Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

rx400h 2008 sound from right rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 08:59 AM
crocodiled
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx400h 2008 sound from right rear

Hi guys,

My 2008 rx400h has a noise coming from the passenger rear wheel when driving. Sounds like the engine is stuck in second gear, but there are no warning lights or performance issues. The sound does not change with speed that much. Any ideas. Approx 62,000 miles on the vehicle.
Thanks
DD
Old 06-19-12, 09:27 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. You may want to have the Lexus dealership check it out. It might be a wheel bearing problem. If so it would be covered under the extended drivetrain warranty (70k).
Old 06-19-12, 09:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, crocodiled.

I concur with Rainbird in that this is more than likely a rear wheel bearing. Would this by chance be an AWD model? If you use the search features here for the forum you will find a number of threads for existing problems and solutions for most all questions you might have. For example, in this case you might have found the following thread on this topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ear-rx330.html
Old 06-20-12, 07:02 AM
Jla614
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise from the rear

(That title looks a little funny.)

I had the same situation last year with my '04 rx330. My kids heard a whirring noise from the rear wheels for a few months. I chalked it up to tire noise, road noise. Wrong! The right rear wheel bearing was wearing out at about 115,000 miles. Repair was about $400 in an independent shop.
Good luck.
Old 06-25-12, 02:25 PM
crocodiled
Driver School Candidate

Default Wheel Bearing

Thanks guys,

I originally did not think it was a wheel bearing because the wheel hub was not hot to the touch after a long drive. Turns out to be the wheel bearing according to the dealer. Having it replaced thursday. I will look into the extended warranty. Thanks again for the info and heads up.
Old 06-25-12, 04:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crocodiled
Thanks guys,

I originally did not think it was a wheel bearing because the wheel hub was not hot to the touch after a long drive. Turns out to be the wheel bearing according to the dealer. Having it replaced thursday. I will look into the extended warranty. Thanks again for the info and heads up.
Check out the Powertrain Warranty:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce/warranty.do
Old 06-28-12, 04:14 AM
crocodiled
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty rear wheel bearing

I am having trouble getting a response from a Canadian Lexus dealer regarding the warranty on my rx400h wheel bearing replacement. The closest Lexus dealer is 250 miles away so I brought the vehicle to our local Toyota dealer. He will replace it but needs authorization from a Lexus dealer service manager to cover the cost. I purchased the vehicle in the US and live in Canada. Should I contact Lexus Canada or the original US dealer who sold me the vehicle?
Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-28-12, 09:00 AM
crocodiled
Driver School Candidate

Default Caution re:Lexus Canada Customer Satisfaction

I live in Northern Ontario and love my Lexus RX400h but......
I was arranging to bring it in for service in Toronto and unfortunately my wheel bearing failed. It was under warranty but just over roadside assistance coverage and I could not drive south so I brought it in to the local Toyota dealer. I notified the dealer in Toronto and requested them to arrange for the warranty work to be done here. No response. I asked the Toyota dealer service manager to contact the Lexus dealer service manager. The Lexus service manager did not respond. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction and asked them what I should do. They called the Toronto dealer. They informed me the Toronto dealer would not authorize the warranty work at a Toyota dealer but did not say why. (It says one can do this in the warranty book) . Customer satisfaction then gave me the name of another Lexus dealer closer to northern ontario who might do this for me. The Toyota dealer then contacted this Lexus dealer. They would not authorize the warranty work and said I could flatbed my vehicle to them and they would be glad to do the work. OK... I called Lexus Customer satisfaction back. This time the customer servuice agent was not so congenial and insisted I must bring my vehicle to the southern dealer. I could have it fixed at the Toyota dealer if I wanted and then submit a request for reimbursement from the Toronto dealer but there was no guarantee I would be reimbursed. pg 14 of my warranty manual states " This excellent warranty coverage demonstrates not only our confidence in Lexus vehicles, but also our committment to every Lexus customer". I will let you be the judge of their committment.