Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

What made you choose the 450h over the 350?

Old 09-20-12, 07:59 AM
ShermanMR2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What made you choose the 450h over the 350?

Hello guys
My question to you is what specifically made you choose to get the 450h over the 350? I really love the 450h but not sure if it's really worth the extra $$$. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 12-20-12, 06:16 PM
nantang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several reasons:

1. I am a techie, and I love leading edge technology. I believe that electric power is the long-term direction of car evolution, so I consider a hybrid or electric powerplant to be more evolved than a pure gasoline engine. I make this statement independently of my green tech premise coming up later. I think that in the long run, even people who deny global warming, love big trucks, and were beaten up by trees as children will favor electric power in a decade or two when electric cars cost no more than gas-powered counterparts do today, can go 1200 miles between charges, and even economy compacts go from zero to sixty in under six seconds. I like driving a car that is silent and smooth, but I didn't hold out for a gentler hybrid like the ES300h for reasons tobe detailed later.

2. I prefer greener technology and support green living. I believe it is possible to live better by going green, and that it should not feel like a compromise, but instead an improvement. The GS450h is marginally more powerful than its non-hybrid sibling, but still gets substantially better gas mileage, giving it a longer range between refueling. The CVT also gives it a smoother ride and slightly faster reflexes.

3. I acknowledge the price difference, but on my budget, I felt it was worth it. Half the price difference was covered in the cost of gas over an estimated 120,000 miles of driving, the same as my last car when I traded it in, assuming conservatively, $3 per gallon. (Will gas still be only $3 per gallon by 2017? Probably not.) Half the remaining difference was made up for in terms of features standard on the GS450h but not on the GS350; you only get Sport Plus mode on Luxury or F-Sport package models of the 350, but it's standard on the 450h. Same with some other nice conveniences, like my heated steering wheel, which has been great the last few weeks. That left a difference of about $3000. People routinely pay more than that for after-market upgrades to the engine, intakes, and other innards to get modest performance boosts.

4. I got the GS450h instead of a more subdued hybrid like the ES300h because I still wanted a performance-oriented luxury car, and the Redesigned GS line was holding its own and even beating the Mercedes E class and BMW 5 series in reviews, living up to and even surpassing expectation as I followed the development and release of the car. I knew a hybrid ES was just around the corner when I made my reservation on the GS, but I knew this was more the car for my personality. So, I reserved early and took delivery on one of the very first ones--and the first one in Texas, according to the dealership.

One tradeoff I have to point out is that due to the lower production of the GS450h in the U.S. compared to the GS350, there are less models from which to choose. None in the first round had the Luxury package with the upgraded bamboo steering wheel accents, all-LED triple-headlamps, and such. Only one had the PCS/radar cruise. To get it, I had to go with its color combination or pass on the first dibs and wait for months on end for the next rare PCS model to appear. Fortunately, black-on-black is a good-looking combination.
Old 12-23-12, 11:09 PM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Cole's Notes: I wanted a hybrid vehicle

The long version:

I just picked up my 450 h this week, taking advantage of the year-end deals that are being promoted by Lexus Canada. Accordingly, I was limited to what was already on the lot or could be on the lot in short order. The decision came down to (a) Nebula Grey Pearl 350 AWD F Sport vs (b) Starfire Pearl 450 h.

Several factors led me to decide in favour of the 450 h:

1. I wanted a hybrid vehicle

This one is obvious. That said, when I went into the dealership I was wooed by the 350 AWD F Sport that was sitting front and centre on the showroom floor. The pull was strong, but I knew that I would be kicking myself every time I stopped at the pump. The desire for a hybrid wasn't for economic reasons but, rather, for the ideal of using less gasoline. This point trumps all of the others that follow.

2. F Sport Package Is Relatively Slim on Goodies

In Canada we don't get as many bells and whistles with the F Sport package as in some other markets. For example, Canadian F Sport GS 350s cannot be optioned with the Mark Levinson stereo system or proximity sensors. The 450 h was very nicely optioned, while the F Sport was less-so.

3. Cool vs Classy Styling

The F Sport styling looked great to me when I first saw it, looks good to me now, and I suspect will look just alright to me in a year from now. The styling of the 450 h is more conservative than that of the F Sport and I think it will stand the test of time a little bit better as well.

