Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Amount of time before you can use EV mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 05:31 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amount of time before you can use EV mode

It's seems to be about 8-10 minutes to me from starting my car to having the car allow me to enable EV mode. Seems slightly less if I just shut get done driving it and then get back in and restart. Any rhyme to the vehicle's algorithm?
Old 11-15-12, 11:53 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

It will vary by climate & region, but typically the ICE has to reach normal operating temperature before you can engage EV mode. Check your temp guage, it normally needs to be at the half way mark in order for EV to kick in.
Old 11-15-12, 05:59 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socalJD
It will vary by climate & region, but typically the ICE has to reach normal operating temperature before you can engage EV mode. Check your temp guage, it normally needs to be at the half way mark in order for EV to kick in.
Sorry but what is ICE?
Old 11-15-12, 06:32 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f152tall
Sorry but what is ICE?
I think he means Internal Combustion Engine!
Old 11-16-12, 08:01 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you shut the HVAC off, the ICE will run less after it and the CAT converter have reached operating temperature.
Old 11-16-12, 11:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it has to do with engine temp and not time of having the car started. I believe you need the temp needle to be very near the middle, but maybe a tick below it will allow you.
Old 11-18-12, 07:39 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
it has to do with engine temp and not time of having the car started. I believe you need the temp needle to be very near the middle, but maybe a tick below it will allow you.
Gotcha! Thanks
Old 11-24-12, 05:05 AM
ErnestHous
Driver School Candidate

According to the Lexus website: "Under certain conditions, the RX 450h can be operated in EV mode where it can function on battery power alone—a particularly useful feature when driving in residential areas at night and in enclosed areas like parking garages."

Apparently that would only be upon arriving to a parking garage. Bummer. 50% of my trips are within the range of an all electric EV mode.
Old 11-27-12, 02:43 PM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

I have not been able to activate my EV mode unless i have driven at least 30 miles on the highway,
Looking for the next upgrade that would work with a cold engine as my normal daily driving distance is about one mile, Maybe somday........................
But I am enjoying the car as it is now.
cheers
Mike
Old 11-27-12, 04:17 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is none
Old 12-09-14, 12:08 PM
surndogg
Driver School Candidate

Default rx450h issues

Hello all,
By way of introduction my name is David and like the rest of you, I have an RX450h with the exact same problem. I have been in touch with Lexus on a number of occasions and they have been less than helpful. My car has been serviced by Lexus and according to the techs at Lexus, the EV mode is operating properly but, and I quote from the head foreman at Lexus, that the EV mode is "utterly worthless".
When I bought my Lexus, from Lexus I was told how great a feature the EV mode is, since I live in Los Angeles with such bad traffic I could save a fortune on gas by simply switching it to EV mode. I have yet to find that to be the case. Like the rest of you, the circumstances by which the EV mode needs to be in to operate at all, render it to be a useless feature. To date, I have never been able to get it t work for more than 10-15 seconds and have made a series of videos to show as such. These videos can be found on Youtube.
As per my second call with Gina at Lexus yesterday, the EV mode is not for sitting in traffic but for "parking".
I don't know about the rest of you but when I was buying my car, the EV mode was the feature that sold me on the car and the reason I bought the car.
I have since retained a lawyer to begin the steps for a class action lawsuit against Lexus and would love to have anyone else that feels like they were deceived by Lexus to join the lawsuit.
You can reach me via email at david@solidmusic.net and I can fill you in on the steps that need to be taken to further the progress of our complaints and the suit against Lexus.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with some of you, if not all of you.

Regards,
David

Last edited by surndogg; 12-15-14 at 02:42 PM. Reason: TMI
Old 12-09-14, 02:15 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surndogg
Hello all,
By way of introduction my name is David Surnow and like the rest of you, I have an RX450h with the exact same problem. I have been in touch with Lexus on a number of occasions and they have been less than helpful. My car has been serviced by Lexus and according to the techs at Lexus, the EV mode is operating properly but, and I quote from the head foreman at Lexus, that the EV mode is "utterly worthless".
When I bought my Lexus, from Lexus I was told how great a feature the EV mode is, since I live in Los Angeles with such bad traffic I could save a fortune on gas by simply switching it to EV mode. I have yet to find that to be the case. Like the rest of you, the circumstances by which the EV mode needs to be in to operate at all, render it to be a useless feature. To date, I have never been able to get it t work for more than 10-15 seconds and have made a series of videos to show as such. These videos can be found on Youtube.
As per my second call with Gina at Lexus yesterday, the EV mode is not for sitting in traffic but for "parking".
I don't know about the rest of you but when I was buying my car, the EV mode was the feature that sold me on the car and the reason I bought the car.
I have since retained a lawyer to begin the steps for a class action lawsuit against Lexus and would love to have anyone else that feels like they were deceived by Lexus to join the lawsuit.
You can reach me via email at david@solidmusic.net or by phone at 213-610-1065 and I can fill you in on the steps that need to be taken to further the progress of our complaints and the suit against Lexus.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with some of you, if not all of you.

Regards,
David Surnow
First of all I believe that you are a bit confused over what mode to use. Most hybrid owners including myself use ECO mode while in stop and go traffic and not EV mode. I have never enabled EV mode. Usually it is used for parking when travel distance is short and your speed is less then 25 mph.

Last edited by VVRX; 12-09-14 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-09-14, 02:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I never use EV mode. Like VVRX said you can do the very same thing just by being very light on the throttle. On level roads if the traction batteries are fully charged I can go 3-5 miles on the traction batteries staying below 40mph and being very easy on the throttle. 38 or so and they'll deplete faster. 20 to 25 will get you further. It does take practice. Even in EV mode if you give it sudden gas it will go off and you're in normal operating mode.
Hello all,
By way of introduction my name is David Surnow and like the rest of you, I have an RX450h with the exact same problem. I have been in touch with Lexus on a number of occasions and they have been less than helpful. My car has been serviced by Lexus and according to the techs at Lexus, the EV mode is operating properly but, and I quote from the head foreman at Lexus, that the EV mode is "utterly worthless".
You can reach me via email at david@solidmusic.net or by phone at 213-610-1065[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]213-610-1065 and I can fill you in on the steps that need to be taken to further the progress of our complaints and the suit against Lexus.

Regards,
David Surnow
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
Old 12-09-14, 05:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah I think either you misunderstood the salesman or the salesman fed you some bologna about EV mode. This is not an electric car. EV mode was designed to work in limited situations, up to going 25mph, and only when there is sufficient battery charge. The computer will never let the battery deplete too much and if it senses you want too much acceleration, will automatically disengage EV mode.

I turn it on occasionally. If I see that I have full battery charge, all bars full, then I will engage it if the next few blocks are stop and go traffic, or heavy on traffic lights.
Old 12-09-14, 07:37 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know how that works out for you.

Quick Reply: Amount of time before you can use EV mode