Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Why not a GS450H?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 05:06 PM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

natnut -
Your 0-260 video is for the previous GS 450h which was much faster.
The 2013 GS 450h has fallen short of the GS 350 in 0-60 in all professional reviews I have read.
I have driven both and the seat of the pants feeling is indiscernible, though the sound generator in the GS 350 gives the impression it's a bit quicker.
Old 10-01-12, 10:03 AM
jacksonlui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris8152
We don’t get a lot of choice here in the UK, its either the GS 450h or the 250 petrol, but we do get the f sport.
[IMG][/IMG]
What color is that? it's nice. It would be a difficult choice between this and platinum.
I didn't know the maintenance would be less in a hybrid. that's a definitely plus for me. between being more quiet and more low end torque where most of us drive and feel, i guess you're right that it's a no brainer if the 10k difference can be captured during the life of the car.
Old 10-01-12, 10:25 AM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably a bit faster but i love gasoline engine and cant stand looking at the rev tach staying at redline and watching the speed climb with no shifting its like driving a moped in vietnam
Old 10-01-12, 11:02 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Jacksonlui The colour is Nebula Grey I think it looks lighter because of the direct sunlight
Old 10-01-12, 11:11 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gkcmilner
natnut -
Your 0-260 video is for the previous GS 450h which was much faster.
The 2013 GS 450h has fallen short of the GS 350 in 0-60 in all professional reviews I have read.
I have driven both and the seat of the pants feeling is indiscernible, though the sound generator in the GS 350 gives the impression it's a bit quicker.
True, the older 3rd gen GSh is faster than the new one. The new one gets better MPG though.

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is less maintenance on a hybrid, not more... significantly less.

as to the resale, it should lose less value not more... you were comparing $120k car to $70k with LS.
It loses its value pretty well here in the US. People use the hi cost of part replacement and mileage as an excuse to diminish the value of the car.

AS far as maintenance, the brakes, the engine, suspension, are the same. Transmission is the only mechanical difference. Your brakes will wear faster since its stopping much more weight.
Old 10-01-12, 11:23 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Lexus debuted the GS 450h the same time as the GS 350 I probably could have convinced the boss to get one. Alas we wanted to be among the first with the 4GS so the 450h wasn't an option.
Old 10-01-12, 02:47 PM
steilkurve
Rookie

Got a 350 Luxury AWD. Only thing that kept me from going Hybrid is lack of AWD on that model. Otherwise, I would have. Not a huge AWD drive but live in colder climates so necessary.
Old 10-01-12, 08:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
It loses its value pretty well here in the US. People use the hi cost of part replacement and mileage as an excuse to diminish the value of the car.

AS far as maintenance, the brakes, the engine, suspension, are the same. Transmission is the only mechanical difference. Your brakes will wear faster since its stopping much more weight.

what hi cost part replacement?

Brakes are not the same, engine is not the same, most of the powertain is not the same.
In fact, GS450h uses electric motors to stop most of the time, thus prolonging the life of brakes exponentially as they are not used often anymore (only during emergency braking or coming to full stop).

Engine is also often turned off, prolonging its life... all of the parts are electric (water pump, a/c, etc), and higher quality/longer life.

You need to check on hybrid boards how well their cars hold up over 200,000/300,000 miles and how little maintainance is needed.
Old 10-02-12, 10:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP:

It depends on you:

With the hybrid, you get more low-end torque (where it kicks in earlier due to the advantage of electric batteries).

However, there are some penalties and one penalty is that you lose a bit of rear cargo space (since the batteries are stored there).

For the current 4GS, AWD is not available atm for the GS450h so if you're living in areas with lots of ice and snow, a GS350 AWD would be more appropriate for you. F-sport is not available for GS450h buyers in North America.

If you value silence, especially 25 mph/40 kmh village drives, then perhaps the GS450h may be more appropriate for you.

In the end: It's all up to you.

P.S.
In my case though (for the 4GS), between the 350 and the 450h, I'd choose the GS350...........for many reasons but one being that I like to hear the engine ignition sequence when starting any automobile. In a hybrid, it's all silent at start-up because engine only kicks in past 40 kmh/25 mph

Two cents
Old 10-02-12, 11:19 AM
jacksonlui
Rookie

thanks for all the replies.
after hearing varying opinions i'm leaning towards the 450H next year. I don't mind spending the extra 10k as long as it buys me something i want. More quiet, more low end torque, better gas mileage, the coolness factor are all nice things to have, possibly lower maintenance although there has been conflicting reports in regard to that on this thread. I don't care about hearing the engine noise and not so much the trunk space. it's nice to have when i goto the airporto need to haul two golf bags but those instances are few and far in between. I can always use the RX350 for that. Thanks. My time frame is sometime next year. I was waiting for some new developments, mid year face lift, options etc... i know we will always wait for the next best thing. my G35 is maintenance free, I'm just a bit greedy.
Old 10-02-12, 03:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
thanks for all the replies.
after hearing varying opinions i'm leaning towards the 450H next year. I don't mind spending the extra 10k as long as it buys me something i want. More quiet, more low end torque, better gas mileage, the coolness factor are all nice things to have, possibly lower maintenance although there has been conflicting reports in regard to that on this thread. I don't care about hearing the engine noise and not so much the trunk space. it's nice to have when i goto the airporto need to haul two golf bags but those instances are few and far in between. I can always use the RX350 for that. Thanks. My time frame is sometime next year. I was waiting for some new developments, mid year face lift, options etc... i know we will always wait for the next best thing. my G35 is maintenance free, I'm just a bit greedy.
hybrids are extra cool factor... i would go out of my way to get a hybrid... When I was buying 3GS 350, i couldnt get 450h because of tiny trunk... now in 4GS trunk is big.

