Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Bought new RX450h - thoughts on extended warranty or Xzilon protection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 01:29 PM
dodgerslee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought new RX450h - thoughts on extended warranty or Xzilon protection?

Just bought a new 2012 RX 450h. Anyone have thoughts on whether I should get the extended warranty and what I should be paying for it?

Also, they tried to push Xzilon protection for $1221.50 which they told me was $21.50 over dealer cost. I am expecting twin babies. Is it worth it?
Old 03-26-12, 01:50 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Jonathon,
Welcome to the forum.

1st re: the warranty, you have to weigh that yourself. With the positive experience I've had in the past, I chose not to get it. Others like the peace of mind. But the price does vary from dealer to dealer cause it's loaded with profit so shop it around. One thing for sure, you don't need it when the car is new and you can buy it as long as the car is still under factory warranty. If I had to give advice, it would be to be patient and shop the price. You have the time.

RE: the paint protection, I wash my car myself and apply wax myself. When I'm not driving it, it's in the garage out of the weather. So I definitely chose not to get it. Some think the film on the hood and mirrors is more valuable. But I try to stay back from vehicles on the highway so the odds of catching a rock are minimized (but could still happen). Weigh the cost of repair (if you think something 'would' happen) over the cost of protection.

Again, welcome to the forum.

BTW, the decision of which car to buy was definitely the correct one
Originally Posted by dodgerslee
Just bought a new 2012 RX 450h. Anyone have thoughts on whether I should get the extended warranty and what I should be paying for it?

Also, they tried to push Xzilon protection for $1221.50 which they told me was $21.50 over dealer cost. I am expecting twin babies. Is it worth it?

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-26-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 03:03 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the extended warr. if only because I plan to keep the car. I would not get the paint protection but would put some of that money into paint protection film or Clear Bra to help with stone chips if nothing else. Dont buy from the dealer as they farm it out and charge you too much.
Old 03-26-12, 07:20 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I bought the extended warr. if only because I plan to keep the car. I would not get the paint protection but would put some of that money into paint protection film or Clear Bra to help with stone chips if nothing else. Dont buy from the dealer as they farm it out and charge you too much.
Agreed. A clear bra is a much better route to go... and getting it through an installer will save the dealership markup.
Old 03-27-12, 07:09 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You def don't need "paint protection" as all modern cars have clear coats. Back in 1993 when we I had a Toyota MR2 Turbo in Super Red, they didn't have a clear coat and unfortunately, that color was prone to oxydizing so "paint protection" would have been worth it back then. If there's any kind of "paint protection" that might be worth getting nowadays, it's some kind of clear bra for the front end mainly for rock chips and such. Otherwise, getting any other kind of paint protection is a complete waste of money no matter how long you plan to keep the car. Just care and maintenance will keep the car's paint looking fresh.

As far as ext warranty, as others have mentioned, that's a personal choice. It is insurance and you don't have to buy it now. If you buy it and never use, then it will be seen as a waste of money but at least it gave you peace of mind. Whereas, if you buy it and then use it, you'lll be glad that you have it. Lexus vehicles of course are on the more reliable side of the bell curve but that's not to say that nothing ever breaks. If something does, it could be just a random failure and that's always the unpredictable. My wife's 2002 RX300 with 220k was just sold and it didn't have one problem during the ext warranty period. It only had the common broken antennae and that was maybe about 6 months or a year ago, so at about 190k or 200k miles. The radio still works so it wasn't worth us getting it fixed.

We've pruchased ext warranties just because we prefer to have that peace of mind and because the cars are getting more and more complicated and generally if something does require repair, it's a lot of money just for them to even look at it.

We have an ext warranty on my BMW and it already paid for itself and then some. They wanted something like $400 just to look at a particular problem and when they figured out what was wrong, it was determined that they needed a new DME (basically a new ECU). What can possibly go wrong where a new car needs a new DME(ECU)? Oh well. That's a BMW for you.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-27-12, 06:32 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerslee

I have seen Xzilon protection for sale on ebay for $20. Even the Mercedes dealer charges much less than $1221.50!

No sense buying the extended warranty now. You can buy it anytime in the next 4 years at a big discount from out of state Toyota or Lexus dealers tax free!
Old 03-31-12, 08:54 AM
currybob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel they are a waste of money with these cars and the longer warranty they come with. When you look at this vehicles repair record it are ranked extreamly high and I feel if something is not up to par it should show its head before 4 years and 48k miles. Take that money and use it for your servicings and dont waste on these extended warranties. Just my 2 cents

Bob