Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

They really are fair-weather friends!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 05:45 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default They really are fair-weather friends!

This is not going to be a revelation to experienced hybrid operators, but it should be useful to someone who has never had one and is thinking about those juicy mpg numbers hybrids seem to get.

We bought our first hybrid, a 2008 RX400h with 18,000 miles in December 2011. We live in MI.
It's my wife's car and she has a VERY short all in-town commute. About 2.5 miles. We had a 2004 RX330 before and she was getting about 16-18 mpg in-town with it. (It was destroyed by a woman who was driving HUA and rear-ended the RX330. Jerk.)

Anyway, from December until a week ago we were were having a mild, but still cool-cold winter with T's in the 20's and 30's. My wife got a routine 18 mpg with the RX400h in her short commute. I was VERY disappointed...nowhere near the 26 mpg on the EPA sticker, but actually, about what CR got. My wife was giving me the "And exactly why did you want a hybrid?" look.

Then, all of a sudden, it got very warm for a week or two. I mean with one day the T getting into the upper 80's and a lot of days in the lower 80's. The mileage on the RX400h immediately shot up to over 25 mpg and up to 29 mpg on short stretches. Plus whereas when it was cold it NEVER ran very long on electric power, now it would run on electric for quite a while (many minutes) at speeds up to 40 mph. This was a night/day change with the commute route being EXACTLY the same.

Now all cars get better mileage in warm weather than in cold, but based on our experience with the RX400h (and a friend's similar experience with a Fusion hybrid) you take a MUCH bigger hit with a hybrid than with a straight gas car in cold weather. My 1992 LS400 does 12-14 mpg in winter vs 16 mpg in summer in city driving. Our RX330 did about 16 mpg in winter vs. about 18 mpg in warm weather. The RX400h does 18 mpg vs. almost 26 mpg cold weather vs. warm. BIG difference.

This may be why when CR tested an RX400h they only reported about 18 mpg city.

Last edited by nopcbs; 04-05-12 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Because.
Old 03-26-12, 05:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

From what someone at teh dealer told me, not sure if its true, in cold weather the hybrid systems don't really do much especially if they haven't warmed up, especially with a very short commute on top of extremely cold weather
Old 03-26-12, 08:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why I love diesels. Have always been hoping that Toyota/Lexus would bring some to the states. Sure, the fuel is more expensive. Still, the additional cost over a gas engine is less than a hybrid and the technology is much simpler. And when it comes to MPG, you are more likely to get what is on the sticker than not and sometimes on the highway you will get much more.

I understand the reason and need for hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles. Living in FL we have access to electricity created mainly from nuclear and natural gas compared to other areas of the country using coal. Homeowners with plug-in hybrids can also take advantage of solar for recharging. Even the Honda Civic CNG makes sense for individuals like myself who live in areas supported with natural gas hookups at the house allowing me to refuel at home if desired. These technologies have their limitations such as range, however, for the majority of my travels I would rarely be out of range.

Still, I think the whole hybrid thing has been overhyped. For now, you buy a hybrid because you can and not because it makes financial sense.
Old 03-26-12, 08:11 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

The RX400h is my first hybrid and I am really impressed with it. Makes me a better driver overall due to me maximizing the use out of the traction battery. My daily drive to work.
Attached Thumbnails They really are fair-weather friends!-img_3826.jpg  
Old 03-26-12, 08:18 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When warm weather arrives and stays, see what mileage you're getting, then disconnect the battery, and see what your mileage is. Then do the ISC reset. Check your mileage again. I won't say I told you so.
Old 03-30-12, 05:49 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Wow

You are running on battery a lot! I've seen a little over 30 mpg for a very sort distances (like a mile), but getting 35 mpg over a half hour is astonishing.

That is WAY above either EPA estimate.

This isn't a down-hill run, is it?

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by IS350S
The RX400h is my first hybrid and I am really impressed with it. Makes me a better driver overall due to me maximizing the use out of the traction battery. My daily drive to work.

Last edited by nopcbs; 04-05-12 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Because.
Old 03-30-12, 06:02 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Diesels are great, but...

I have a 2006 MB E320 CDI. I love the thing being such a torque monster and the 38 mpg highway, but it is not a great city mileage machine and that is especially true in cool weather. My experience telle me that diesels are about as cold blooded as hybrids and do best once warmed up. The pity is that MB refuses to put block warmers in their US diesels, so you get to do the warmup by driving it...and getting crappy mileage. They do put them in in Canada.

Diesels are fantasic at highway speeds, but mileage drops off greatly in acceleration. This means that the ideal mileage machine would be a diesel hybrid. It would be very pricey, but both city and highway numbers would be through the roof. Being done, too, by Peugeot with their 60 mpg 3008 Hybrid4, much to the German's shame. Nice, but very, very pricey. VW was to do a diesel hybrid Golf, but backed out as they thought it too expensive to sell. A pity.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Why I love diesels. Have always been hoping that Toyota/Lexus would bring some to the states. Sure, the fuel is more expensive. Still, the additional cost over a gas engine is less than a hybrid and the technology is much simpler. And when it comes to MPG, you are more likely to get what is on the sticker than not and sometimes on the highway you will get much more.

I understand the reason and need for hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles. Living in FL we have access to electricity created mainly from nuclear and natural gas compared to other areas of the country using coal. Homeowners with plug-in hybrids can also take advantage of solar for recharging. Even the Honda Civic CNG makes sense for individuals like myself who live in areas supported with natural gas hookups at the house allowing me to refuel at home if desired. These technologies have their limitations such as range, however, for the majority of my travels I would rarely be out of range.

