Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Lexus Service vs Toyota vs Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 11:32 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Service vs Toyota vs Jiffy Lube

I just bought my wife a 2006 400h with 79k miles. since i'm past warranty, i don't feel it's completely necessary to have lexus do all the service intervals. light just came on the dash for next service interval the 80,000 service. this, as well as the 85k, are basically oil change and tire rotation with some bolt torquing. here's the service intervals-
http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...?page_offset=2

I prefer to go somewhere where the records report to carfax instead of doing them myself (for future resale purposes). so here's my questions...

1. is there any difference on the oil change from dealership vs jiffy lube, mobil 1, valvoline and quickie oil change services?

2. if i go to jiffy lube etc, should i use a premium oil over their normal?

3. how important are the torquing of the bolts? can i simply wait until 90k extensive service and not worry about the next 10k miles?

4. when i do the 90k service, is there anything the lexus dealership would do that a toyota dealership wouldn't? or since the highlander is equivalent, it's all the same.

thanks to all in this forum what a great service!
Old 06-06-12, 01:37 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

goto Toyota with a coupon on the dealer's website for the oil change..

I never understood why people goto jiffy lube for a higher price than the dealer.
Old 06-06-12, 01:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Quality of the oil filter used is one difference. Cheap filters used by many quick lube shops to save money.

2. Don't.

3. Very little gets torqued. Little worries here.

4. Toyota and Lexus would be very much the same as they use the shop book/computer info which states what needs done for your vehicle.

I concur with joedaddy1. Check your area Toyota shop for an online coupon. They may also have a quick lube service to get you in and out fast. They will use the appropriate oils and filters for your vehicle. Also, by using the Toyota shop they are familiar with the hybrid and will be more attentive to looking for possible leaks, etc.

Remember, your tires will need rotated as well. Toyota will be more likely to torque them to the correct value.
Old 06-06-12, 04:14 PM
glassmanj
Driver

bummer, no local coupons here in louisville for oil changes. 15% for timing belt but thats next year.
Old 06-07-12, 12:39 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

1. Jiffy Lube use cheap oil and often don't change the filter (check out Jiffy lube scam on youtube)

2. No Jiffy Lube, got to Toyota
Old 06-07-12, 12:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glassmanj
bummer, no local coupons here in louisville for oil changes. 15% for timing belt but thats next year.
It does show that they have an Express Lube at several locations. Give them a call to see what they would charge. You may find that a coupon is not needed.

http://www.toyota.com/dealers/Kentuc...lle/index.html
Old 06-07-12, 04:56 PM
glassmanj
Driver

i've decided to stick with dealership. i think $120 is a lot for the service but the fact they know what they're doing, i get a car wash, a loaner car, and very nice lounge, i'll pay the little extra. although when the timing belt comes time i think i'll go to toyota and use the coupon. thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-10-12, 07:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

OH man why did you ask the questions...Everybody suggest the Toyota dealership....Probably half the price at the express lube at toyota, then you could enjoy a nice evening out with dinner.
Old 06-10-12, 09:49 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

i've decided to stick with dealership. i think $120 is a lot for the service but the fact they know what they're doing, i get a car wash, a loaner car, and very nice lounge, i'll pay the little extra. although when the timing belt comes time i think i'll go to toyota and use the coupon. thanks for all the advice!
Are you sure you get a loaner? Anything less than 2 hrs at the local dealerships during the work week and you are not eligible for one.

The Toyota shop should be less than half.
Old 06-11-12, 01:22 PM
glassmanj
Driver

Just got back from Lexus of Louisville and I'm convinced the dealership is the way to go. I booked appt. for 80k service online and requested loaner. Not a problem at all. They requested that I simply return with gas tank at same level. They listed level as 1/2 tank on form but it was actually Full. So I don't think they really care whether you refill or not. I think simply most people would refill anyways out of plain decency so I bet they don't even bother checking. We only drove 10 miles so the needle didn't move at all.

Additionally, I brought the TSB notice about the ISC reset after battery change and they did that reset free of charge!

I also told them one of the license plate screws had broken off and they drilled it out and retapped threads with new screw FREE of charge!

Next, I lost one of the simple push connectors for the cover panel by your feet and they replaced that FREE also.

and finally, the service rate was $120 but they signed me for their VIP rewards last time I was in and they automatically give you 10% discount + 5% rewards bonus for future purchase. my final cost after taxes was $113. and we get free car wash to boot. and they called when done so we didn't have to wait at all.

that may be a little expensive compared to Toyota, but the Quality of service we received, they extra mile they went, on top of the loaner vehicle and the atmosphere they provide if you must wait in their shop, is simply outstanding and to me that's how you build customer loyalty. If you are going to charge me more, let me see why and they certainly do. we've gone from a corolla to an avalon and now a 400h and we're pretty sure we'll be lifetime Lexus owners. btw, getting 28mpg average with our 400h.
Old 06-11-12, 07:23 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

sounds like you received great service....enjoy.
Old 06-13-12, 10:31 AM
riwyle
Rookie

Default Service

Would not get that service in So Cal. Especially a loaner for a short job.
Maybe I should move to KY

R Wyle
Old 06-14-12, 08:23 AM
jjpark712
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a friend that used to work at jiffy. Drain b fill with recycled cheap oil. Doesn't matter your car calls for 5-10,5-30,10-40. They'll just put what ever they have. If they don't have a tool or oil filter is hard to get to, forget it no changing filter there.
Old 06-14-12, 12:53 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjpark712
Have a friend that used to work at jiffy. Drain b fill with recycled cheap oil. Doesn't matter your car calls for 5-10,5-30,10-40. They'll just put what ever they have. If they don't have a tool or oil filter is hard to get to, forget it no changing filter there.
And this is why I do my own maintenance to my cars.
Old 06-22-12, 07:23 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

is there any difference on the oil change from dealership vs jiffy lube, mobil 1, valvoline and quickie oil change services?
A bit subjective but I'd never use a quick oil change place. Jiffy Lube, for example, just has too many horror stories (from people I know and posted online) associated with it for me. If you're going to rely on a shop to do maintenance and/or service then use a reputable shop.

Quick Reply: Lexus Service vs Toyota vs Jiffy Lube