Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Why so few?

Old 05-08-12, 06:37 PM
nantang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so few?

I got dibs on the ONE GS450h heading to my dealership next month. They've got about 30 non-hybrid GS350s, including several F-Sports. Given Lexus' commitment to hybrid power plants, why aren't there more GS450h'es?
Old 05-15-12, 01:41 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that that those in the market for a hybrid are not looking to drop 60K (at least at the moment). Those folks who are looking are probably looking more at the Camry and Prius.
Old 05-15-12, 03:46 PM
skxm5
Driver School Candidate

I just priced one out on the Lexus site, and fully loaded this car is over $70K.

That is just too much $$$ for that car.
Old 05-15-12, 09:27 PM
LexFather

10% of the volume is going to 450hs...Lexus in the USA is selling around 2200 a month so that would be 200-250 a month. That is pretty much one a dealership across America if they were distributed evenly.

Its a tough market, tough sell even with its MPG rating unless Lexus marketing/ads hits a grand slam to sell this car. The M35h sells like crap, the Panamera S is more expensive and sells poor and expensive hybrid sedans are a very tough/small market.

I get asked to this day "Where do you plug it in"
Old 05-16-12, 02:30 PM
nantang
Driver

Simply ahead of it's time; hybrid luxury cars and the almost inevitable long-range all-electrics like Tesla's Model S are coming. The plug-in GS will happen in a few years. Emission standards will reach the luxury market even if people here aren't worried about the price of gas. (On a related note, inflation will make $70,000 the price of a Camry or Prius.)

If you aren't worried about global warming, then worry about the research and development of electric motors with instant-on torque, that will eventually squash gas engines like a bug. Batteries today may only offer hundred mile ranges for $50,000 or two hundred for $100,000, but already battery technology in development can make possible ranges of over 1000 miles between charges. Tesla and the likes are Silicon Valley types who are used to Moore's Law, doubling performance every eighteen months. They might not get that rate with automobiles, but they're going to try. Once you can wake up every morning with a full tank for ten cents a "gallon" with a family wagon that goes from zero to sixty in under four seconds, at the same price point as gas-driven cars, the internal combustion engine will be a historic relic really quickly.
Old 06-18-12, 08:42 PM
nantang
Driver

Good news! I may be the first, but I don't have to be the only for long. Park Place already has one coming soon--price is "ask" and no mention of specs or color. Sewell, however, lists eight coming soon, including a gray one with Luxury, so somebody is going to get the triple headlamps soon. None of these have my driver alertness monitor, but they all sem to have Mark Levinson audio and navigation. I hope to see some siblings soon!
Old 06-26-12, 03:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nantang
Good news! I may be the first, but I don't have to be the only for long. Park Place already has one coming soon--price is "ask" and no mention of specs or color. Sewell, however, lists eight coming soon, including a gray one with Luxury, so somebody is going to get the triple headlamps soon. None of these have my driver alertness monitor, but they all sem to have Mark Levinson audio and navigation. I hope to see some siblings soon!
it seems like availability starts from July actually... still no real stock of them anywhere.
Old 06-26-12, 04:40 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a fully loaded silver gs hybrid at lexus of Austin last friday. I couldn't test drive it since it was someone's special order, might show up on forum soon.
I was going to get gs hybrid but there were only 2 headed to Austin for July and those 2 were all sold... so I went with F-Sport instead =)
Old 06-27-12, 03:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Price is definitely the biggest turn off. It's a solid car and drives well. I would like it to have a bit more oomph. Guess I'll have to wait for the F hah
Old 07-01-12, 12:48 PM
nantang
Driver

It seems that the first rounds are all pre-sold. I had the right idea. Maybe this will also encourage Lexus to step up production and delivery in the U.S., and maybe even offer those of us here the F-Sport hybrid.
Old 07-11-12, 05:17 PM
gyung
Pole Position

I'm wondering how people are getting these prices:

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/l...ColorId=919326

I emailed a couple dealers, all of them were selling at sticker except one that gave ~$1k discount.

Yeah it's new, it's low volume, but I can't imagine that many people buying them yet either. Even with all the nifty features, I still find it hard to swallow the $12k premium over a GS350 F-Sport. I'm considering just going for an A7 or something...
Old 07-11-12, 08:06 PM
Mgoblue96
Driver School Candidate

I will be getting mine (on order) for $1800 below MSRP. Well equipped. But, not a good price on trade-in. Took two dealers to get there as the first was at MSRP and $500 higher on trade in.
Old 07-14-12, 06:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gyung
I'm wondering how people are getting these prices:

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/l...ColorId=919326

I emailed a couple dealers, all of them were selling at sticker except one that gave ~$1k discount.

Yeah it's new, it's low volume, but I can't imagine that many people buying them yet either. Even with all the nifty features, I still find it hard to swallow the $12k premium over a GS350 F-Sport. I'm considering just going for an A7 or something...
there are so few of them right now, dealers will not deal... wait until september at least and you should get better offer... car literally started getting in.
Old 09-02-12, 05:24 PM
TDonovan
Driver School Candidate

Definitely tough to find. A local dealer actually had just one on the back lot. Nearby dealers had zero. A few options, not luxury package. Got $3500 off MSRP yet had to use some "specials" - $1500 conquest credit for being a Caddy owner, $1000 lexus driving event coupon, and then about $1000 of haggling... Separately, dealer offered $250 over invoice for a gas with luxury package.
Old 09-04-12, 09:39 AM
LexFather

^^ Nice deal

My dealer has had 2 tops I believe...65k or so..... Lexus has done NOTHING to promote this new model by itself. All the ads are full corporate ads with no shine for the 450h.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why so few?