the topic, guys?
Old 11-21-12, 05:28 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you clarify your post a little bit? Your questions seems to indicate you're considering an RX450h but your profile indicates you already own one. Which is the case please?

RE: CVT transmission, yes it has a CVT of Toyota/Lexus design that has a proven track record of dependability. Also the RX 450h has been named as the the best of Luxury SUV's by USAA insurance company and others as well. That being said no car is ever built that will totally please 100% of the people that buy it. It seems the genetic make up of many just want to find flaws even when they don't exist or just want something to work similar to something in their past. Some people have a hard time with 'change' even when it's better. The (h) drives slightly differently than the non-hybrid but I've never experienced or heard of hesitation in one.

RE: your question #4, why would you want a car that could 'idle' a week ? That's a very strange question don't you think ?
Ok, I misread your question. You're asking if you can leave it parked for that period. I'd put a trickle charger on it or do as the manual suggests and have some one drive it once every couple of weeks for just a few minutes and that should take care of any battery issues.

Last edited by Cruiter; 11-21-12 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-21-12, 05:35 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"2013 RX-450h current owners: is there any things you really don't like in your hybrid?"

My issues are the steering wheel, the steering, the driver's seat, and the intrusion of the hatch on usable space.

The wheel design has its spokes and controls where I'd like to put my hands. I have to grasp the wheel higher or lower than natural for me. Plus I can't find the horn when I'd like to.
The driver's seat just isn't comfortable for me. Too flat, too wide, something.
The steering is soft feeling, or slow, or sloppy, don't exactly know. When you put the car in Sport mode it changes the steering (which is electric) and it's a different car.
The hatch is sloped so much that it reduces cargo area. I tried to stack set of wheels and tires for my other RX (7, Mazda) in the back and couldn't do it, had to mess around with seats and arrangement when I expected it to be easy.

Those might not sound like big things, some of which I'll get used to, but I came out of a 2001 Highlander that was better in all those respects. My wife drives the 450 daily, I get to drive on long trips, where the steering wheel and seat are bothersome.
If I had to do it over again I would look harder at Audi and BMW.

Oh, and the mpg is disappointing.

Jonas
Old 11-21-12, 11:01 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We went from a 2010 RX350 to a 2013 RX450 a few months ago. Until we bought ours, I would have sworn that I would be the last person on the planet to own a hybrid vehicle. We drove the 450h on a lark, and I was REALLY surprised that I actually preferred it over our 350. The 450h is more comfortable than the 350, it has a better ride, and it handles better. I attribute the last 2 things to the extra weight of the hybrid, as I am not aware of any other changes to the suspension. I may be wrong on both counts.

It turns out after driving the car for a while, that we are BOTH complete converts, and couldn't be happier with our car. I thought the 350 was close to being the perfect car for us, and we like the 450h WAY more! By now, the novelty of driving a hybrid is reduced, and we have graduated to everyday transportation mode. I still feel like it's more comfortable, handles better, and rides better, and I have gotten to the point where I rarely even think about the CV transmission (my biggest adjustment). The mileage was only a secondary consideration for us initially, but we definitely appreciate the 29 to 30 MPG! We still enjoy monitoring the energy and mileage. It's just entertaining. From a performance standpoint, my wife feels like it is actually faster than the 350, and enjoys the upgrade. She may be right, but its pretty close. It definitely doesn't feel any slower!

So, to your questions:
1) We have NEVER experienced any hesitation. Honestly, I can't see the fix being the CVT. I think it's the electronics of the DBW, but maybe the CVT masks it.
2) There is nothing I can thing of we don't like! You have to be aware there are vents for the batteries under the back seat. You wouldn't notice them if you weren't looking, but you can't block them. They are right below the seat, and vent to the cabin area, where your feet would go. It's not an issue, but you need to be aware of them (according to the manual). Personally, we don't ever put stuff on the floor, anyway. We have experienced NONE if the issues some folks complain about, in either car. No rattles, good ride, and good handling, for an SUV.
3) Can't speak to warranty or tax advantages. These weren't a consideration for us.
4) There are threads regarding the long term storage of the 450h elsewhere in this forum. From what I've read, the 450h isn't that different from a non-hybrid. Some say that if you're thinking of letting it sit idle for 30 days, it's a good idea to put a trickle charger on it. I think that's a good idea for any car that's going to sit for a while. I wouldn't worry at all about letting it sit for just a week, under any circumstances.

Basically, it's just a car. You'll likely find things you like about it, and things to which you'll need to adjust. It's a personality thing for the car AND for the owner. Are there things I would like to change to make it easier to use? Yes. Then again, others might never notice the things I would like to change. They fixed the only things we didn't like about our 2010 350 (The radio in particular was inconvenient and difficult to use, for my wife), and I'm still not a huge fan of the "mouse" interface, but it is improved. Actually, my only complaint might be that I wish it had a tachometer so I could watch how the CVT manipulates the RPM.

We love the car, and there really is nothing we don't like about it. It does EXACTLY what they say it will do, and it does it well. In my opinion.