Still, I think the whole hybrid thing has been overhyped. For now, you buy a hybrid because you can and not because it makes financial sense.
Old 03-30-12, 11:53 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Originally Posted by nopcbs
You are running on battery a lot! I've seen a little over 30 mpg for a verys sort distance (like a mile), but getting 35 mpg over a half hour is astonishing.

That is WAY above either EPA estimate.

This isn't a down-hill run, is it?

- nopcbs
There are small hills from my house to my workplace. From my workplace to my house, I average around 26-27 mpg.
Old 03-31-12, 07:32 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your trip computer mileage closely match what you would calculate manually when you fill the car up? I've noticed that with my car, the trip computer's mileage is a bit optimistic (28.2 mpg vs. 24.8 calculated). I've heard that many cars have overly optimistic trip computers, but my previous cars were pretty much spot on.

Very impressive mileage, nonetheless.

Thanks,

Jeff
08 RX400h
Old 03-31-12, 06:54 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

I reset the mpg calculator at every fill up and it's pretty much on point...off by .1 if anything. Average at the end of the tank 27-28 mpg, I usually get around 480-490 miles.
Old 03-31-12, 07:02 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 MB E320 CDI. I love the thing being such a torque monster and the 38 mpg highway, but it is not a great city mileage machine and that is especially true in cool weather. My experience telle me that diesels are about as cold blooded as hybrids and do best once warmed up. The pity is that MB refuses to put block warmers in their US diesels, so you get to do the warmup by driving it...and getting crappy mileage. They do put them in in Canada.

Diesels are fantasic at highway speeds, but mileage drops off greatly in acceleration. This means that the ideal mileage machine would be a diesel hybrid. It would be very pricey, but both city and highway numbers would be through the roof. Being done, too, by Peugeot with their 60 mpg 3008 Hybrid4, much to the German's shame. Nice, but very, very pricey. VW was to do a diesel hybrid Golf, but backed out as they thought it too expensive to sell. A pity.

- nopcbs
I'm with you on the diesel thing. I have a 2001 VW Golf TDI 5-speed and use to get 48mpg when stock; after larger injector nozzles, ECU reprograming, and wider sport tires, I'm getting about 44mpg. What's astonishing is that I get 28mpg on the racetrack (Buttonwillow). MB announced a 4-cyl diesel-electric hybrid under Daimler for the E-Class that should net 56mpg.

As for the Lexus, I bought my wife a used 2007 400h with 85K miles on it. The battery, tires, and windshield were replaced at the Jeep dealership before I bought it. We'd average 25mpg driving 50/50 city/fwy over 3 tanks. After resetting the ISC, we are averaging 27mpg on the last two tanks.
Old 04-01-12, 10:20 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maximizese
As for the Lexus, I bought my wife a used 2007 400h with 85K miles on it. The battery, tires, and windshield were replaced at the Jeep dealership before I bought it. We'd average 25mpg driving 50/50 city/fwy over 3 tanks. After resetting the ISC, we are averaging 27mpg on the last two tanks.
Battery replaced, 25mpg. ISC reset done after battery replaced and 27mpg.

Nice. Just pointing this out for the ISC reset doubters.
Old 04-05-12, 06:44 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default It got cooler and down the mpg went

Well, it turned cool again (40's and 50's) and the mileage on our RX400h dropped accordingly. Instead of the 25.5 mpg my wife was getting, when we had that spell of 80's, around town, it went down to 22 mpg.

The thing is a very eleaborate thermometer!

Hey, here's a coming threat for Lexus. MB is upgrading their GLK cross-over to include a 2.1 L 190 hp 369 lb-ft diesel that a MB engineer says will get high 30's on the highway and mid-20's city.

369 lb-ft out of a 2.1 L diesel! Holy cow. That's what the 3.2 L CDI turbo-diesel in our 2006 E-Class produces. Amazing.

Lexus...we need diesels!

- nopcbs

This is not going to be a revelation to experienced hybrid operators, but it should be useful to someone who has never had one and is thinking about those juicy mpg numbers hybrids seem to get.

We bought our first hybrid, a 2008 RX400h with 18,000 miles in December 2011. We live in MI.
It's my wife's car and she has a VERY short all in-town commute. About 2.5 miles. We had a 2004 RX330 before and she was getting about 16-18 mpg in-town with it. (It was destroyed by a woman who was driving HUA and rear-ended the RX330. Jerk.)

Anyway, from December until a week ago we were were having a mild, but still cool-cold winter with T's in the 20's and 30's. My wife got a routine 18 mpg with the RX400h in her short commute. I was VERY disappointed...nowhere near the 26 mpg on the EPA sticker, but actually, about what CR got. My wife was giving me the "And exactly why did you want a hybrid?" look.

Then, all of a sudden, it got very warm for a week or two. I mean with one day the T getting into the upper 80's and a lot of days in the lower 80's. The mileage on the RX400h immediately shot up to over 25 mpg and up to 29 mpg on short stretches. Plus whereas when it was coold it NEVER ran very long on electric power, now it would run on electric for quite a while (many minutes) at speeds up to 40 mph. This was a night/day change with the commute route being EXACTLY the same.

Now all cars get better mileage in warm weather than in cold, but based on our experience with the RX400h (and a friend's similar experience with a Fusion hybrid) you take a MUCH bigger hit with a hybrid than with a straight gas car in cold weather. My 1992 LS400 does 12-14 mpg in winter vs 16 mpg in summer in city driving. Our RX330 did about 16 mpg in winter vs. about 18 mpg in warm weather. The RX400h does 18 mpg vs. almost 26 mpg cold weather vs. warm. BIG difference.

This may be why when CR tested an RX400h they only reported about 18 mpg city.

Last edited by nopcbs; 04-05-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Because.