Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Why not a GS450H?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 12:02 AM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
BMW similarly followed with an ActiveHybrid 7.
Once again, the electric motors are small, and only focused on economy by providing an additional 20 bhp only to the 4.4 L V8 turbo with 17 mpg city and 26 mpg highway.
However, the 4.4 V8 turbo hybrid Lion does 0-60 in just 4.7 seconds!

By comparison, the LS600hL 5.0 V8 hybrid NiMH does 19 mpg city and 23 mpg highway, with 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.
In this tier, the LS hybrid neither has great performance, nor great economy, but it leans more towards performance than economy.
The S400 3.5 V6 hybrid really leans towards economy.
The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 probably has the best of both worlds.
The exact reason I picked BMW ActiveHybrid 7 over LS600hL, instant tq from the more advanced Li-ion battery is just too addicting. On top of the V8 twin turbo engine, 155 pound-feet of torque from electric motor is everywhere when step at the throttle and at WOT it is like 3rd turbo or 50 shot of NOS. Hope Lexus will step up with their version of real hybrid performance soon (ex. LF-LC).
Old 10-28-12, 04:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

But doesn't the first gen AH7 (yours ) have a very small boot and poor fuel economy as a result? Not to say that the LS600hL doesn't also have a small boot and middling fuel economy but it has first gen Lexus hybrid tech only.

Which was why the second gen AH7 went with a turbo inline 6 engine instead? To focus on the fuel economy rather than the performance aspect. Seems like your first gen AH7 is an aberration in BMW's lineup, the future direction of BMW hybrid tech also is towards economy rather than performance.

Right now, the more complete hybrid solutions seem to be the BMW AH3 with its great fuel economy and huge boot space (with pass-through) and the new GS450h( based on the 4th Gen GS) which has beaten both Infiniti M35h and Panamera hybrid in Motortrend's head to head comparison and the AH5 in Autobild latest comparo.

I read that BMW engineered the new 3 series from ground-up to work with the hybrid drivetrain which is why it is not as compromised ergonomically as the AH5 and AH7 while Lexus has had one generation to work out the kinks for the second gen (current GS450h) based on the 4GS and has also introduced the second gen Lexus hybrid tech with Atkinson cycle engine, as a result increasing both ergonomics and fuel efficiency of the GS hybrid.
Old 10-28-12, 07:52 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ayu910
The exact reason I picked BMW ActiveHybrid 7 over LS600hL, instant tq from the more advanced Li-ion battery is just too addicting.
This thread just keeps amazing me.
Old 10-28-12, 10:16 PM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natnut
But doesn't the first gen AH7 (yours ) have a very small boot and poor fuel economy as a result? Not to say that the LS600hL doesn't also have a small boot and middling fuel economy but it has first gen Lexus hybrid tech only.

Which was why the second gen AH7 went with a turbo inline 6 engine instead? To focus on the fuel economy rather than the performance aspect. Seems like your first gen AH7 is an aberration in BMW's lineup, the future direction of BMW hybrid tech also is towards economy rather than performance.
AH7 switch from V8TT (750iAH) to I6TT(740iAH) mainly due to cost not b/c of fuel economy. All manufacture are moving forward with Li-ion battery for better weight, quicker charging/discharging, and less memory effect.

Hybrid will have two market, performance (Lexus LF-LC, Acura NSX, BMW i8, Porsche 918, etc) and rest of other for fuel economy or little mix of both. Due to limitation of Ni-mh battery, LS600hL have no choice but to focus on fuel economy with minor boost on power. For performance, use of Li-ion is a must to enable fast discharge of current which transfer to instant tq delivery. Very much looking forward to to LF-LC that showcase performance hybrid with Li-ion battery by Lexus.
Old 01-28-24, 01:22 AM
Khama
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LexFather
Agreed. The GS 450h debuted a worlds first dual planetary CVT system and does use a regenerative braking system. While Lexus and others might "say" the hybrid parts slow the car down I think its mostly b.s. I replaced my front pads right around 60k and I also now have a full 6pot/4pot Jun BBK system and I notice no difference in the hybrid powertrain, there is no extra energy stored and nothing less.

Most of the braking is done by the brakes. Even the stock GS 450h uses a huge 4 pot caliper up front. This is no Prius.

It can be frustrating sometimes to us hybrid owners who are the first to buy and modify these cars. People still don't have a clue about them. I was at Nurotag this weekend and the 2 people that drove my car sat in the car for 5 minutes until I walked back. They asked "hey the car isn't on" when it was, it just was on battery power. I still get asked "do you plug it in" and all sorts of questions I honestly think someone would know by now. But most are not enthusiasts so its cool to educate the masses when possible.

Funny, Lexus hybrids have been around since 2006 and most still have no clue about them.

Neurocity owns a 450h, as do I. We kind of know how they work
Oh Yeah Looking good mate! I'm picking mine up on Wednesday coming. Just getting Ceramic coating on paint, detail and service. I'm chomping at the bit to get in it. I Like the wheels on your ride mate! Who makes them and the model please. They look sick!!