Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Would you buy a high mileage 450h

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 05:59 PM
JooNe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a high mileage 450h

I seen a 450h with 130k for 17,900. the car fax said the battery was replaced in Nov at 120k. It's a one owner vehicle also
Old 05-18-12, 08:10 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Which battery? The car has two! One worth about $100 and another worth over $5000...

But to answer your question, Ya I would consider a high mileage 450h PROVIDED that it has a nice and complete maintenance report.
Old 05-19-12, 08:44 AM
JooNe
Driver School Candidate

Good question. I'll call and find out
Old 06-02-12, 06:06 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm getting very comfortable with this battery. The Lex Service mngr and I talk when I get my oil changed and he showed me a RX450h with over 230K. He told me he has see quite a few up in the 200k range. He has replaced a few as well but the mileage on replacing was always under 80K

A very small percentage of Toyota batteries fail.
Old 06-07-12, 07:49 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't hesitate. The GS Hybrid platform is a phenomenal vehicle and Lexus stands behind their cars 100%

Last year I was told by my Lexus dealer that corporate has an "unwritten policy" of replacing any and all Hybrid components under unlimited warranty because they want the parts back to reverse engineer the failures as well as taking care of their customers, hoping to promote brand loyalty.

I am forced to sell my 2007 GS405h because my wife is going to grad school and we need to make some financial cutbacks while she's in school.

Let me know if you're interested...

Last edited by bamachem; 06-07-12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 04:59 AM
hdlex
Driver School Candidate

I bought mine at around 69k kms and sold it to a friend at 90k kms, other than the usual wear and tear the car was very reliable even to this day friend has not had any problems.
Old 08-28-12, 09:35 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hybrid/traction battery is meant to last the life of the car. They have done a pretty good job of that. The odds of it failing on you are against your favor. (knock on wood)
Old 09-16-12, 06:32 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bamachem
I wouldn't hesitate. The GS Hybrid platform is a phenomenal vehicle and Lexus stands behind their cars 100%

Last year I was told by my Lexus dealer that corporate has an "unwritten policy" of replacing any and all Hybrid components under unlimited warranty because they want the parts back to reverse engineer the failures as well as taking care of their customers, hoping to promote brand loyalty.
Well let's not get too carried away about this unwritten policy. They are certainly not obligated to replace hybrid components, but it's reasonable to expect the 1ST out of warranty (100,000 miles) hybrid failure to partially or completely covered. This has been the case in the past.

And since the components are very reliable, it's almost unheard of to have 2 hybrid failures outside of the 100,000 mile warranty.

But to answer the question, go for it. and change the smog sensitivity setting down to level 2 of 7. Helps keep the battery cool.

But you are buying a car with some miles on it. Any car with that many miles can have problems and money should be saved for that reason. Still, the hybrids are very reliable, sometimes more reliable than the regular cars. Save money though......even something like the Nav screen going out can be costly.
Old 02-19-13, 04:59 PM
cindytoo
Driver School Candidate

Default GS450h hybrid battery failed at 73K :(

I had to replace the hybrid battery in my 2007 GS450h (Neiman Marcus edition #38) at 73,000 miles. Covered by warranty. But still unsettling. Am looking at 2013 RX450h....and wondering how I will like it after driving the GS450h which I LOVE.
Old 03-12-13, 07:33 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cindytoo - just curious what warranty covered that, did you purchase an extended one or is the hybrid battery warrantied longer? Also, what happened - just stop working?
Old 03-13-13, 06:26 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rhwimmers
Cindytoo - just curious what warranty covered that, did you purchase an extended one or is the hybrid battery warrantied longer? Also, what happened - just stop working?
Your battery is covered to 100k. same with your inverter, hybrid ECU, and hybrid cooling system.
If your battery takes a **** at 110k miles. Lexus will most likely still cover it. As long as you have good maintenance hx with Lexus
Old 03-18-13, 01:32 PM
cindytoo
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 GS450h hybrid battery died at 75K

Originally Posted by rhwimmers
The "hybrid system" indicator light came on, then went off. I called the dealer and they said don't worry about it -- that the indicators/sensors sometimes just come on for no real reason. A few weeks later, the indicator came on again -- and this time it stayed on. The car did not stop or anything like that. But I was out running errands and did not want to get stranded so I drove straight to the dealer. They kept it to diagnose and called the next day saying the hybrid battery pack had to be replaced. Since they don't stock them, it took two weeks to get my car back. At 75K miles, it was completely covered by warranty. I don't have an extended warranty -- as previous poster said, the hybrid battery is covered to 100K miles. I absolutely LOVE this car -- the GS450h is so much fun to drive and I hate to get rid of it. But I am a real wimp when it comes to car problems, so I am seriously considering selling it before I get to 100K miles and since I don't want to pay as much for a car this next time, I am seriously considering a new ES300h.
Old 03-25-13, 07:37 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

cindy - your in VA. i would buy your GS. A new batt is a good thing.
Old 03-27-13, 08:32 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

High mileage yea i would buy again, i bought my car with 147,000kms or 91,000 miles.
And the battery had been replaced so i was told.
I dropped it off at Lexus where it was serviced and bought from for 120+145 service.
They told me the batteries in back dont just get replaced on their own, they also replace the inverter which is $2000, the start battery which is a special one from Japan $800 and the 150+kg of batterys in the boot around $5000.
They do them all together usually i have had no problems with mine.
Although im now investigating the idea of a gearbox service, to flush out the oil and replace and do an injector clean cause mileage has dropped a little.
The cars now at 158,000km and has been going strong. I do need to replace shocks, im saving for 4 new factory ones, been told they are $822 each here in Sydney
Old 03-27-13, 08:36 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bamachem

I was also told similar by my Service Manager at Lexus
"If you have any issues with batteries in warranty or not, Lexus would want to know about it and pretty sure they would replace anything, they dont like having their cars broken down"

Quick Reply: Would you buy a high mileage 450h