Last edited by Woodrow; 11-21-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 05:26 PM
RXSF

Oh I thought of another thing I dislike. when you really push it (as I often do because of the hills of san francisco), the CVT gets very loud and unpleasant.
Old 11-22-12, 08:15 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Oh I thought of another thing I dislike.
Me, too. Except mine is about the ONLY thing I don't like, and it isn't specific to my RX450h.

The price and quality of service from Lexus dealerships is ridiculous and unjustifiable ... in my humble opinion.
Old 11-22-12, 10:11 AM
RXSF

True. Plus I feel like other brands actually have cheaper services than Lexus. Of course you have free maintenance for 4 years on new BMWs. And then for Mercedes, I find that they offer much better coupons than Lexus, plus different dealerships will match the coupons of other Benz dealerships. Their service intervals are also 10 thousand miles instead of 5 thousand, and it goes from minor one year to major one year and switch back and forth. A minor one will set you back about $250 and a major one about $400 before the coupons. If you go in twice a year on a Lexus, that will exceed these prices
Old 11-22-12, 03:28 PM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

2 Cruiter:

Clarifying my post: I do not own an RX450h. I am considering getting one very soon, and I just had to pick an RX450h as a car I own when creating my account since the system didn't seem to let me register until I picked at least some car I allegedly own. RX450h will be my first vehicle.

2 everyone:

Thank you all for your input! It appears that your comments match the overall information about RX450h I have as of this point.

Does anyone have anything to say regarding purchasing extended warranty on hybrid parts / 10-year warranty in CA/MA/other "green" states? I am just trying to plan ahead what I could do in order not to get into trouble in case hybrid battery fails at some point down the road.

I tried doing an online research on 10-year/150,000-mile coverage for hybrid parts: It is clearly stated on, say, Toyota Prius website that this warranty does apply for vehicles purchased and registered in the states that adopted California Emission Control standards (California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont). However, there is nothing said in RX450h Warranty and Services Guide about 10-year warranty on hybrid components. In fact, there is just a mentioning that a "regular", 8-year/100,000-mile warranty applies, which I find odd, as I was certain that extended warranty on hybrid components in those states is imposed by law, and thus does not depend on hybrid vehicle make. On the other hand, I found that Lexus website is not always updated in a timely manner (videos for 2013 RX450h show 2012 RX350), which could be a reason for this discrepancy. It would be really helpful if someone knew anything beyond what is said in Warranty and Services Guide.

Last edited by kreozZ; 11-22-12 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 11-22-12, 04:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kreozZ, welcome to CL. I'll add my comments about hesitation. When I first looked at the 450h, I noticed an ever so slight pause when accelerating from a start. It wasn't overly concerning, just different than what I was used to. Now I don't even think about it. The 450h changes your driving style. Now that I'm off eco mode, I tend to be on the spirited side. It's hard to resist. The 450h has 295 HP, 25 more than the 350. Power is not a problem. In fact I've spanked a few unsuspecting cars

My only complaint about the 450h, lack of heat in the winter. I'm a city driver for the most part with frequent stops. The engine shuts off when idling and consequently doesn't warm up the engine quickly. Sometimes the heat isn't enough for me during my eight mile commute. I like to broil. But I found the the best way to get around it is to use remote start with eco mode off and heated seats on. A warm engine also helps the gas mileage. It does suffer a bit in the colder months. Still it's nowhere near the numbers on my 330.

Two weeks ago I came back from a week-long trip. The 450h started up just fine. It's when you get closer to a month that you may encounter a problem. The manual recommends starting the 450h at least once if the 450h is idle for 30 days. A trickle charger might not be easy to use since the battery is located in the cargo area.

The warranty on the hybrid battery is pretty liberal. I wouldn't be too concerned about extending it (if that's even possible) unless you plan to keep the 450h for 10 or more years. By then, the replacement cost will be less. It's been dropping over the years. Personally I haven't heard of any failures of the hybrid system in the 450h. I'm pretty confident it can go well above and beyond the warranty period.

Last edited by kitlz; 11-22-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 04:58 PM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

I am planning to keep the car for at least 8 years, and with an average mileage of 15,000 miles per year, a "regular" warranty on hybrid components will run out in about 6 years. I am not questioning Lexus quality, but rather trying to anticipate possible problems early on. Since I live in MA, 10-year/150,000 warranty on hybrid parts would be something to solve all my concerns at this point.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-25-12, 07:43 PM
kreozZ
Driver School Candidate

Hypothetically speaking, what could be the best way to figure out the thing about 8-year warranty versus 10-year warranty in some states? Since there isn't anything solid available online to back up an assumption that, say, in MA hybrid components' warranty has to be 10 years/150,000 miles as opposed to a standard 8-year/100,000 mile warranty, and I don't really expect dealers to be well educated on this matter either, would you say my best bet is to call Lexus directly and ask them what the actual situation is?

If anyone has any ideas that could be of help with this respect, your help will be greatly appreciated.