Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Getting 19.5MPG on my rx400h :( please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 05:41 AM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weighit
Don't reset that display for 4 or 5 tanks of fuel then take a photo of the overall mileage reading.
If I can maintain this driving technique Im sure I can still average over 32mpg. Over 3 tanks I've averaged 28mpg. one the 4th tank I drove the car aggressively to see how it would affect it. Overall MPG sank to 24 which still gave me over 400 miles on a tank. This is my 5th tank. I reset it for this one to try my new techniques.
Old 09-13-12, 01:22 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Only monkey wrench is, The RX is primarily my wife's car. When she drives, she kills the mileage. She dropped my overall 35mpg round trip DC to Maryland commute avg. down to 30.3mpg in just a few miles. I drove the D.C commute today and managed to get the overall back up to 33.5mpg now with 143 miles traveled on the tank. I think I can get it back to 35mpg avg if she doesn't drive. I'm teaching her some techniques, but she seems to have a heavy foot. Another bit of info, I'm using 87 octane regular unleaded. If I could just find some local non-ethanol laced fuel, MPG could increase by 5-10% overall.
Attached Thumbnails Getting 19.5MPG on my rx400h :( please help-img_20120913_154800.jpg  

Last edited by MeryLexmas; 09-13-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 03:14 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MeryLexmas
Only monkey wrench is, The RX is primarily my wife's car. When she drives, she kills the mileage. She dropped my overall 35mpg round trip DC to Maryland commute avg. down to 30.3mpg in just a few miles. I drove the D.C commute today and managed to get the overall back up to 33.5mpg now with 143 miles traveled on the tank. I think I can get it back to 35mpg avg if she doesn't drive. I'm teaching her some techniques, but she seems to have a heavy foot. Another bit of info, I'm using 87 octane regular unleaded. If I could just find some local non-ethanol laced fuel, MPG could increase by 5-10% overall.
pretty good..

i hope you are not holding back traffic trying to squeeze a mpg or two..
Old 09-13-12, 06:08 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
pretty good..

i hope you are not holding back traffic trying to squeeze a mpg or two..
I just keep my hazards on.

I've been traveling on rt. 295 where the speed limit is 55. I95 has a speed limit of 65, that would drop my mileage down to about a 29-31mpg avg. I'm usually a speed freak, but this RX has transformed me into some kind of mileage nut. I now drive like a granny. If you have the will power and patience, you can at least achieve the manufacture's MPG claims. One article stated that 600 miles per tank was possible. I'm aiming for at least 525+ on this tank. I'm at a good pace. I've gone 160miles and have gone through 1/8th of a tank. At this rate I should clear 200 miles on my 1st 1/4 tank. I can definitely get 100+ miles per quarter tank after the 1st 1/4. The last 1/4 tank seems to go the fastest and I usually only get about 75-90 miles out of it before the light comes on. If I can get 300 miles out of 1/2 a tank I think I'm good for the 500+. We'll see.
Old 09-13-12, 06:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If I could just find some local non-ethanol laced fuel, MPG could increase by 5-10% overall.
As has been posted several times of late in the forums, if there is any place you can find information where to go it would be found here:

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 09-13-12, 09:15 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
As has been posted several times of late in the forums, if there is any place you can find information where to go it would be found here:

http://pure-gas.org/
Yea, I went through that database a while back. Closest station is over an hour away. Just not practical.
Old 09-17-12, 05:41 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

With a little effort, I have gotten 503 miles out of my tank so far. MPG avg is 31.2 and the fuel light just came on. I would have done much better, but we got the windows tinted and couldn't roll them down for a couple days so A/C was on for most of the 2nd half of the tank. I actually had 355 miles at the 1/2 tank mark so the A/C really took its toll. Also a trip to West VA through the mountains didn't help. Big hill climbs. I can usually go an additional 40 miles once the fuel light comes on, but I'm not gonna push it. That would put me close to 550 miles on a single tank of 87 octane. An incredible feat for such a heavy and luxurious vehicle.

Maybe the claims that the 400h can go 600 miles on a single tank aren't so far fetched. With 93 octane and no A/C and the right conditions it definitely seems possible.
Attached Thumbnails Getting 19.5MPG on my rx400h :( please help-img_20120917_150539.jpg  
Old 09-18-12, 02:20 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