350 is a good engine too.. just not as cool as hybrid.
Old 10-02-12, 07:03 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for the lower maintenance on the brakes comment above. While a lot of the "maintenance" questions are debatable (engine is used less but it starts/stops a lot more which can cause wear, battery, CVT vs Auto, etc)... I think the brakes maintenance answer is a relatively definitive "There is less brake maintenance on a hybrid" because of the regenerative braking and less usage of the discs/calipers in general.

For me the deal breaker was I don't drive much (10-15K a year... so like 6-9000 miles a year), the trunk is smaller (one kid and another on the way, need room for strollers and their stuff), and our other car (EX35) is tiny for storage. On top of that, I have the F-Sport, and as all the NA folk know, there is no F-Sport GS450h option here.

On a related note, was driving somewhat aggressively today (no family in the car) and I wished I had a V8 on the highway. This is a big deal coming from me, someone who has lived with smaller engines his whole life . It'll pass, but it would have been nice to have some low end power when overtaking on the highway.
Old 10-02-12, 08:42 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

get the 450H...
Old 10-03-12, 10:19 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

what hi cost part replacement?
Traction Battery is anywhere from $3-4K just for the battery, labor for install at Lexus is another $2-5K. Inverter is almost $2-3k. Dealership purchasers are using those numbers to lower the trade in price and purchase price at auctions.

Brakes are not the same, engine is not the same, most of the powertain is not the same.
In fact, GS450h uses electric motors to stop most of the time, thus prolonging the life of brakes exponentially as they are not used often anymore (only during emergency braking or coming to full stop).
The engine is on the new 4th gen is an Atkinson cycle, so correct, it is not the same in respect to the 3rd gen or the 4th gen GS350. The engine in the 3rd GS is the same as the engine in a IS350 and GS350. Minus computer changes and injectors.

You think the Aisin transmission (electric motors) is/are what is slowing the car down to a stop?

"In fact"... it does not. When the brakes are depressed a sensor tells the charging motor to use the rotation of the EM to charge the battery. Since it is not being used to make forward momentum power at that moment. The brakes slow the car down. The EM just uses the energy (normally wasted) to make power to the battery. Now there is a slowing effect from the rotational mass being used only to charge, but nothing in the way of slowing the car down noticeably.
Not sure on the 4th gen but the brakes on my 3GS are EXACTLY THE SAME as a GS350 and 460. But because the car has extra battery weight, inverter weight, and a significantly heavier transmission. The pads wear out faster than they would on a normal GS350/460 at least on my 450h

Engine is also often turned off, prolonging its life... all of the parts are electric (water pump, a/c, etc), and higher quality/longer life.
Starting and stopping of a reciprocating engine does wear it down some. But again, I wasn't referring to those parts as being high cost. Anyone who ACTUALLY OWNS a 450h knows what the high dollar parts are.

You need to check on hybrid boards how well their cars hold up over 200,000/300,000 miles and how little maintenance is needed.
No... you need to check on how the 450h actually works. Your posting about the hybrid drive being the mechanism that stops the car proves you have no clue.
I own one.

Last edited by neurocity; 10-03-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-04-12, 10:47 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

There must be something different about your 450h. Regenerative braking usually does most of the slowing down of the hybrid vehicle at higher speed. The actual normal friction based braking are programmed to take over when the vehicle is slow enough that regen braking is no longer effective. (That is why some earlier hybrids had grabby brakes feel during the transition). Unless the posts in hybrid forums are lies, hybrid taxis are said to go 100K miles/km with minimal brake wears.
I have been driving an 2010 RXh for a year now, and I have seen no brake dust whatsoever on the wheels. Now compare that to to my previous IS350 which blackened the front wheels a few weeks after cleaning. To me, that indicated very little wear of the brakes.

All of the expensive hybrid components are under Lexus warranty for 8 years/100000 miles, so I think it's should be more than enough for most car buyers who don't keep cars more than 4 years or 80K miles.

Originally Posted by neurocity
Traction Battery is anywhere from $3-4K just for the battery, labor for install at Lexus is another $2-5K. Inverter is almost $2-3k. Dealership purchasers are using those numbers to lower the trade in price and purchase price at auctions.

The engine is on the new 4th gen is an Atkinson cycle, so correct, it is not the same in respect to the 3rd gen or the 4th gen GS350. The engine in the 3rd GS is the same as the engine in a IS350 and GS350. Minus computer changes and injectors.

You think the Aisin transmission (electric motors) is/are what is slowing the car down to a stop?

"In fact"... it does not. When the brakes are depressed a sensor tells the charging motor to use the rotation of the EM to charge the battery. Since it is not being used to make forward momentum power at that moment. The brakes slow the car down. The EM just uses the energy (normally wasted) to make power to the battery. Now there is a slowing effect from the rotational mass being used only to charge, but nothing in the way of slowing the car down noticeably.
Not sure on the 4th gen but the brakes on my 3GS are EXACTLY THE SAME as a GS350 and 460. But because the car has extra battery weight, inverter weight, and a significantly heavier transmission. The pads wear out faster than they would on a normal GS350/460 at least on my 450h

Starting and stopping of a reciprocating engine does wear it down some. But again, I wasn't referring to those parts as being high cost. Anyone who ACTUALLY OWNS a 450h knows what the high dollar parts are.

No... you need to check on how the 450h actually works. Your posting about the hybrid drive being the mechanism that stops the car proves you have no clue.
I own one.

Quick Reply: Why not a GS450H?