Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h possibly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy

Old 10-30-12, 01:12 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h possibly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy

My 2010 450h was parked in my condo lot with 7 other cars when Sandy arrived. At the peak of the storm, the lot was flooded as is the rest of the neighborhood with water up past the wheels of all the vehicles. When the car was in that state, the alarm went off for a while and then the interior lights came on by itself and stayed on for a long time.

A few hours later after the water has receded completely I notice the backup white lights on the tailgate stayed on. The car responds to my unlocking from the remote but locking causes it to emit a steady beep like when you try to lock the doors and one of the doors is not fully closed. There is no way to lock it except to press the door button manually.

Inspecting the inside I see the carpet and foor mats all wet from and back and see yellow stains by the door jambs. The air inside smells like something burnt and I am sure water went in thru the hybrid battery vents underneath the rear seats

I pushed the start button and the car starts and gauges light up but all the service lights came on and the LCD display behind the steering wheel says to check hybrid system, AWD, steering system, etc... almost all the systems. I quickly pushed the start button again to turn off.

Now I think the hybrid battery has short-circuited. I didnt attempt to put it in drive. Any chances my car would be back to normal after letting it dry for a few days or is it totalled/severely damaged?

Also does insurance cover this type of stuff?

Thanks all. Last night was quite an ordeal. BTW I live in Brooklyn, NY.
Old 10-30-12, 01:18 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh my. Sorry to read this about your RX. Hope everything works for you with it!
Old 10-30-12, 01:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd 1st call the dealer to have it towed in for inspection and advisement, then I'd call your insurance company to let them know it's inoperable and being towed in. Cover your self that way. Under no circumstances would I attempt to start it, the traction battery is probably shot along with some other systems and could cause further damage.
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy
My 2010 450h was parked in my condo lot with 7 other cars when Sandy arrived. At the peak of the storm, the lot was flooded as is the rest of the neighborhood with water up past the wheels of all the vehicles. When the car was in that state, the alarm went off for a while and then the interior lights came on by itself and stayed on for a long time.

A few hours later after the water has receded completely I notice the backup white lights on the tailgate stayed on. The car responds to my unlocking from the remote but locking causes it to emit a steady beep like when you try to lock the doors and one of the doors is not fully closed. There is no way to lock it except to press the door button manually.

Inspecting the inside I see the carpet and foor mats all wet from and back and see yellow stains by the door jambs. The air inside smells like something burnt and I am sure water went in thru the hybrid battery vents underneath the rear seats

I pushed the start button and the car starts and gauges light up but all the service lights came on and the LCD display behind the steering wheel says to check hybrid system, AWD, steering system, etc... almost all the systems. I quickly pushed the start button again to turn off.

Now I think the hybrid battery has short-circuited. I didnt attempt to put it in drive. Any chances my car would be back to normal after letting it dry for a few days or is it totalled/severely damaged?

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-30-12 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-12, 04:17 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2010 450h was parked in my condo lot with 7 other cars when Sandy arrived. At the peak of the storm, the lot was flooded as is the rest of the neighborhood with water up past the wheels of all the vehicles. ...

Comprehensive does cover this type of damage, so if you have full coverage you will pay your deductible only.
Get it to the dealer and they will call insurance Co.
Old 10-30-12, 04:37 PM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by m1964
Comprehensive does cover this type of damage, so if you have full coverage you will pay your deductible only.
Get it to the dealer and they will call insurance Co.
I just checked my Geico policy and my comprehensive coverage does cover floods. My deductible is $1000.

Does this mean that if I pay Geico $1000, i either

1) get a new car of the same model
2) get a check for the value of the car

What usually happens. I have never claimed something like this before.

Also, should I call Geico now or call delaership service dept first.
Old 10-30-12, 08:17 PM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

I just checked my Geico policy and my comprehensive coverage does cover floods. My deductible is $1000.

The insurance company will check the situation of your car. If it not worth to repair, they will give you one new car of same model or you can choose get agree value cheque in straight way.
Old 10-30-12, 08:33 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Man that sucks! Hope everything works out for the best. Keep us posted.
Old 10-30-12, 08:53 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get to the dealer, then call Geico and tell them what happen and where the RX is-it will take the dealer few days to get an estimate what it will cost to repair the RX.

I believe if the cost of repair is >75% of value of the car, you get a check.
If you can post back here what is repair estimate-will be usefull for future Hybrid buyers.
Old 10-31-12, 07:46 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by m1964
Get to the dealer, then call Geico and tell them what happen and where the RX is-it will take the dealer few days to get an estimate what it will cost to repair the RX.

I believe if the cost of repair is >75% of value of the car, you get a check.
If you can post back here what is repair estimate-will be usefull for future Hybrid buyers.
Will it be a check for the current value of the car or a check big enough to buy the same car again brand new from the dealership of the same model but of the latest year?
Old 10-31-12, 08:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ziggyziggy, sorry to hear about your 450h. I have a feeling if Geico totals it, the check will cover the current value of your RX. It would pay for a good chunk on a new one. Let's hope they do that so you have no worries down the line.
Old 10-31-12, 11:25 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck, sir! I hope you have GAP insurance, just in case!
Old 10-31-12, 11:33 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your RX. Hopefully insurance will consider the vehicle totaled. Otherwise no telling how many problems related to the flooding may crop up in the future.
Old 10-31-12, 11:35 AM
ziggyziggy
Driver

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Good luck, sir! I hope you have GAP insurance, just in case!
what is GAP?
Old 10-31-12, 11:55 AM
Str8Six
Driver School Candidate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAP_Insurance
Its covers the remaining owed on the vehicle were the insurance covers what's been paid.
Old 10-31-12, 01:16 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car.
If the insurance company determine that your car is beyond repair, they will pay you to whatever is the current value of the car. I have a friend who had a brand new car (maybe one week old) and he ran over a black angus cow. The car was totaled and the insurance gave him the same car and its brand new. I hope you get the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX450h possibly destroyed by Hurricane Sandy