^^^ can you pump premium and report back? i want to know if it helps you or not...
Old 09-18-12, 10:52 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
^^^ can you pump premium and report back? i want to know if it helps you or not...
I filled up with premium last night. I ended up getting 541 miles from the tank. It took 17.8 gallons to fill it. I thought the tank was only 17.2 gallons? The gas pump may be optimistic, or the tank is larger than advertised. I must have been on fumes. I don't know If I can control my foot for another full tank. I've been running the A/C as well since it's been warm and rainy here. I didn't reset the consumption computer and it been steady at
31.3 - 31.5mpg even with the A/C and slightly heavier foot I've had. Ive gone about 100 miles and the fuel needle has not moved off of the "F" mark. Good sign.
Old 09-19-12, 01:08 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never been able to get more than 15 gallons in mine during a fill-up from empty, even with the fuel light on for 50 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Geemaan (07-09-21)
Old 09-19-12, 05:23 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Originally Posted by maseace
I've never been able to get more than 15 gallons in mine during a fill-up from empty, even with the fuel light on for 50 miles.
Hmmm. That's interesting. I filled up at a shell station. They could be ripping people off by recalibrating the pump to show more gallons pumped per dollar. That could add up big over time. For the price of one gallon the pumps could say you are getting 1 gallon, but in reality it is more like .7 of a gallon. Small enough to be hard to notice per gallon. Would make a good difference at 20 gallons.
Old 09-19-12, 08:23 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

You can certainly get 30mpg easily depend on how you drive. I had maintained a 27.2MPG on a 4 miles commute to work in stop & go traffic. It only last one week & I can't do it anymore. It went back to 23.1 MPG because I'm holding up traffic.

With a traffic light on every block, I only make 2~3 block each times in 27.2MPG mode. On the other hand in 23.1MPG mode, I can go 6~8 blocks depend on traffic. I feel bad to hold up others with only 2 block per green light.

Another issue was it extended my commute time from10~12 mins to 18~22 mins.

I glad you guys can do it 30MPG, but I think I'm happy with 23MPG with a 4000 lbs AWD SUV
Old 09-19-12, 09:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Hmmm. That's interesting. I filled up at a shell station. They could be ripping people off by recalibrating the pump to show more gallons pumped per dollar. That could add up big over time. For the price of one gallon the pumps could say you are getting 1 gallon, but in reality it is more like .7 of a gallon. Small enough to be hard to notice per gallon. Would make a good difference at 20 gallons.
Check the pump and look for a sticker to see when it was last inspected. If you feel a pump is short changing you, it can be reported to the appropriate department in your state.

I filled up with premium last night. I ended up getting 541 miles from the tank. It took 17.8 gallons to fill it. I thought the tank was only 17.2 gallons? The gas pump may be optimistic, or the tank is larger than advertised. I must have been on fumes. I don't know If I can control my foot for another full tank. I've been running the A/C as well since it's been warm and rainy here. I didn't reset the consumption computer and it been steady at
31.3 - 31.5mpg even with the A/C and slightly heavier foot I've had. Ive gone about 100 miles and the fuel needle has not moved off of the "F" mark. Good sign.
You are correct, the tank size is reported to be 17.2 gallons. Even if on fumes it would be hard to pump 16+ gallons let alone 17 unless you were running on electric with the tank and gas lines nearly dry. You would be pouring gas on the ground for quite some time at 17.8 gallons. This is one of those pumps which needs to be reported to the appropriate state agency.
Old 09-24-12, 06:26 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

I drove down to South Carolina this weekend. Well, I've been to 3 different gas stations down the east coast and each time I can pump in over 17.2 gallons. Now I do "top it off" to the point I can see fuel in the filler neck. I like to get in as much fuel as I can without spillage. So I'm guessing the tank must be >18 gallons. Unless the filler neck hold 1/2 a gallon. Also I don't think I'm running the fuel down that low. I would surly get some symptoms of running out of gas.

One another note, I was driving pretty aggressive going down to S.C. with extended stretches at over 90mph and a couple sprints to over 100mph. AVG mpg plummeted to 25.2mpg down from 32mpg. With the worst being 21mpg out of one tank where I only got 375 miles out of 17.5 gallons. This was all highway with some WOT (wide open throttle) action playing with an Acura TL Type-S who was surprised to see he could not outrun me on a couple open straights! At least until the 112mph speed governor kicked in. I saw the battery in the green more than I ever have before during this trip. It sure pulls harder with a green battery!
Old 09-24-12, 10:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I drove down to South Carolina this weekend. Well, I've been to 3 different gas stations down the east coast and each time I can pump in over 17.2 gallons. Now I do "top it off" to the point I can see fuel in the filler neck. I like to get in as much fuel as I can without spillage. So I'm guessing the tank must be >18 gallons. Unless the filler neck hold 1/2 a gallon. Also I don't think I'm running the fuel down that low. I would surly get some symptoms of running out of gas.
I was always taught this was a bad thing to do, overfilling the gas tank as you are doing, as you run the risk of damaging the EVAP system and especially the charcoal vapor canister.

Quick Reply: Getting 19.5MPG on my rx400h :( please help