Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Vehicle Proximity Notification System

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 01:25 PM
MT5643
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vehicle Proximity Notification System

I purchased a 2013 RX450H last month and am finding the Vehicle Proximity Notification System (the noise it now makes to warn people when the car would normally run silently) to be extremely annoying. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was a car like noise, but this "spaceship" sound is just bizarre.

Does anyone else find it annoying or is it just me?

PS I absolutely love everything else about the car. Take out the VPNS and it's perfect.
Old 09-20-12, 04:22 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. When I was showing my daughter my new 450h she remarked "what is that noise?".

I don't really hear it when in the car with windows up but it was quite noticeable with the windows down and pulling forward in an otherwise quiet driveway.

There must be a plug one can disconnect somewhere under all the engine compartment panels.
Old 09-20-12, 06:38 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, it is annoying, but I honestly believe that is the whole point. It does sound like a UFO.

My general understanding (flames not appreciated if I'm slightly off in my generalization) is there is federal legislation of some sort requiring "electric" vehicles that have no sound at lower speeds, to produce a synthetic sound that increases in intensity as MPH does, to avoid accidents with people in parking lots, blind people, etc that would otherwise hear a normal vehicle moving, and could avoid being harmed... This is Toyota's implementation of the generated sound to respond to that requirement, first deployed on the Prius, now on our 2013 RX450h with no publicized fanfare that I'm aware of. I miss "stealth mode" on my 2006 RX400h, but just threw in the towel and accepted this new sound on my new ride given all that. Happily, my windows are up most of the time, so it's not that noticable for me. I suppose one may be able to figure out how to disconnect the sound, but given this is there for safety of others around me, I will keep it intact on mine, as I'd hate to be in an accident and it's then found I disconnected this feature and caused some problem to someone else or their property. We can all make our choices in that regard.
Old 09-20-12, 07:24 PM
MT5643
Driver School Candidate

Default Not the best implementation...

I totally understand the need for the noise. I've done some cycling where I relied on being able to hear the cars coming up behind me. I guess my problem is with the noise they chose. It just doesn't sound anything like a noise that a car would make.

I hear it the most when I'm pulling into the garage, but today I was driving slowly through a large parking lot and it was very evident and, frankly, made me feel kind of silly. I kept expecting people to look up into the sky for a flying saucer.

My wife says she doesn't hear it when she drives because she always has the windows up and the radio on.

I've read quite a lot about it in the Prius forums. There seems to be quite a number of people who agree with me about it being annoying and there are a number of posts explaining how to disconnect it. Some people are concerned about the liability disabling it may cause if they are in an accident. I'm looking into taking it back and getting a 2012 or a 2013 350. The 350 would be out of character for a "tree hugger" like me. It's very disappointing.

Wish they had told me about it before I made the purchase. It's partly my fault. We have a 2012 450H that we bought last December for my wife, so I didn't bother taking this one for a test drive.

Last edited by MT5643; 09-20-12 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-20-12, 10:18 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BertL
My general understanding (flames not appreciated if I'm slightly off in my generalization) is there is federal legislation of some sort requiring "electric" vehicles that have no sound at lower speeds.
Not quite, as far as I can tell - only an act (Source) requiring that the Secretary of Transportation study the issue and establish a standard. Here is the current rulemaking proposal.

I suppose Lexus / Toyota is just getting ahead of the game.

Last edited by mklemovitc; 09-20-12 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 05:17 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Marvin, thanks for the pointers to the real docs. Appreciate it. Amazing to me that this seems to have been going on for more than 5 years in our slow paced government system, but at least "rulemaking" (whatever that is as a next step) should have started by 7/4/2012 according to one of the docs.

Anyway, while I may be in the minority, I'm glad Toyota is trying to get out ahead of this. It's consistent with what I'd expect of a brand that markets themselves as the #1 hybrid seller around the globe. I'm sure once there is a law, some law-suit-happy individuals will begin to bring claims against Toyota for not having it on all the hybrids already in the market or may be in accidents after that law is passed. Recall/retrofit would be untenable for Toyota as well as more than 1M customers if it came to that. It seems Toyota and other companies sometimes can't win -- some people go after them when they don't anticipate needs, other folks may not like changes they proactively make. Oh well. Perhaps on the 4th gen, RXh owners (likely with the luxury package -- ah ha) will get to select their preferred proximity sound via their Nav screen from "original UFO", to barking dogs, an elephant trumpet, or even a rocket blast.
Old 09-21-12, 10:37 AM
MT5643
Driver School Candidate

Default YouTube video demonstrates noise

Here's a link to a YouTube video posted by Priuschat.com that demonstrates the VPNS. The sound is the same on the RX 450H....

