Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

It's a miracle!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 12:48 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default It's a miracle!

After driving an RX350 for 2 years, we got a new 450h a little over a week ago. We never thought we would ever have a hybrid. In fact, I'm embarrassed to note that I had done almost NO homework in preparing to buy this car. I've been reading comments on this forum from hybrid owners, and was slowly becoming more receptive to the technology, but I was in no way prepared to actually buy one. I honestly expected to come home with another 350.

Well, I'm surprised at the change in my thinking towards hybrids, and nothing short of floored by the change in my wife's new attraction to her car! No one would ever confused my lovely wife with a person who is at all impressed with cars. In fact, if you asked her what kind she drove, she might actually say "it's a white one"! However, we had it back at the dealer this week, and they gave us an RX350 as a loaner. After driving it for less than 2 days, my wife actually commented on how much she missed her hybrid! She likes to watch the energy and mileage screens, she loves the way the engine turns off when not needed, and she's mentioned several times that it's FASTER than her 350 was! She even agreed to use premium gasoline! Who IS this woman?!?! I would never have thought that a car would have such an impact! Next thing I know, she'll be reading the owner's manual! Nah. probably not. One major change at a time.

Seriously, though. I can't wait to take it into the mountains next week, when we go up for a short holiday. I thought the 2010 was possibly the best road car I've ever driven. This one might actually be a better driving car AND get better mileage!

Can you tell we like it? A LOT?
Old 09-12-12, 01:06 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As an early adopter that has loved his RX hybrids since 2005, your post put the biggest grin on my face. Thanks for that, and welcome to both you and your wife to our growing family of converts.
Old 09-12-12, 01:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Evolution

I learned to drive and got my 1st car in 1961. Loved the three in the tree and drove the rod & main bearings out of a 63 ford 6. Learned to change them .

Years and cars went by, did a stint in the Navy and by 1970 was in the car business and owned several cars of various descriptions and vintage including 8 years with Porsche & Audi. Never could fathom anything but 5 speed after that. Went back into the Navy and got our 1st Lexus shortly before retirement. But never thought I'd want to hybrid, (sissy car). Now I think and drive like your wife .
Originally Posted by BertL
As an early adopter that has loved his RX hybrids since 2005, your post put the biggest grin on my face. Thanks for that, and welcome to both you and your wife to our growing family of converts.
Old 09-12-12, 02:15 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the new hybrid.

You obviously made the right choice with the hybrid purchase. We feel the same way about ours, and my wife is a passenger 99% of the time. Many benefits to having a hybrid besides the better gas mileage, but the joy your wife has explains it all. We are always telling each other how much we love our hybrid, and looks like you will be doing the same.
Old 09-20-12, 11:00 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We took the new RX up to Steamboat Springs for a few days this week. While it was everything I had hoped for in terms of drivability, mileage, and utility, I was surprised to discover that it's actually FUN to drive a hybrid! The electronics (audio controls and apps) are much improved, and the hybrid specific screens are nothing short of entertaining to monitor. I couldn't help trying to manipulate the mileage and energy status. I'm struggling a bit with the CV transmission, but not from a performance standpoint. Although the 450 clearly out performs our RX350, I can't seem to get past the sound of not shifting gears. It sounds like the transmission is slipping, and the sense of acceleration feels a bit muted when you can't hear it going through the gears. That said, the RX450 is the new king of all the "road trip" cars I've had the privilege to drive. It is an even better, more enjoyable experience than the 350 we had. THIS is an awesome car!

Most of the driving we did on our trip was on mountain highways, although there were a lot of interstate miles and some local roads. We averaged over 32 MPG for the 450 mile trip, but as I said in my earlier post, mileage is only a side benefit, to me. Although it's fun to get the best mileage we can, the day to day drivability is what's important to me, as this car is my wife's daily driver. Based on what I've seen and experienced so far, I'm excited and I think we made a GREAT decision. I can't imagine being any more pleased with our choice!

I have also really enjoyed learning about the hybrid system, and how it works. The Atkinson Cycle engine (I had never even HEARD of it!) and the CV transmission are fascinating to me. I'm sort of a geek, and the technology used in this car has completely changed how I think about hybrids in general. Especially the Toyota system. I wish I could say I did all my homework and made an intelligent and information based decision, but honesty prevails. I had no idea.
Old 09-21-12, 04:53 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's always great to almost see the smiles on new owners with posts like this. Reminds me of my first few trips with my RX400h many years ago. ...and on getting used to that difference in sound, well, it's part of what each of us have gone through with our first hybrid. Soon, you'll wonder what all that NOISE is when you drive something else. Enjoy that ride!
Old 10-06-12, 04:08 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the happy hybrid owners club
After one year of driving my RXh, I am loving it even more now. Not sure if it's the mild fall temp we have in Toronto or the car is reaching its mileage sweet spot, I'm getting much better MPG (29) without even trying (I am now accelerating from stops in power range, no more sissy trying to stay in the green band ). The Sirius music on ML system is addictive.
It's just a great package delivered by Lexus, and you can't beat that feel good effect of not having to fuel up often.

Originally Posted by Woodrow
After driving an RX350 for 2 years, we got a new 450h a little over a week ago. We never thought we would ever have a hybrid. In fact, I'm embarrassed to note that I had done almost NO homework in preparing to buy this car. I've been reading comments on this forum from hybrid owners, and was slowly becoming more receptive to the technology, but I was in no way prepared to actually buy one. I honestly expected to come home with another 350.

Well, I'm surprised at the change in my thinking towards hybrids, and nothing short of floored by the change in my wife's new attraction to her car! No one would ever confused my lovely wife with a person who is at all impressed with cars. In fact, if you asked her what kind she drove, she might actually say "it's a white one"! However, we had it back at the dealer this week, and they gave us an RX350 as a loaner. After driving it for less than 2 days, my wife actually commented on how much she missed her hybrid! She likes to watch the energy and mileage screens, she loves the way the engine turns off when not needed, and she's mentioned several times that it's FASTER than her 350 was! She even agreed to use premium gasoline! Who IS this woman?!?! I would never have thought that a car would have such an impact! Next thing I know, she'll be reading the owner's manual! Nah. probably not. One major change at a time.

Seriously, though. I can't wait to take it into the mountains next week, when we go up for a short holiday. I thought the 2010 was possibly the best road car I've ever driven. This one might actually be a better driving car AND get better mileage!

Can you tell we like it? A LOT?
Old 11-27-12, 05:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Having recently traded our bullet proof 07 RXh for an F Sport, nothing beats the silky smooth and quiet acceleration and deceleration of the hybrid. Then add the entertaining fuel displays and you feel like you're playing a game always trying to "beat your score". If I had it my way, I'd want the front of the F Sport on the 450h. Lucky for the European folks who can get the best of both.