Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Just picked up 2006 Lexus RX400h!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 08:37 PM
blubyu88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up 2006 Lexus RX400h!!

Hey Guys, I am new to this forum and also to the lexus family of cars, I recently traded my 06 Mercedes CLK 500 Convertible for something more practical and more room, so I ventured back to the SUV market and became intrigued with the RX400h, Anyway I picked up a 2006 Lexus RX 400h with 65k on it Pearl White exterior with tan interior and I believe it has all the options except for the mark levinson stereo, Are there any other options for 06 that were optional? Anyway I picked up the car clean car fax for $20,700 is that a good deal? Car is very clean. I just did throw a new set of Bridgestone Ecopia tires on it since the others were worn, and I serviced wit with Castrol Syntech 5w-30, I used 5 quarts and a bosch distance plus oil filter. Does all this sound ok, anything I should know to do sine I am new to the car? Was wondering what octane do you guys run in your RX's I have 93 octane available to me here in Maryland, was planning on just using super unleaded. Any information you guys can give me about the car or any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated look forward to searching around the site, and getting your guys thoughts and info on subjects!!
Old 08-09-12, 11:04 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, sounds like you got a great deal!

Check the cabin air filter behind the glove box, many people forget to replace those. You can use 87 octane with no problems - premium is not required for this car. I usually get premium since it seems I get slightly better MPGs, but it may be in my head. Try a few tanks of each and compare.

The only options I'm aware of other than the ML stereo is AWD and the towing prep package, which most of the RX400h's in the US have.

There are several tips and tricks here.
Old 08-10-12, 01:12 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the ISC reset was done. Needs this if the battery was disconnected, replaced or run down below 7 volts or so. Many have seen an increase in fuel economy after doing the ISC reset.
Old 08-10-12, 08:27 PM
blubyu88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I believe I did the ISC reset right, let me know if I did this correctly. I first warmed the car up to normal operating conditions, after that I left the car in D, revved the motor up seen the electric meter budge a little bit, but could not get it half way up like the procedure said, did that for 30 seconds. Turned car off for 5 seconds, then started it, tapped pedal till engine started then let the electric motor kick in, once the electric kicked in I turned off the car again, then restarted and drove off. Whew what a mouthful lol. Still early to tell by I was getting 24 mpg and 23, now the car is sayin 31 MPG in the past 4 miles. Anything I should notice if I did it right? Thanks for the helpful answers and suggestions guys!
Old 08-10-12, 09:55 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn the car off for 5 seconds, start it, slowly push the gas pedal down until the ICE (internal combustion engine - AKA gas engine) starts.....once ICE starts, let it run until it shuts off by itself. Then the ISC reset is done. You should notice that you can run on electric for longer, and the ICE won't start at the slightest touch of the gas pedal.

Be aware that when it gets colder (not sure how cold Maryland gets) the ICE will tend to run more often - this doesn't mean you need to do the ISC reset, it just means it's cold out. The ISC reset should only need doing when the battery is disconnected or run down for some reason. I've seen mileage change from 8.1 l/100km to 10ish l/100km when winter arrives. The ICE just has to run more often when it's cold outside to produce heat for the cabin and to keep the catalytic converter hotish for emisssions reasons.

Last edited by rcy; 08-10-12 at 10:03 PM.