4. AWD vs RWD

The 450 h is rear-wheel drive, whereas the 350 F Sport that I was eyeing was AWD. I have seen a couple of reviews in which the reviewers were less enamoured with the GS AWD than with the RWD variants. RWD is fun, and I haven't found it to be a problem in our snowy & icy winters. Good winter tires and sensible use of the throttle, brakes and engine braking go a long way.

The GS is an outstanding vehicle in any form. For me, ultimately the decision came down to hybrid vs non-hybrid. With some hybrid vehicles you know that you're committing yourself to a (driving) life of boredom in exchange for the lightness of conscience that comes with driving a hybrid. This is not the case with the 450h. It's still a fun car to drive. You're not giving that up.

What you are giving up is a far from insignificant amount of cash, though...

Last edited by zc1; 12-23-12 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 06:15 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides the obvious - economy and performance - You can't beat the look of the Bamboo. Hybrid pocket rocket really turns heads.
Old 12-24-12, 08:50 AM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Of note, the Canadian model has dark wood trim, not the light wood that I have seen in videos of the 450h in other markets.
Old 12-25-12, 04:41 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Three words: CVT
Old 12-25-12, 09:01 PM
coolshoaib
Driver School Candidate

Actually, that's just "Three letters"....... :-P but I hear ya!

Originally Posted by Modeler
Old 01-11-13, 02:45 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wouldn't get the 350 because I already have an IS350 so the power feels the same.... As for 450h - i went to check them out today and the bamboo is actually pretty nice and that could be one reason that I will pick 450h over 350. As for the driving feel... i am still not 100% sold on how hybrid feels but that is just me.
Old 01-22-13, 07:58 PM
zc1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Modeler
I didn't see the CVT as an advantage prior to owning this vehicle. Now, having put some miles on the car, I can't see myself choosing a traditional automatic over a CVT in the future (when the choice exists). It's excellent.
Old 01-23-13, 07:40 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by zc1
I didn't see the CVT as an advantage prior to owning this vehicle. Now, having put some miles on the car, I can't see myself choosing a traditional automatic over a CVT in the future (when the choice exists). It's excellent.
Lol I feel weird when driving my automatic GS cause I expect to hear nothing but a constant sound so I can understand what you mean.
Old 05-12-13, 06:06 AM
UTAS
Driver

Well, these posts are a bit dated from this January, but this is relevant. I had owned the ES300h luxury model from Nov of last year until yesterday, when I traded it in for a GS450h luxury model with a few bells and whistles.

As for the ES300h - My wife's car, actually, she is a petite lady who never felt comfortable in it, i.e., the seat height did not quite fit her and the pickup was not quite enough. Then one day, a maniac nearly hit her head-on (luckily didn't), and she had a concern about how well the car would handle a crash. Then she mentioned the 4-cylinders and this and that. In short, she developed a phobia of sorts - nothing serious, but it was expensive to fix. Ergo, the ES300h was traded in for the GS450h, and all I can say is everything is peaceful again in my domain.

I have to admit, the GS450h seems to be a true luxury sport vehicle and has a solid feel to it when compared to the ES300h. It is like sitting in a cocoon in comparison. My wife simply loves it. And I cannot deny that Lexus put a lot of good things into it.

As for the rear wheel drive, well, we were raised on rear wheel drive cars - no big deal for us, even in the snow belt area (snow isn't that big of deal anymore, what with global warming, etc., anyway). But the pickup is amazing - simply compare 200 horses on the 300h versus 338 horse on the 450h, and you can imagine the difference.

Well - that is all for now - the ES300h was a great car; but the GS450h is so much better. And all is well in Naperville. Cheers.
Old 12-04-20, 08:03 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

How is everyone enjoying their 450h now?
The following users liked this post:
BMP2CPM (05-13-21)
Old 12-07-20, 04:26 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine looks nice sitting in the driveway waiting for me to put like 20 miles on it this week. It gets washed once per week at least. The car is great though, so smooth to drive it seems.
Old 01-06-21, 12:07 AM
garyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I see the comparison between 450h and F-sport, why not both? (Obviously these posts were before they came out with 450h F-sport)