Last edited by MT5643; 09-22-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-21-12, 12:50 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a link to a YouTube video posted by Priuschat.com that demonstrates the VPNS. The sounds is the same on the RX 450H....

That means 'WARNING', hover mode preparing to engage
Old 09-21-12, 06:22 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BertL
Marvin, thanks for the pointers to the real docs. Appreciate it. Amazing to me that this seems to have been going on for more than 5 years in our slow paced government system, but at least "rulemaking" (whatever that is as a next step) should have started by 7/4/2012 according to one of the docs.

Anyway, while I may be in the minority, I'm glad Toyota is trying to get out ahead of this. It's consistent with what I'd expect of a brand that markets themselves as the #1 hybrid seller around the globe. I'm sure once there is a law, some law-suit-happy individuals will begin to bring claims against Toyota for not having it on all the hybrids already in the market or may be in accidents after that law is passed. Recall/retrofit would be untenable for Toyota as well as more than 1M customers if it came to that. It seems Toyota and other companies sometimes can't win -- some people go after them when they don't anticipate needs, other folks may not like changes they proactively make. Oh well. Perhaps on the 4th gen, RXh owners (likely with the luxury package -- ah ha) will get to select their preferred proximity sound via their Nav screen from "original UFO", to barking dogs, an elephant trumpet, or even a rocket blast.
You're welcome Bert. Remember that "acts" of Congress are often unfunded mandates, thus the delays. Sometimes there's authorization without appropriation - always fun when you're in the agency that's subject to one of these acts.

I laughed out loud about the "4th gen" custom sounds. Perhaps ther'ell be an aftermarket add-on to allow one to choose from a whole menu of annoying sounds.
Old 09-22-12, 07:15 AM
MT5643
Driver School Candidate

Default Re:the legislation from Congress

Thanks to those who posted information about the legislation from Congress that made the VPNS a requirement. Now that I have read the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010, which was sponsored by Senator John Kerry of Mass. and signed by the President in January of 2011, it's clear the automobile manufacturers are in a bind.

Their challenge is to add noise to their hybrids and EVs based on research that identifies what can clearly be heard, which is not necessarily one that is pleasing to the ear. As Bert said earlier, my annoyance with the sound may be the point. The legislation even asked the Secretary of Transportation to study whether noises like this should be added to all motor vehicles.

So it seems, for now, hybrid drivers and manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

All I can say is I hope Lexus is able to experiment and come up with a noise that conforms with the law and yet, somehow, is not unpleasant to hear. I also hope that it satisfies the intent of the rule and creates a safer environment for pedestrians.

As I said in an earlier post, aside from the VPNS, I am thrilled with my 2013 RX 450H. It's our fourth Lexus hybrid and our seventh Lexus overall, which began with a 1990 LS400.

-Mick

Last edited by MT5643; 09-22-12 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-24-12, 07:13 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes you an official alien, better than the Audi A6 commercial.
Old 02-13-16, 07:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You forgot to add wake up the dead

Start checking fuses. I don't have it on my 2010.
Old 02-13-16, 07:38 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I just found this on the Prius Chat:

Off to the hunt.
Old 02-15-16, 07:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's right where the driver side fog light is at. I disconnected mine because it was quite annoying. The setup is exactly the same as the photo above.

I find the device useless anyways. Parking lots are too noisy for it to be heard and most people won't notice it unless I'm inches away from them.
The following users liked this post:
azfj60 (09-21-23)
Old 02-15-16, 10:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You can either get it by removing the fender liner, or go from underneath the bumper. I took the latter route and it was pretty tight but doable. If I had to do it again, I would probably remove the liner. It's better than having red marks on your arm.

No need for resistor. All I did was pull the plug and no warning lights appeared.
The following users liked this post:
azfj60 (09-21-23)